Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
But it's still a parasitic loss on the powertrain at that point.

If I have a battery that is run down, how do I recharge it at a constant highway speed? From the engine, obviously. And if that's the case, then some of the engine's energy that could be put into propelling the vehicle is instead being put into charging the battery, thus making the engine less efficient than it would otherwise be.

Plus, the vehicle is hauling around an extra 800 lbs of weight.

As you note, hybrids make sense in urban and mixed driving. They make little sense -- from an efficiency standpoint -- for highway trips.
Partial parasitic loss. Its going to charge only to the point it needs for hybrid operation. The only time it will charge beyond that is if it is placed in E-Save plus charge, where it will indeed drag on the engine to charge the battery resulting in reduced MPG at that instance. Plus it won't even do autostops if its in that mode. I don't see any practical use for this unless you want maximum electric only for off road driving, and are charging it on the way to the trailhead.

But I think you and I can both agree that its not the best choice for regular long road trips.
Sponsored

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Folks complain about the 4xE weight “penalty” but the Wrangler 392 is about the same weight but no one complains about that. The 4xE has the same torque as the 392, better gas mileage (even on long trips), and is better balanced with all the added weight low and in back.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I didn't see where they really trashed it. If you want a Wrangler and the hybrid drivetrain suits your urban use, why not? It is sometimes faster, sometimes more efficient when used in the proper setting. I think all Wranglers are "clunky" part of the appeal for most. It isn't a great car, it isn't a great truck, it isn't even a great suv but it does things other vehicles simply can't, and does it with it's own unique style. I don't think it should be any surprise that the first generation is a bit compromised and lacks a high level of polish. I will agree that clearly, the author missed the appeal of the "Jeep" part of the equation but beyond that it read like a fair assessment.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Folks complain about the 4xE weight “penalty” but the Wrangler 392 is about the same weight but no one complains about that. The 4xE has the same torque as the 392, better gas mileage (even on long trips), and is better balanced with all the added weight low and in back.
Also a similar weight to a Ford Bronco Sasquatch.

So, heavier than a regular equivalent Wrangler but not so heavy its can't function as one.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It is all in the delivery, though. 392 delivers its power in a predictable, strong, linear progression, with no hesitations, no ifs or buts. Time after time. And it sounds glorious doing it.

Based on my short test drive, for 4Xe to deliver its max power, you have to be in the right “mode”, and you have to know how to press the throttle. Otherwise you get nothing but failed attempts. To top it all, the resulting sound is that of cats mating outside your window.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To top it all, the resulting sounds is that of a mating cat outside your window.
There has to be a better exhaust out there for the 2.0. lol!

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Also a similar weight to a Ford Bronco Sasquatch.

So, heavier than a regular equivalent Wrangler but not so heavy its can't function as one.

I may be in the minority here, but weight is certainly a reason I wouldn't get a 392 or bronco either (though I initially thought I would buy a 2 door bronco for my next vehicle).

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
If I could afford a 392 I’d have one, for the exhaust note alone.

But I can’t. What I can afford is the cheap lease rates on a Rubicon 4xe. Coupled with the fact that I’ll be pure electric almost all the time, and it will be a silent hunting partner, it is the best option for me.

Frankly I’m sad you can’t get a Jeep like my 2018 now, an 8AT 3.6L without the mild hybrid stuff. Your forced into either the 2.0T or the 3.6L with the mild hybrid for $1500.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
But it's still a parasitic loss on the powertrain at that point.

If I have a battery that is run down, how do I recharge it at a constant highway speed? From the engine, obviously. And if that's the case, then some of the engine's energy that could be put into propelling the vehicle is instead being put into charging the battery, thus making the engine less efficient than it would otherwise be.
Plus, the vehicle is hauling around an extra 800 lbs of weight.

As you note, hybrids make sense in urban and mixed driving. They make little sense -- from an efficiency standpoint -- for highway trips.
Also, on extended highway cruising, the electric motors won't be providing much help, unless accelerating to pass and/or hitting a steep incline. Even a Prius suffers in the same situation.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I may be in the minority here, but weight is certainly a reason I wouldn't get a 392 or bronco either (though I initially thought I would buy a 2 door bronco for my next vehicle).
Its a factor to consider no doubt. Still I see people on the trail with big heavy tires, roof racks, rooftop tents, winches, and that metal frame that goes around the hard top for mounting all of that on. That surely adds a LOT of weight, but I haven't seen anyone fail off road because of that weight either.

That being said I also don't think the 4Xe is a good candidate for all of those accessories, mainly because it would be counter to the purpose of getting the hybrid in the first place.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If I could afford a 392 I’d have one, for the exhaust note alone.

But I can’t. What I can afford is the cheap lease rates on a Rubicon 4xe. Coupled with the fact that I’ll be pure electric almost all the time, and it will be a silent hunting partner, it is the best option for me.

Frankly I’m sad you can’t get a Jeep like my 2018 now, an 8AT 3.6L without the mild hybrid stuff. Your forced into either the 2.0T or the 3.6L with the mild hybrid for $1500.
You can still buy a 3.6 manual without any hybrid system for less...

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
It is all in the delivery, though. 392 delivers its power in a predictable, strong, linear progression, with no hesitations, no ifs or buts. Time after time. And it sounds glorious doing it.

Based on my short test drive, for 4Xe to deliver its max power, you have to be in the right “mode”, and you have to know how to press the throttle. Otherwise you get nothing but failed attempts. To top it all, the resulting sound is that of cats mating outside your window.
Right... based on your one short attempt, not the feedback from multiple owners who actually drive the 4xe daily. Seems like you have some personal vendetta! I will give you credit though, at least you admit it was a single, short test drive that you base your very vocal opinion off of.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Also, on extended highway cruising, the electric motors won't be providing much help, unless accelerating to pass and/or hitting a steep incline. Even a Prius suffers in the same situation.
Cruising on the highway you seem to get a blend when the main battery is "depleted". The ice is providing some propulsion and some power to charge the system while the electric motors are also providing some propulsion as well.

The only time the 4xe feels "under powered" is in electric mode (or hybrid mode if you're making a concerted effort to keep the ice from coming on), but then you're doing that by choice to maximize range on electricity.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.