Car Wash with softtop?

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
I was wondering if anyone has taken their JL through the car wash with their softop on? I have done it with my older TJ with minimal water leaks but am hesitant to do it with my newer JL. I'm more concerned with ruining the Softop than getting some water inside.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was wondering if anyone has taken their JL through the car wash with their softop on? I have done it with my older TJ with minimal water leaks but am hesitant to do it with my newer JL. I'm more concerned with ruining the Softop than getting some water inside.
I wouldn't do it. Even a "touchless" wash bay uses high pressure water spray. As for automatic wash bays that use spinning bristles, etc? Fuhgeddaboudit.

It's instructive to consider the several "No pressure washer" stickers that are evident on the vehicle. If Jeep doesn't want us using spray guns on the engine, how much more so on a fabric top?

Gentle hand washes in the driveway have allowed me to keep my convertible tops looking nice for the long run.

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I did it, zero leaks, but I'm not going to do again as I found it is not really cleaning it well (probably the washer i go is the issue).

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
I go to the DIY car wash and use the high pressure hose to blast the mud off the wheels, wheel wells and bumpers, then give the bodywork a gentle soap spray and rinse. Then I take it home and do a hand wash, chamois dry and Turtle Wax polish. Then I go get the damn thing all muddy again. It's a Jeep thing.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I take mine through the Automatic Carwash at least weekly, Softtop, Hardtop and now the SOT with "zero" issues. Been doing it since I got the thing two years ago. Still looks Great! I do use Plexus on the Softtop windows.
Gregj

Sponsored

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
We have one at work and I use it often. No issues.

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
The soft tops are designed to withstand typical touchless automatic washes. I wouldn't trust them to stand up to the ones with with brushes that touch the vehicle though, but I don't go to those anyways since I don't want the brushes buffing my paint every wash either.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
On a 2 door touchless washes are fine.
I do find washes with strong side pressure leak into the top though. We have one close that the "arm" has 4 hoses that go in a circle, well suddenly I had soap coming in above my door.

Haven't had the same issue with ones that have a more traditional "L" shaped arm.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed

Thanks!
I take mine through at least once a month, no issues, just don't do the higher washes with waxes and stuff, don't want it on your windows

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I do it all the time. 2 door in SW Florida living off a dirt road, love bugs and all means of insects. I have to at least once a week.

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
The user manual states that you should not take it through an automated carwash with the soft top on.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The user manual states that you should not take it through an automated carwash with the soft top on.
My experience has been nothing but positive with any of the tops.
Gregj

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
The reason I would not take a soft top through an automated wash is mostly just for those chemicals. All the waxes and polishes. They made discolor it if you don't get a good rinse.

Cal3san

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2118 3.6L Sport S
I live where bugs are the daily norm. That being said I wash my JL by hand for the simple reason it is good exercise and takes a quarter of the time a run through the carwash takes. Also, I don't have to worry about the side and rear windows getting screwed up.

Speaking of windows I use some stuff originally designed for aircraft. It's called RAIN REPELLENT MAX by Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics. Fromulated for motorcycles and aircraft; also works great for car, truck, RV and boat winshields.
Sponsored