Sponsored

Car washes for Jeep with power sky top

Bumbleshoot

First Name
Cindy F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL (w/sky top)
I live in CT and always took my cars to power car washes once a week, especially in the winter months. Does anyone out there know of a type of car wash that is safe for sky top Wranglers? I can’t do it myself in the winter. Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

3A9E1501-C301-4444-89CF-9998F298515B.jpeg
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I live in CT and always took my cars to power car washes once a week, especially in the winter months. Does anyone out there know of a type of car wash that is safe for sky top Wranglers? I can’t do it myself in the winter. Would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Car washes for Jeep with power sky top 3A9E1501-C301-4444-89CF-9998F298515B
I take mine to a hand wash, and it works great!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Does anyone out there know of a type of car wash that is safe for sky top Wranglers? I can’t do it myself in the winter.

3A9E1501-C301-4444-89CF-9998F298515B.jpeg
That's a great looking Sahara.

Not sure if you have any physical limitations, but...when PA winter roads made my soft top YJ filthy, I'd take it to a car wash bay and use the soap brush and spray gun, in turn, to manually wash the vehicle (less the plastic windows, which I'd gently clean at my apartment with a foamy sponge.)

OP
OP

Bumbleshoot

First Name
Cindy F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Not sure if you have any physical limitations, but...when PA winter roads made my soft top YJ filthy, I'd take it to a car wash bay and use the soap brush and spray gun, in turn, to manually wash the vehicle (less the plastic windows, which I'd gently clean at my apartment with a foamy sponge.)
Thanks...I traded in a 2012 Lincoln MKX and 1957 Chevy Bel Air for it! Really wanted this color. Love the power sky top, but not the fact that I can’t take it through a car wash!
No physical limitations, though I am 65, but my head tells me I’m still 30! . I’ve been washing it weekly at my condo, just looking for an easier solution when the weather gets colder. I do have a car wash bay close by, I guess I will do that! Thx so much!

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU

The problem is a lot of guys use the brush to remove heavy mud and other contaminants from their vehicles, then when you go use the brush most of the mud is stuck in the brush and can leave scratches. When I had my Porsche I used to see fine scratches every time I used the brush, until one day I saw a Jeep using a brush to get rid of all the mud!

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The problem is a lot of guys use the brush to remove heavy mud and other contaminants from their vehicles, then when you go use the brush most of the mud is stuck in the brush and can leave scratches.

When I had my Porsche I used to see fine scratches every time I used the brush, until one day I saw a Jeep using a brush to get rid of all the mud!
Yes, sometimes consideration for others is seriously lacking. This isn't limited to the Jeep community, btw. Locally, the Marcellus pipeline crews were leaving the car wash stalls such a mess that the owner put up signage that essentially excluded their work vehicles from entry in the DIY wash bays. It worked.

With the mud-in-brush issue in mind, I purchased a gas pressure washer and several cleaning accessories. I'm loving my insulated garage and [recently widened!] paved driveway. :)

OP
OP

Bumbleshoot

First Name
Cindy F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, sometimes consideration for others is seriously lacking. This isn't limited to the Jeep community, btw. Locally, the Marcellus pipeline crews were leaving the car wash stalls such a mess that the owner put up signage that essentially excluded their work vehicles from entry in the DIY wash bays. It worked.

With the mud-in-brush issue in mind, I purchased a gas pressure washer and several cleaning accessories. I'm loving my insulated garage and [recently widened!] paved driveway. :)
Great, I’ll be over in about 3 hours and you can wash mine!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Great, I’ll be over in about 3 hours and you can wash mine!
As long as you're willing to listen intently to my diatribe about Pennsylvania road construction as I wash your rig, c'mon down! :)

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I would do it without worry (as I do with my sun rider) but I recommend giving it a good cleaning/protection a couple times a year. I use the 303 stuff (I think it's called that) that's highly recommended around these forums.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone recommend a home powerwasher ? I must go thru 20 bucks in quarters at the self wash. I guess a small powerwasher?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
While not exactly the same, I take my soft top through the automatic car wash with brushes almost weekly. The SOT is essentially a hard top on the sides where the brushes will contact it so no worries.
Gregj

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anyone recommend a home powerwasher ? I must go thru 20 bucks in quarters at the self wash. I guess a small powerwasher?
An quality electric pressure washer, of no more than 2,000 PSI, should provide years of yeoman service for car washing duty. Brushless motors will likely provide a longer operating life (for which there is a modest price premium).

Accessories like pivoting couplers and high pressure soap applicators can make the job fun.

My advice: Keep the business end of the wand away from all soft top fabric, and vinyl windows of course (if present). Those parts of the vehicle should be carefully washed, rinsed and dried by hand. A bit of sympathy for fabric and vinyl will add years to their appearance and lifespan.

OP
OP

Bumbleshoot

First Name
Cindy F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An quality electric pressure washer, of no more than 2,000 PSI, should provide years of yeoman service for car washing duty. Brushless motors will likely provide a longer operating life (for which there is a modest price premium).

Accessories like pivoting couplers and high pressure soap applicators can make the job fun.

My advice: Keep the business end of the wand away from all soft top fabric, and vinyl windows of course (if present). Those parts of the vehicle should be carefully washed, rinsed and dried by hand. A bit of sympathy for fabric and vinyl will add years to their appearance and lifespan.
you are obviously much younger than I am, cuz I washed my Jeep this afternoon and it took me 1-1/2 hours. I me I am anal about ‘everything’ being spotless, but not being able to take my car/Jeep to a regular car wash is gonna kill me! Oh well, gotta live with ituntil I buy another!
Sponsored