Car and Driver trashes the 4xe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I don’t hate 4Xe. I even took a close look at it. I was that intrigued.

I already shared my comments on 4Xe on other threads.

IMO, 4Xe is a compromised solution that works very well for a small group of buyers. None of whom are likely to read Car and Driver.

If you belong to that small group, get one, collect the nice tax credit and enjoy the Jeep.
I had a 16 JKU on 37's and made the switch to the 4xe on 35s and have zero regrets. That being said I do fall into the category that benefits from what the vehicle offers over it's siblings, and the added power feels like an underappreciated benefit.

For me it wasnt a compromise, but I'll admit my situation isn't the same as everyone else's. I do believe that this represents the broader direction of the future though, and I think it deserves to be viewed in that light. As the tech gets better the batteries will get smaller and the range will get longer.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 16 JKU on 37's and made the switch to the 4xe on 35s and have zero regrets. That being said I do fall into the category that benefits from what the vehicle offers over it's siblings, and the added power feels like an underappreciated benefit.

For me it wasnt a compromise, but I'll admit my situation isn't the same as everyone else's. I do believe that this represents the broader direction of the future though, and I think it deserves to be viewed in that light. As the tech gets better the batteries will get smaller and the range will get longer.
No doubt the future is headed in this direction.

I just hope when my turn comes, 4Xe will run at least 100 miles on a charge, rear seat room won’t be reduced, and the cargo floor will fold totally flat.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
No doubt the future is headed in this direction.

I just hope when my turn comes, 4Xe will run at least 100 miles on a charge, rear seat room won’t be reduced, and the cargo floor will fold totally flat.
One way to have it fold totally flat is raise the level of the floor in the cargo area, it would make for either a covered cubby, or "long range" battery. I'm curious what people.would rather have, a lay flat cargo area, or more head room? As for the leg room I don't think it's that compromised, the seats are deeper but the distance from the seated passenger's hip to the back of the front seat is comparable to the others.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
just my two cents—
The 4xE is just a stepping stone. A chance for jeep to capture another market and to take a step towards the direction the car industry is going. This isn’t a great hybrid vehicle but it’s a start And it’s only going to get better... Hopefully?Great for those who stick to the roads, who don’t heavily mod and those who have short commutes. But if you plan on winching it, big tires, lifting it etc… you kind of defeat the purpose of the 4xE… But then again who really gets a wrangler for its mileage? Lol—

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I think what you are seeing with the reaction to the 4xe in Car and Driver, and frankly parts of this forum, is anxiety and desperately clinging to the petrol past. Change is scary and hard, but it is one of the few constants. Is the 4xe the future? No, but it's a bridge to a more sustainable future, and some people will never be able to cross it. This is a perfect microcosm of our society, people will hate and fight the change because it's not for them, either they don't understand it, or they see themselves being left behind by it.

From Henry Ford in 1922:
"Whatever we may regret about it, the old world as we knew it can never come back. It can never be the same again. Even if every human being on the globe devoted himself to reconstructing the old world as it was, it could not be done."

https://www.commonlit.org/en/texts/fear-of-change
Utter nonsense.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
But if you plan on winching it, big tires, lifting it etc… you kind of defeat the purpose of the 4xE…
I don't know about that, the torque curve is pretty advantageous to crawling. Sure big tires and lift defeats the efficiency benefits, but there's no reason to think the power train would not have anything but a positive effect on the trail. The only area I see the 4xe taking a step back from the rest of the lineup is on long distance highway driving, or extended overlanding trips where you don't have access to fuel.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
I don't know about that, the torque curve is pretty advantageous to crawling. Sure big tires and lift defeats the efficiency benefits, but there's no reason to think the power train would not have anything but a positive effect on the trail. The only area I see the 4xe taking a step back from the rest of the lineup is on long distance highway driving, or extended overlanding trips where you don't have access to fuel.
thats what I was trying to get at— once you start to mod the 4xE your mileage drops. The 4xE would be a great daily if you plan on keeping it mostly stock. I’m not trying to bash the 4xE I actually want one. My commute for work is 18 miles round trip so it would be perfect for me. But it’s a hefty premium you pay for what you get. right now I see this current model as a concept and the future generation of 4XE will be more refind.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a meme called 'they're right you know' lol

give us a v6 turbo GAS powered jeep.. stop jacking around....mpg, hp, low turbo lag, and high altitude efficiency

ford isn't f#cking around.. fca needs one too.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
We understand it. It’s not particle physics. We just disagree with you.

For multiple reasons, I prefer cloth seats. I don’t get this option on the 4xe, I get it in the lower priced Rubi. That’s why the actual MSRP comparison is valid to people like me, and not some hypothesized MSRP using an imagined buyer. Similarly, anybody who lives in the north may question the statement that everybody specs to LEDs. It’s simply not true, and for good reasons.

