Sponsored

Car(makers) trends you hate the most

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Cars that have no rear/ side visibility, and will have to depend on cameras and built- in monitors. Great until blinded by salt/ dirt that builds up while driving, or people are too lazy to clean off.
Exterior lighting - especially turn signals, that are colored bulbs in a clear plastic. Bright Sun renders these invisible due to the Fresnel effect of the clear planes of the lenses .
These are really dangerous when styling is allowed to override function
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
That I can answer, thanks to my brother-in-law who's painting cars for Cadillac in United States.

Developing a color, for a car, is such a headache. It's your color, that you have to develop. Little did I know, they're mixing in batches, which means they have to make it every now and then for a production run (about every 3 weeks is what he says).

If your mix ain't right by a tiny marging, you have to waste it. It's very complicated and it's a science.

So the more you have options, the more you have to prep paint. The more you risk a mistake, the more you spend. So carmakers are offering colors people usually pick for that kind of car, that demographic, that part of the world, etc.

They have meetings, like...three times a week to show stats about what color is popular, what color costs too much to make, what color doesn't cut it, etc. It really is very complicated and there's about 67 charts for every color.
Nonsense. There are a million colors that were developed over the last 50 years...they could just keep recycling them. That's what many do, like VW. Tornado Red comes to mind. I was on a mission to paint my car a certain shade of green, they probably made 100's of them. Plenty of good options to choose from, they don't have to spend money to reinvent the wheel. And with robots doing the bulk of the work now, it costs next to nothing to paint them.
Instead, most give us shades of gray, white, and black with a side of red. It's boring.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Nonsense. There are a million colors that were developed over the last 50 years...they could just keep recycling them. That's what many do, like VW. Tornado Red comes to mind. I was on a mission to paint my car a certain shade of green, they probably made 100's of them. Plenty of good options to choose from, they don't have to spend money to reinvent the wheel. And with robots doing the bulk of the work now, it costs next to nothing to paint them.
Instead, most give us shades of gray, white, and black with a side of red. It's boring.
K dude.

Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
The artificial limits they put on interior/seat options. We have a 2016 Durango in red with factory red leather seats. My wife LOVES the red/red combo, but they refuse to offer it at the factory.
Even on the Hellcat Durango. You mean to tell me I'm giving you over six-figures for a vehicle order and I can't have the seat colors I want?

That and the suede seats they put into Challengers. Like, really?! I live in in humid, hot, sticky, Florida. You really think I want suede seats?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Excessive/large touchscreens - Knobs, buttons, and switches are so far superior, especially if (like me) you like your vehicles to last more than 5-6 years.

SiriusXM bundling - IMO this is the biggest racket ever. You can't decline it - as soon as you buy a vehicle, BOOM - they've got your information, including physical address, email, and phone number - everything they need to harass you into oblivion for a product you may not even want

Rubicon Red - It's not actually a thing, because the 4xe Rubicon comes with blue instead, which means it's just an obnoxious fake requirement. It's a large part of why I got a Sahara instead of a Rubicon. I can buy a Rubicon with grey interior accents, but only if I get tan leather seats. Why? Why can't I get a black leather interior AND grey accents? No good reason.

12V power sockets - why? Why do I need to have a specific plug that's ONLY used in my vehicle? Thankfully most newer vehicles just went straight to USB (and by some miracle, USB-C), but still.

In-car navigation - WTF uses this still? Why is it even there to cause potential complication to the overally in-car OS? Just kill it already.

Cars that don't have an obvious/comfortable place to rest your left arm - my wife's Lexus RX 350 is nice, luxurious, comfortable, and I *despise* driving it because there's no place to put my left arm. The window sill is way too high, but the armrest thing in the door is way too low. So obnoxious.

The tap-once-turn-signals - it's weird and unnecessary. I can't imagine that people driving with their turn signals on was so much of a problem that it necessitated redesigning the whole damn thing.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
OH!, i'm adding another trend that I can't stand: crossovers.

