Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
lucky enough to be able to go to Hawaii at least once a year for the last 20 years(sucked into a time share on honeymoon) except for last year due to the covid shit show, and have trip planned for Maui July 13-23 and just about spit up my coffee when I went to check on the rental car prices:puke:

We used to be able to get Jeeps for like $50 a day thru Costco, now they are about $140 a day if you can find one....even the small cars are over $100 a day now.....looks like the rental car companies are trying to make up for the lost year by gouging the customers this year....Hawaii is expensive enough, now it is ridiculous

just a heads up to anybody going to Hawaii any time soon, book you car now cuz prices are going up daily

Big Island 2019(a Jeep is a must on the Big Island)
Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh IMG_6973.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
lucky enough to be able to go to Hawaii at least once a year for the last 20 years(time share in Maui and my mom recently bought a condo on the Big Island) except for last year due to the covid shit show, and have trip planned for July 13-23 and just about spit up my coffee when I went to check on the rental car prices:puke:

We used to be able to get Jeeps for like $50 a day thru Costco, now they are about $140 a day if you can find one....even the small cars are over $100 a day now.....looks like the rental car companies are trying to make up for the lost year by gouging the customers this year....Hawaii is expensive enough, now it is ridiculous

just a heads up to anybody going to Hawaii any time soon, book you car now cuz prices are going up daily
This sounds like a Kardashian rant . . . LOL :CWL:

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This sounds like a Kardashian rant . . . LOL :CWL:
I know, haha..I should have put a disclaimer

"Warning- first world problems"

but it does suck cuz I don't have kardashian money....and when car rentals cost more than airfare for four there is something wrong with this whole thing and it is price gouging for sure.

luckily, I did some digging around and found an offsite car rental place that rents older cars like 2010 on up and got a 2013 Altima for like $40 a day.....No jeep this year, I'm too cheap lol

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle(s)Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32 , Ford Explorer, Lexus

Oh, we see you Kim, we see you... :LOL: :LOL:

haha...yeah, I'm addicted to cars and broke because of it .....

but , now that I sold the Explorer for the JLUR , my fleet is complete!!

no more new cars for at least 5 years...I swear :like:

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
haha...yeah, I'm addicted to cars and broke because of it .....

but , now that I sold the Explorer for the JLUR , my fleet is complete!!

no more new cars for at least 5 years...I swear :like:
Oh, you haven't heard yet..The stages of addiction

Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh 23Seconds
Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh download

Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh images (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh images (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh images
Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh images (3)

Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh im-sorry-i-went-full-retard

And rock bottom,

Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh i-sell-myself

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, you haven't heard yet..The stages of addiction

Jeep Wrangler JL Car rental prices have tripled in Hawaii....ughhh i-sell-myself

And rock bottom,

lmao

trust me, I know...I'm already shopping for shit for a car I don't even have yet...lol

wife wants to kill me, trust me. :swear:

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I know, haha..I should have put a disclaimer

"Warning- first world problems"

but it does suck cuz I don't have kardashian money....and when car rentals cost more than airfare for four there is something wrong with this whole thing and it is price gouging for sure.

luckily, I did some digging around and found an offsite car rental place that rents older cars like 2010 on up and got a 2013 Altima for like $40 a day.....No jeep this year, I'm too cheap lol
What was the website? I'm looking to go but car rental prices are out of control!

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Supposedly, the rise in rental car prices is because of the (now) smaller number of cars available on island/within the state.

During most of the pandemic, the rental car 'fleet' on Oahu was parked bumper-to-bumper in the Aloha Stadium parking lot(s), and sat idle for 6-8 months. Then they were moved off island, ostensibly back to the mainland.

Now, of course, the various rental companies are taking their time moving the rental cars back, citing "unsure demand", etc., while taking advantage of the situation to basically stick it to any tourists/visitors to the islands.

("Unsure demand', being, of course, about 20K people arriving in one day on Oahu... and that was back in July-August timeframe, when everything started opening back up. *shaking head*)

When family relatives visited me in August, they were stuck with paying almost $300 per day for a rental. It's a ridiculous situation.

Cheers,
-CM-

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was the website? I'm looking to go but car rental prices are out of control!
It has gotten a lot better but still way higher than it ever used to be…
If you have Costco, Costco travel is the best site usually and you can keep checking and cancel free when prices go down… they usually drop to best price about three days before arriving
Or try Turo

Last edited:

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
It has gotten a lot better but still way higher than it ever used to be…
If you have Costco, Costco travel is the best site usually and you can keep checking and cancel fee when prices go down… they usually drop to best price about three days before arriving
Or try Turo
Thank you so much!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I managed to figure out the bus system when I visited my daughter on Oahu last September. $2.75 per trip was a whole lot less than a rental car for a week. Google Maps app helped a lot.