WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Completely random side note:

In those alignment specs, it shows the Rubicon and the 3.0L equipped models with the same caster spec. Could this mean that the future CRD models will have the same suspension ride height as the Rubicon? Hmm...
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Should be 8mm based on what exactly? If a YT video is your reference point, you can't really make that case. If you have another source for an "8mm gap" requirement, then please post it.
Just going off the video. Personally 8mm still looked a bit big to me. Pittman arms should not come off that easily.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there's some confusion.....there is no caster adjusting bolt on the factory package. Jeep Informant installed one to give the vehicle in the video more caster. In order to do so, he had to also wallow out the link bracket. I'm not sure that is the course of action I'd personally take to achieve additional positive caster for reasons stated earlier in the thread.
If my 2019 show up with steering issues i will be having them add a jk caster adjuster bolt before i accept the vehicle.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Hi All

The original batch of JLs did not have the steering issues this article and others are describing. There was universal praise, including from Car and Driver, about the tight, refined steering. This is true across multiple models C&D reviewed.

In Feb-April, reports started surfacing about steering lockup issues where the steering would literally lock up at speed. Many have speculated that this was due to the new Aluminum gearbox expanding as it heated up, resulting in the gears locking up.

Some time around May, Jeeps started showing up with loose steering. Trial and error has shown that the gearboxes are now set much looser than before (since adjusting the gearbox screw fixes the issue). I believe this was done to mitigate the expanding gearboxes from locking up as the gears move closer together, when at operating temps.

Since all 2.0s were built after this, C&D is now testing a jeep with the steering issue, whereas before their Jeep review units had the tighter steering settings.

So in other words, this isn't a Jeep thing. C&D themselves have praised the steering on the JL in the past. This is the result of a corporate band aid, and it must not be tolerated. This is a half assed "fix" by FCA to avoid legal ramifications. We must all demand a proper steering box, preferably made out of cast iron like the JK.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may want to reconsider that. From the earlier posts in the thread, it seems like a band-aid and one that potentially could have other issues if you plan to 4wheel it. I would be hesitant to do that to my own rig...and would likely either opt to weld in the adjustment shim once I had an acceptable caster angle and compliant steering (more of a permanent band aid) or...adjustable length arms as hansolo recommended. The real correction for the caster problem (without going to adjustable links) is unfortunately a cut/turn of the knuckle....so obviously, the adjustable links make more sense provided you can get the caster to where you need it and still have a workable front pinion angle.
Missed that. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored

DanPop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Unlimited Sport S
Happy to report, just got home from my second trip to the dealer and the tbs reflash fixed everything. Drives/steers like a dream. First trip to dealer I got laughed at and asked if I've ever driven a Wrangler before. I was also told they would not do the flash. So my next call was FCA, they called my dealer and thing I knew, my dealer was calling me "they would be more than happy to flash my Jeep.

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
Think about it, you are cutting a 1 inch notch into an already flimsy control arm mount and cam'ing caster into it with a special bolt. You can never go back to the original set up unless you cut off the bracket and re weld a new on OR weld in a washer into the bracket. or some other ninja nonsense like that. Lower control arm/ caster effects a lot of your road manners , how yr jeep handles a speed so switching to a more robust adjustable control arm is much more strong and reliable and easier to adjust caster . Plis if you are going to lift it with a solid kit you're probably going to add them anyway. When it comes to caster and lifting the vehicle , theres a sweet spot where the steering holds center real nice and if too much it feeling to twitchy. plus adding bigger tires you'd probably want to throw about 6 degrees of caster to offset the heavier unsprung weight and rolling mass. of course then you'd probably need upper control arms to get at that pinion angle ... we going down the rabbit hole here.
I saw that video and have recently read about a Wrangler software update thats supposed to fix the problem. Now I'm wondering how wonked the steering of that customers jeep will become when they get the update.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Does this sound familiar to you? Nice to see an automotive publication put it in writing. FCA has a problem and knows it. This is not just a bunch of crazy consumers complaining. Wonder when someone will be seriously injured or killed because of this problem. File complaints with the NTSB. Sooner or later the lawyers and courts will sort it out.
Other reviews have identified this as well:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-reverse-camera-also-mentions-steering.15609/

People here will always try to cover up for their prodigal son that is FCA. By even being critical of FCA you're just going to make a lot of enemies around here. The fools (owners who are bent over) don't realise that they're actually ruining the Wrangler name by keeping quiet and not letting FCA address issues... issues that very well show up in their highly volatile and temporary paradise.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've kind of gotten used to it. But I do still notice it, lowered tire PSI helped some, but there is still some play and a tendency for it to drift randomly. It's actually very difficult to just drive a straight line for any significant distance without drifting left/right in my lane.

I let my wife drive the other day and it freaked her out, now she is more used to her Challenger, but just the drifting and constant need for correction really did not sit well with her.

It'd be nice to get it corrected without having to jump through hoops with the dealerships.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
I just moved from Subaru Crosstrek (drove over 32K mile in 8 months) back to Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and I do not have any difficulties driving it at all. It was not bad before steering box change, but now it just as good as other cars I have. I drive about 1000 miles a week on average, so I know what I am talking about. My only gripe - the ride gets tail happy when raining due to oversteer when accelerating and I blame it on AT stock tires, apparently those suck on wet black top. Tire pressure at 37 psi.
Sponsored