If an author went around overstating MSRPs based on assumptions, manufacturers would have an aneurysm. Blame the confusion on Jeep for forcing package upgrades on new model introductions in an attempt to push selling prices higher. It’s a basic marketing tactic taught in every business school in the country, and a smart one on their part.
In fairness i think most journalists would quote “comparably equipped” pricing. He didn’t because it didn’t fit his narrative.

As it is, he’s comparing a manual v6 rubicon against a 4Xe with a load of options. It isn’t false but it’s not a meaningful comparison.

i bought a manual v6 rubicon with only 2 options so the 4Xe isn’t for me. But certainly someone who is considering one wo
I saw a meme called 'they're right you know' lol

give us a v6 turbo GAS powered jeep.. stop jacking around....mpg, hp, low turbo lag, and high altitude efficiency

ford isn't f#cking around.. fca needs one too.
not going to happen. If you want this much power it’s diesel or hybrid. My guess is they will start phasing out the 5.7 and replacing with hybrids.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I think what you are seeing with the reaction to the 4xe in Car and Driver, and frankly parts of this forum, is anxiety and desperately clinging to the petrol past. Change is scary and hard, but it is one of the few constants. Is the 4xe the future? No, but it's a bridge to a more sustainable future, and some people will never be able to cross it. This is a perfect microcosm of our society, people will hate and fight the change because it's not for them, either they don't understand it, or they see themselves being left behind by it.

From Henry Ford in 1922:
"Whatever we may regret about it, the old world as we knew it can never come back. It can never be the same again. Even if every human being on the globe devoted himself to reconstructing the old world as it was, it could not be done."

https://www.commonlit.org/en/texts/fear-of-change
RIIIIGHT!. The only problem with this logic is R&T have been reviewing EV cars since they came out. Plenty of GREAT reviews by them on many of those EV cars. R&T isn't afraid of change. Maybe it is the folks on the forum that are blinded by their new purchase and can not say anything negative about the issues and shortfalls of the 4XE, not the "people clinging to the petrol past" that are the problem.

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
RIIIIGHT!. The only problem with this logic is R&T have been reviewing EV cars since they came out. Plenty of GREAT reviews by them on many of those EV cars. R&T isn't afraid of change. Maybe it is the folks on the forum that are blinded by their new purchase and can not say anything negative about the issues and shortfalls of the 4XE, not the "people clinging to the petrol past" that are the problem.
I have a 4xe and just posted my initial impressions on the 4xe forum. Has good and bad.

1. Level 2 charger is a must to maximize electric range as you can top off every time you are home. I personally find myself not wanting to use any gas even though I know that is not realistic or the intent of this vehicle.
  2. Max Regen requires some skill to truly maximize regen. Using it wrong can actually work against you. Key is to use it at the right time (i.e. not on the highway) and to not let it slow you down too aggressively by keeping your foot lightly on the accelerator (unless you need to come to a full stop) as it will cost you more power to get back up to speed than you earned by slowing down too much.
  3. Accleration is awesome compared to my ’12 JK even in 100% electric mode.
  4. Ride quality and interior comfort are also much improved over the JK.
  5. Uconnect app is pretty great but updating it is painfully slooooooooooooooooooooow.
  6. Backup camera lines disappearing is a small but annoying bug.
  7. Stock Rubi wheels are sharp but Jeep needs a blackout option.
  8. Alpine sound system sounds pretty good but needs more power. I had the Alpine system installed in my JK aftermarket and the subwoofer would vibrate the seats, this system doesn't.
  9. 300 miles and gas tank still on FULL. I would be refillling my JK about now albeit I did have 35's on the JK and only 33's on the 4xe.
  10. Soft top operation is much easier and the auto folding is very convenient. Nice touch.
  11. Speaking of the soft top, the frame is so much quieter than the JK. Doesn’t rattle at all.
  12. The paint around the hinges is sub par. You can see the primer through the white paint in a few areas where the hinge meets the door. Tailgate is the worst.
  13. 2 hard rains and it doesn’t leak!
  14. Check your fuses! 30-40% of mine were not seated fully.
  15. Getting 24-26 all electric miles pretty consistently. Curious to see how this changes in winter.
  16. Another 25-50 electric miles would be awesome but baby steps.....
  17. Wish Carplay was wireless.
  18. Would be great to have the option to set Max Regen and electric as the default instead of having to press each time you start the car.
  19. The power windows need the option to automatically go all the way up so you don't have to hold the button. Small, I know.
  20. The space between the fender flare and body panel is too large leaving room for debris and small rocks, luckily there are some good hacks on the JL Wrangler forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.