*Takes a deep breath*

Who...in his right frame on mind...would even spend a dime on crossovers. Hey, i'm guilty: fell into that trap once with a Mazda CX-30. And I can't believe my dealer bought it back for that price (high demand, don't ask me why).

They're not fun to drive, they don't have cargo space, they don't have a proper ground clearance, they don't have anything for them. Nothing! They're just glorified hatchbacks!

Give me a hatchback, then! Why are people willing to pay more for a beefed up Hyundai Accent is beyond my comprehension.

Hey, I made a "can it fit?" contest with my wife. My CX-30 vs her Mazda 3. I kid you not, it was easier to fit stuff in her car than mine. Hers would take a 2X4X8 in the car. Not mine.

THEY SUCK!

Thanks for reading, like comment and subscribe.
Or for that matter SUV's for the love of all things holy. I mean MOST SUV's are nothing more that a freaking station wagon. You can order the Grand Cherokee L in 4x2, uh, that is NOT a SUV it's a STATION WAGON you ignorant twit. If you want a SUV it damn well be 4x4 not 4x2 and SURE THE HELL NOT FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Excessive/large touchscreens - Knobs, buttons, and switches are so far superior, especially if (like me) you like your vehicles to last more than 5-6 years.

SiriusXM bundling - IMO this is the biggest racket ever. You can't decline it - as soon as you buy a vehicle, BOOM - they've got your information, including physical address, email, and phone number - everything they need to harass you into oblivion for a product you may not even want

Rubicon Red - It's not actually a thing, because the 4xe Rubicon comes with blue instead, which means it's just an obnoxious fake requirement. It's a large part of why I got a Sahara instead of a Rubicon. I can buy a Rubicon with grey interior accents, but only if I get tan leather seats. Why? Why can't I get a black leather interior AND grey accents? No good reason.

12V power sockets - why? Why do I need to have a specific plug that's ONLY used in my vehicle? Thankfully most newer vehicles just went straight to USB (and by some miracle, USB-C), but still.

In-car navigation - WTF uses this still? Why is it even there to cause potential complication to the overally in-car OS? Just kill it already.

Cars that don't have an obvious/comfortable place to rest your left arm - my wife's Lexus RX 350 is nice, luxurious, comfortable, and I *despise* driving it because there's no place to put my left arm. The window sill is way too high, but the armrest thing in the door is way too low. So obnoxious.

The tap-once-turn-signals - it's weird and unnecessary. I can't imagine that people driving with their turn signals on was so much of a problem that it necessitated redesigning the whole damn thing.
I like the one touch signals. Better then following some jackass for 5 miles with a signal on

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have to say...... WHY does a car manufacturer redesign components in a vehicle that are proven and time tested? Then replace them with POS plastic parts that are destined to brake and leave you stranded ie...seat return, upper seat latch, Sun Visor, ....fill in the rest! FCA/Stellantis are you listening?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Or for that matter SUV's for the love of all things holy. I mean MOST SUV's are nothing more that a freaking station wagon. You can order the Grand Cherokee L in 4x2, uh, that is NOT a SUV it's a STATION WAGON you ignorant twit. If you want a SUV it damn well be 4x4 not 4x2 and SURE THE HELL NOT FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!
Calm down slick…it’s not that serious.

Last edited:

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have to say...... WHY does a car manufacturer redesign components in a vehicle that are proven and time tested? Then replace them with POS plastic parts that are destined to brake and leave you stranded ie...seat return, upper seat latch, Sun Visor, ....fill in the rest! FCA/Stellantis are you listening?
So you will buy a replacement when it breaks out of warranty.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Try matching white. You realize how many "white's" there are? Color isn't just a crayon in a box when it comes to auto's. I'll give you Fords Magnetic Grey, which was a remix of Sterling Grey, there are a plethora of greys now and to the untrained eye look the same, but aren't, just like white. The real problem with auto's now is simply this: I work at a third tier supplier, who paints parts, that have to match parts that are painted by another manufacture, and then match the paint the auto maker put on the rest of the vehicle. It is not like in Henry Fords day where the car was all built and painted at his factory.
Sponsored