Car & Driver tests 2.0L Sahara and hate the steering issue

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Probably poorly worded on my part.........

What I meant was, I've built a ton of different vehicles...from tube frames from the ground up, to converting IFS rigs to SFA (as well as building axles for vehicles that came from the factory with SFA)...but always cut and turn the knuckle to get the caster I want in relation to the pinion angle before building the adjustable links.
Exactly, as in you are machining the parts. Watch that video how he installs that cam bolt and you'll see what that process involves. the average sahara owner won't notice or mind but i bet you would.
Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Tires make a HUGE difference on these things. The cheapies on the Sport/Sahara have tarnished the JL. Once I upgraded tires it was a ton better.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
No, I saw that....looked bad. The problem I see is the slop. I usually use 3/8" 4130 plate for the link mounts and tack 1 size smaller hardened grade 8 SAE thick washers (makes the overall thickness of each tab about 1/2") that I machine to the exact bolt size since wallowing the bracket is a real issue. I'll use 1/4" material on the top typically since it's not going to be hitting the rocks.

Regardless, I get what you're saying now...just wasn't familiar with the "jerked off" comment, so I was asking for clarification.
Ohh haha thats old school Brooklyn lingo for not good or sub par. hahaha

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Tires make a HUGE difference on these things. The cheapies on the Sport/Sahara have tarnished the JL. Once I upgraded tires it was a ton better.
90% of the people on this forum never had a jeep before so those tires do just fine for them .

Sponsored

steelrain82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I've never owned a Wrangler before, but that doesn't mean I don't notice the slight sway while driving. I have the upgraded Sahara tires and it feels better than the standard road tires they offered that is why we did the basic upgrade. but for a vehicle even at low speed to have a slight drift is not right. Hell even with power steering I still have to physically turn the wheel most of the time. Something is loose under the vehicle and needs to be tightened up. Again, I've never been a Wrangler owner or any 4x4 for that matter. However having driven numerous military vehicles, other peoples off roading vehicles non have had such loose steering unless its due to countless hours of abuse and use.

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Also keep in mind that every JL is different. Some do not need any changes to the hardware at all. There are many cases of simply needing the vehicle calibrations updated in the computer.
You mean at the dealer? I can imagine asking the dealer that, they would roll their eyes. Dealerships tend to either play dumb or are dumb.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Yes and no, IMO. The stock BFG HTs on my Sport were adequate for the pavement. The steering was a bit twitchy until I corrected the over-inflated tires to 36 psi. I've since swapped them for Cooper all-terrain rubber to better handle the winter weather around here.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
All, I just made a trip to suncadia from Redmond. From 20ft ngvd88 to 2100 (peak at 3001 ft). I averaged 16.7mpg up hill from Redmond to the lodge. JLR hard top, windows up, clImate on auto. Coming back going from 70-90mph avg 69, mpg was 18.4mpg from lodge to Redmond. The steering was fine and tire pressure cold is 38~39psi. Steering is not a problem. Power not a problem.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Variety os steering issues
Tire presure ...mine was delivered at 50psi. Horrid handling. Sweet spot on my sport is 30psi

Track bar weld

Pittman arm gap. Should be 8mm

Steering box setting

Steering assis settings

Lack of caster adjuster bolts. This floors me. More caster seems to perform better. Thus why each model is different since they are set different. Sport seems the best followed by sahara then rubi.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
My steering seems to fall in-between the great steering some have and the paddy wagon feel others have. I notice I have to tug my steering to the left basically all of the time which to me is more an alignment issue. But I'm not tugging it far and it feels fairly stiff.

I just don't want to wake up every day and worry about the issues a Wrangler might have. If it's not the steering, then people would likely complain about something else as they are compromised vehicles. I mean, honestly, if you're having to fight FCA every day and keep taking your Jeep to the dealer, then maybe a Wrangler just isn't for you.

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I had a bit of play in the steering on delivery, but it seemed to get more stable after about 1K miles. I am reading that they used the wrong CASTER. When the dealer says "all is tight" underneath, well yes... it's tight because the CASTER adjust bolt is wrong and it is inserted in a narrow hole (this may need to be reemed out a bit). Each Jeep Wrangler model has a different CASTER spec... one for Rubicon, Sahara and Sport (see below). Also some have played with the adjustment nut on the gearbox and go some relief. I didn't need to go thru all of these remedies, mine improved with time and air pressure in the tires (Sahara trim 36 psi best for me).

Screenshot 2018-09-25 at 11.17.45 AM.png

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
He had to get a JK adjuster bolt.