Car wash fear...

Malachi

First Name
Malachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Harley FXDB, 2021 JL Willys Manual
Touchless all the way. Maybe their soaps are harsh, I never heard that but it makes perfect sense. If you're anal about the looks you need to wax it anyway which is gonna compensate
Sponsored

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
No hand wash for me. My water is incredibly hard. It will dry etched spots before I can can get to them. I tried rinsing with a bucket of softened water from the house once and there was salt stains left behind. I might have to get one of those home car wash filter set ups so I can wash at home.
haha, here in AZ I gotta constantly keep the jeep wet to avoid those spots while I'm washing it...then one last spray over then the mad dash to squeegee and chamois cloth it dry.

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
i hand wash with a foam cannon.
when I finish, I use a portable Cheap power washer with the hose in a gallon of distilled water, I can rinse my Jeep with about 3 gallons of distilled water and don't even need to wipe it dry. No spots nowhere. Use the distilled water trick. You will be amazed.
no drying, even in direct Sun.
Really? Haven't heard that but sounds intriguing

Maverik36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
Just put on your big boy underwear and hand wash it yourself.

Did it ever occur to anyone suggesting "quit being lazy or put on your big boy pants?", that not everyone has that ability for a multitude of reasons. For instance, I live in a downtown apartment.

Answer the OP question and spare the details of how great your cleaning job is from your backyard or driveway! 😎

Sponsored

JL ME

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys ,2006 Roadking , 2008 Hayabusa
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance
Just wash it yourself. Make sure to do it in the shade! Especially when washing a black vehicle.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Mojave desert right next door. Windy days most of the time. Our desert is not like the Sarah sandy desert, is is all dirt and rocks. I drive 40 miles on the interstate each way when I go to work. Lots of windy days blowing dirt that I have to drive thru. No way am I going to cry about swirls or micro scratches from a car wash.

This was a pic a couple years ago on trail. I would be more concerned about air filters than paint scratches caused by washing.

8940ED85-360E-43CF-A5C4-018C71D71DEC.jpeg
I know. Yesterday was extremely windy and air quality was bad in the evening.
I was driving on 95N under the Centennial Bowl. There are mounds of sand for construction under the 95-215 ramp, and it looked like a sand storm as the 26 mph wind was spraying the sand on the freeway.
I usually change the air filter with every oil change and don't follow the owner's manual interval which is way too long for windy Vegas desert.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Did it ever occur to anyone suggesting "quit being lazy or put on your big boy pants?", that not everyone has that ability for a multitude of reasons. For instance, I live in a downtown apartment.

Answer the OP question and spare the details of how great your cleaning job is from your backyard or driveway! 😎
There are always self-service coin-op car washes. Go on a slow day. Use their soap and rinse (but not their brush). When you’re done, and while the rig is still wet, spray with a quality quick sealant and then towel dry using a quality towel. Additional spray protectant and chamois optional. Big boy underwear required. Thank you for attending my TED talk.

Maverik36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
There are always self-service coin-op car washes. Go on a slow day. Use their soap and rinse (but not their brush). When you’re done, and while the rig is still wet, spray with a quality quick sealant and then towel dry using a quality towel. Additional spray protectant and chamois optional. Big boy underwear required. Thank you for attending my TED talk.

Perhaps not always, but at least that's closer to answering the posted question.

You guys talk about underwear a little too much

First Name
Nica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Stealth Edition) 3.6L, 6 speed
For me, a Jeep isn't a show car, so I use automatic car washes for the convenience and don't think twice about it. 🤷‍♂️
Totally! I take mine (SOT and all) to a place with automatic wash followed by vacuum and hand dry by staff. It’s a 2019 and still no problems, but I trail ride, so would blame any scratches on that anyway. I do rinse off heavy mud at home and blow out interior dust with a leaf blower as a courtesy before hitting the car wash, but that’s the extent of my home wash effort.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Handwashing just isn't practical from late November through at least February around here. My plan for the soft top is to use the "touchless" car washes when necessary that only shoot water and soap; no brushes or rollers involved. We'll see how it does with that kind of pressure and the dryer at the end.

thegeedawg

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Handwashing just isn't practical from late November through at least February around here. My plan for the soft top is to use the "touchless" car washes when necessary that only shoot water and soap; no brushes or rollers involved. We'll see how it does with that kind of pressure and the dryer at the end.
I know this is an old thread, but ny update?
How is the SOT in touches car wash?

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I know this is an old thread, but ny update?
How is the SOT in touches car wash?
I don't have the SOT, just a standard soft top. The first few times I had some water dripping in at the tops of the doors. I discovered that sometimes the soft top lifts up a little bit from its track at those spots, from the wind presumably. So, as long as I remember to seat them back down where they belong before the wash, everyone else works fine.

Richardrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys Sport
I also discovered that the high pressure touchless car washes exposed a minor leak under the driver door and corner of tailgate. 🤦‍♂️ maybe these vehicles are meant to leak?
Sponsored