Not open for further replies.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I have a 4xe and just posted my initial impressions on the 4xe forum. Has good and bad.

1. Level 2 charger is a must to maximize electric range as you can top off every time you are home. I personally find myself not wanting to use any gas even though I know that is not realistic or the intent of this vehicle.
  2. Max Regen requires some skill to truly maximize regen. Using it wrong can actually work against you. Key is to use it at the right time (i.e. not on the highway) and to not let it slow you down too aggressively by keeping your foot lightly on the accelerator (unless you need to come to a full stop) as it will cost you more power to get back up to speed than you earned by slowing down too much.
  3. Accleration is awesome compared to my ā€™12 JK even in 100% electric mode.
  4. 300 miles and gas tank still on FULL. I would be refillling my JK about now albeit I did have 35's on the JK and only 33's on the 4xe.
  5. Getting 24-26 all electric miles pretty consistently. Curious to see how this changes in winter.
  6. Another 25-50 electric miles would be awesome but baby steps.....
  7. Would be great to have the option to set Max Regen and electric as the default instead of having to press each time you start the car.
4xe specific...
Sponsored

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I guess if it isn't 100% dedicated to the 4xe is isn't relevant. So I guess this one is a no go...

21. All four wheels are round, way smoother than square wheels on the highway.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
The old saying "opinions are like assholes...everybody has one"

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Well, this was a review of the 4xe, was it not?
Right. I removed the comments that were not specific to the 4xe. Just for those who might only be interested in your opinion of the 4xe in particular.

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Right. I removed the comments that were not specific to the 4xe. Just for those who might only be interested in your opinion of the 4xe in particular.
Ok, my bad

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I really wish it was some other publication that provided this review. C&D tends to be pretty fair in their writing and competent in their analysis. I love my JL and all of its lousy geometry and performance metrics. I think that the xe is no different. One has to love the Jeep thing. We are a bunch of inelegant types that dig the bumps and wrinkles. If I wanted German shat, I would go buy German shat. Same with Tesla etc. So yea, maybe the hybrid is funky. Good. Just the way I like it!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Car magazines used to have a lot more sway back when the majority of us drove, well, cars.

Now that we live in an SUV/Truck world, car magazines are having a tough time adapting. They want to continue judging everything based on 0-60 times, g-forces and laps around the ā€˜Ring, which are simply irrelevant. More so when it comes to vehicles intended for off-road use.

Everyone wants a competent vehicle. But fewer buyers are interested in the car magazinesā€™ definition of what is a ā€œgoodā€ automobile.

I used to subscribe to all the main car mags; would read them cover to cover. Now I only receive Car and Driver, and am planning to let my subscription expire when it ends. Iā€™m tired of BMW this and Audi that.

I much rather watch Tommy share on YouTube why he bought a Wrangler, or Andrei show us from the Ford-sponsored press event how to open the back of a Bronco soft top.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
RIIIIGHT!. The only problem with this logic is R&T have been reviewing EV cars since they came out. Plenty of GREAT reviews by them on many of those EV cars. R&T isn't afraid of change. Maybe it is the folks on the forum that are blinded by their new purchase and can not say anything negative about the issues and shortfalls of the 4XE, not the "people clinging to the petrol past" that are the problem.
It's Car and Driver, not Road and Track. Also this author just got done shitting over the new Lightning because it isn't a high performance track truck. I stand by my statement, for new cars it has been much easier to transition the segment to BEV and PHEV platforms. Even enthusiasts can see, appreciate, and want the performance benefits of electrification.

Trucks, SUVs, and Jeeps have always been for a different demographic, with different wants/needs, and ideas of what their vehicle should be. For many in this segment there's no replacement for displacement and, if we are honest, alot of it has to do with image. While there are legitimate compromises with the segment's current battery electric offerings, for some electric powertrains will never align with the image they want to convey.

Intelligent conversation is one thing, but when something is flippantly dismissed with half assed comments and snide remarks its usually from a combination of dismissal, denial, and ignorance. Note that in my original post I said 'some' in as generic a way as possible, I didn't specify anyone. So if that post triggered 'you', maybe 'you' should look in the mirror and ask yourself why.

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
the article claimed launch torque is limited in 2wd mode. I have a 4xe and haven't had it in 4wd Auto much, but based on seat of the pants testing, it does seem true. I had it in 4wd Auto during a recent rain storm and I couldn't believe how fast it got off the line.
There are much better Full time EV Truck like vehicles coming out that will have amazing performance. Just hit the "Gas" and the go and go fast.

Only 2wd is fine for me. Got mine in spring and still have not been in 4wd except to make sure it is working. That will chance come fall in winter when I have an actual need for 4wd without purposely going out of my way to use 4wd.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
After having read the article, my biggest suprise was that it's actually pronounced "4 by E". All this time i have been reading/pronouncing it as it is written "4 x E" for some reason.

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
There are much better Full time EV Truck like vehicles coming out that will have amazing performance. Just hit the "Gas" and the go and go fast.
True but none of them are Jeeps. Can't take doors off or put top down, etc.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps used to attract a certain demographic. Not any more. For better or worse, Jeep is now the closest FCA has to a bread-and-butter brand.

It is for this reason that Jeep gets everything: 2 rows, 3 rows, RWD, FWD, AWD, 4WD, V8s, V6s, 4-cyl, diesel, plug-in hybrids, and soon enough, EVs.

Admittedly, Jeepā€™s entry models are not very competitive. My brother owned a 2015 Renegade: that thing was a total POS. After so many problems with it, the dealer swapped them into a Compass. But there is no real reason to buy a Compass over a RAV4, CX-3 or a CR-V. So Jeep is going to slap its compliance powertrains onto its high-demand vehicles ā€”Wrangler, Gladiator and Grand Cherokee.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Interesting. Every actual owner I've heard from raves about them. LOTS of power in hybrid mode.

But it doesn't float my boat, either. It would have to get about 50 or more miles of range before I'd even think about it. But silent electric off-roading is an intriguing idea. I'm a long-term owner, though, and I'm just not sure how these plug-in hybrids will do over more than a decade of ownership.

Sounds like some legitimate gripes, though. I'd love to drive one just to check it out. Not shocked that in gas mode only, it is actually less efficient than the straight 2.0.
Most PHEVs tend to have a similar full electric range. So the Wrangler isn't much different compared to the segment. For me it works out since I can do nearly all my day to day in full EV, up to 32 miles on a full charge. Even more with a couple hours of time to recharge.

Having a 100 mile range PHEV could cause issues with the fuel, forcing a fuel refresh mode.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.