Car(makers) trends you hate the most

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
Replacing quality interior design/knobs/materials with massive cheap touchscreens and eliminating every physical control.
This is a safety issue to me. With a touchscreen you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything because it all feels the same. If you have physical knobs you can figure it out by feel, which knob or button you're touching and you can keep your eyes where they belong, on the road, the entire time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
This is a safety issue to me. With a touchscreen you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything because it all feels the same. If you have physical knobs you can figure it out by feel, which knob or button you're touching and you can keep your eyes where they belong, on the road, the entire time.
Has the same issue with my CX-30. It was a rotary knob near the shifter plus shortcut buttons. Never got a hang of it because they aren't placed intuitively. So I always had to take my eyes off the road to handle the media console. For a good 5 to 10 seconds. I hated this car.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Scanning through this thread reinforces to me how many things Jeep does right.. At least on the Wrangler.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Scanning through this thread reinforces to me how many things Jeep does right.. At least on the Wrangler.
They do indeed. At least for the precise demographic on this forum. Let's be real: some folks really enjoy when the drive drives itself or when it beeps at them 57 times during a ride.

But automakers, they know people. And they know they can easily scratch a good driving feel to offer a good audio system or nannies on the car.

I recently drove a Nissan Kicks. My collegue bought one. I couldn't believe how this car is nothing but..."meh". Everything is "meh" on the driving experience. But hey, they put au audio system and a center stack that'll be obsolete in 4 months. So what will me collegue do? Think of buying another.

It's one way of making things if you're a carmaker. I'm not getting into it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The trend to more and more tech. The screens are becoming laughably large and are a huge distraction.

CANbus systems that control virtually everything that uses battery power. Relays are simple and far more reliable in my opinion.

Having to pay a high option price for features that are already included and written in the code of your BCM, they just need the code modified by a digit to enable.

I find it funny the crossovers are morphing back into cars. A 4 door hatchback or wagon is not an SUV.
Sponsored