Car Washes and retractable roofs and Antennas

sbgmed

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Altitude
I have a 2021 Sahara Altitude with an electronic retractable roof. Has anyone had any problems with retractable roofs in Car Washes. Also, I have heard that the antenna on some jeeps have snapped off in car washes. anyone have any experience.
Sponsored

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I’ve taken my Rubi through touchless car washes several times and have no problems with the stock antenna. Don’t know about retractable roofs.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I have a 2021 Sahara Altitude with an electronic retractable roof. Has anyone had any problems with retractable roofs in Car Washes. Also, I have heard that the antenna on some jeeps have snapped off in car washes. anyone have any experience.
Are we talking full blown car wash with the spinning brushes and the whole nine yard? The only issue I had with the soft top and car washed was water being shot into the back top corner of the side windows, as well as above the doors with a strong enough blower. Thats really it though.

God Speed :like:

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I always remove the antenna before going into a carwash. The problem with leaving it on during a carwash is if it breaks off it could damage the jeep as it gets whipped around on one of the brushes. You may need a 3/8 inch wrench the first time you take the antenna off but after that just leave it on finger tight so you can get it off for the next car wash.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I don’t have a SOT, but I do take all three Jeeps through a regular car wash very often. One is a soft top, one has the Besttop Sunrider and the Gladiator has a soft cover on the bed with no problems, I do take off the antenna when I go through just in case.
hth
Gregj

Sponsored

RipperMagooJLUR

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I had no antenna issues in a brushed car wash however the brushes do not hit the back window very well because of the tire. It was still visibly dirty even with the kid hitting it with an hand brush prior... ever sense I’ve done touchless and had way better results even with the heavy trail dust in the desert!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I carry a wrench, specifically for the antenna, in my Jeep. I also have one in my truck. Years ago, the car wash people didnt remove the antenna, and it bent it, and slightly dented the body panel it was attached to. So, I remove it myself, before each wash.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I only use touchless unless I hand wash it.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't take the SOT through a car wash repeatedly. The blowers at the end are just too much pressure for it and will ruin the seal. I have a good friend who brought his through 2X a week for about a year and he had leaks that the dealer was never able to solve. Ended up trading it in ...

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I go through the brushed wash almost weekly. I purchased a quick release antenna base for ease of removal. I think you would have to be nuts to go through a non touchless wash without removing the antenna. If it's touchless it shouldn't be an issue to leave it on.
Sponsored