Sponsored

Car(makers) trends you hate the most

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

CAP77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Touch screens that look like you glued an iPad to the dash.

Jeep Wrangler JL Car(makers) trends you hate the most 1626180742684
This is the main reason we decided to look at Ram trucks instead of an F-150 when we replaced my wife's Explorer. The cheap looking interior and the afterthought large screen were such a turn off we didn't even go look at one.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Can't stand the stupid huge grill trend for most every make, the new BMW M is ridiculous along w/ most every Lexus in the last 5 years, even my beloved Infiniti went stupid w/ their Q models, JUST STOP IT! But don't go to the point of no grill like the Tesla
Jeep Wrangler JL Car(makers) trends you hate the most 1626180742684

Better go see a doctor, those kidneys look inflamed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Car(makers) trends you hate the most 1626184189259

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
This is the main reason we decided to look at Ram trucks instead of an F-150 when we replaced my wife's Explorer. The cheap looking interior and the afterthought large screen were such a turn off we didn't even go look at one.
Odd you should say that. I was just at my selling dealer this morning, having a look at fresh lot inventory. There was no shortage of RAMs that had ipad-sized vertical touchscreens filling the center portion of the dash. Even in an interior as roomy as the cab of a light truck, the large screens looked a bit comical.

Depending on the trim level that the consumer wants, it may not be possible to opt out of the oversize touchscreen feature, irrespective of vehicle brand.

CAP77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Odd you should say that. I was just at my selling dealer this morning, having a look at fresh lot inventory. There was no shortage of RAMs that had ipad-sized vertical touchscreens filling the center portion of the dash. Even in an interior as roomy as the cab of a light truck, the large screens looked a bit comical.

Depending on the trim level that the consumer wants, it may not be possible to opt out of the oversize touchscreen feature, irrespective of vehicle brand.
Oh, our Ram, in Laramie trim, has the 12" screen. The difference we saw was it looks better integrated on the Ram version, and stuck on as a "we need it bigger!" option on the Ford.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
OH!, i'm adding another trend that I can't stand: crossovers.
Yup...perhaps the absolute king of stupid automotive trends. Why are we obsessed with a vehicle that combines the worst attributes of a car with the worst attributes of a truck? Crossovers are quite literally the worst of both worlds. You get a car's cargo and towing capacity with a truck's performance and efficiency.

But I also agree with a lot of the ones mentioned so far - feature "packages" that would be great if they weren't assembled to only benefit the automaker, 10 different shades of grey/black/white but no red or blue, and extremely complicated "hybrid" or "efficiency" tech that saddles a motor with 100% more moving parts and saves 0.2mpg...many of the motors that were saddled with this stuff 10 years ago are now imploding at 100-150k miles.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Yup...perhaps the absolute king of stupid automotive trends. Why are we obsessed with a vehicle that combines the worst attributes of a car with the worst attributes of a truck? Crossovers are quite literally the worst of both worlds. You get a car's cargo and towing capacity with a truck's performance and efficiency.

But I also agree with a lot of the ones mentioned so far - feature "packages" that would be great if they weren't assembled to only benefit the automaker, 10 different shades of grey/black/white but no red or blue, and extremely complicated "hybrid" or "efficiency" tech that saddles a motor with 100% more moving parts and saves 0.2mpg...many of the motors that were saddled with this stuff 10 years ago are now imploding at 100-150k miles.
Then again: stuff fits easier in my wife's Mazda 3 than in it was fitting in my CX-30.

Dad Rad

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
For me, it's the over use of computers, modules and sensors for every..damn..thing in vehicles.

I don't need a computer to raise and lower my windows when a relay works just as well.

I shouldn't have to ask my car what kind of battery I can put in it.
100% this. In my wife's Audi, I have to program the wipers to stay up so I can change them. Turning the vehicle off just makes them return home. I literally have to go into the car's graphical interface, get in the vehicle settings, and find the right one to access the wipers to place them in the "up" position to change them, then disable the function once I'm done.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
1. First or Launch Editions. The Gladiator Launch Edition had nothing that made is special. The Bronco Launch Edition is just some exterior and interior color combination. Even the upcoming Ford Maverick has a First edition which is nothing but some color and stickers.

2. Floating roofs. Where the OEM puts a strip of black on the C-pillar to supposedly make the roof look like it's floating. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this started with the 3rd gen Nissan Murano.

3. Mini-Vans. Never mind that it's horrific that they exist, but they aren't even Mini. A Chrysler Pacifica is as big as the old Ford Econoline. The Mazda 5 was the last real mini-van.

4. faux fender vents. I'm looking at you Buick. At least the Wrangler has functional vents. I'm cool with that. In fact, Faux anything is garbage to me. I dislike the hood vents on the Rubicon and Mohave.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
3. Mini-Vans. Never mind that it's horrific that they exist, but they aren't even Mini. A Chrysler Pacifica is as big as the old Ford Econoline. The Mazda 5 was the last real mini-van.
Agreed. I've had to explain, more than twice, why I don't use the adjective "mini-" in front of the word van. They're so bloated now that their interior space is equal to or greater than the regular, non-extended wheelbase vans that preceded them.

Recalling Iacocca's boastful claim from back in the day -- "We invented the minivan" -- I also enjoy tweaking Dodge van owners by reminding them that the VW Type 2 pipped the original Grand Caravan to the post by a factor of decades.

Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
All this hi-tech and touch screen stuff is still being tested by us consumers. The touch screen can also interfer with the back up knob controls also. My 8.4" Uconnect4 head unit locked up many times where none of the controls worked through the touch screen and knobs. That was in normal temps.
Plus, when they start to delaminate (like the one in our 2016 Durango) it activates “touches” all over the screen. Our whole system is unusable now thanks to that defect.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mandatory infotainment and nanny systems that I don't need/want...and used by auto manufacturers to drain our bank accounts. At least make these systems options for those of us who don't care about them!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Mandatory infotainment and nanny systems that I don't need/want...and used by auto manufacturers to drain our bank accounts. At least make these systems options for those of us who don't care about them!
A lot of these infotainment systems also collect a lot of marketing data on us. I read Uconnect5 has back box capabilities or something?

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
And while I’m at it, when did “slower traffic keep right” become a suggestion??? If you’re not passing the car on your right, get the F out of the way! 🤬
Or you could be responsible and help avoid accidents by...DRIVING WITHIN THE SPEED LIMIT!!!

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
Another reason I cancelled my Bronco reservation beyond availability was the fact that heated seats were buried in giant nanny package. With the JL, it's available singly.
I can't agree with you strongly enough. That and I don't have to order the "lux package" for $5k just to get a heated steering wheel. I can just order the cold weather package and get the heated seats and heated steering wheel without the other crap I don't want. I live where it hits -40's in the winter. I want a manual and I'm ok with running outside to start my vehicle 5-10 minutes before I'm going to leave to warm it up a little but I want heated seats and a heated steering wheel without all the other nanny "safety" junk. I could probably go on way too long about how much I dislike how Ford did that, lol.
Sponsored