First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You'll have to shift into 4WD Auto if you want to hustle the plug-in hybrid that hard, because in two-wheel-drive mode the Wrangler throttles the torque, resulting in a 60-mph time that's 1.3 seconds slower.
Amidst all of the angst about C&D's pricing comments, some missed this gem. So, basically, in order to access the full power output, one needs to drive around in 4wd? Otherwise, it's the slowest 0-60 in the whole Wrangler power plant range.

I don't follow the 4xe posts. Has this been previously discussed? Everyone's cool with that?
Sponsored

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
All right, I was fine until that MFā€™ing metro sexual just had to include curb crawling at the Piggly Wiggly! He just had to pick a rural icon to compare Jeep owners to in an attempt to paint a picture of Jeep owners as poor rural hillbillies and belittle owners enthusiasm for such an iconic piece of Americana!
Car and Driver can suck it!!

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
I've been a regular reader of C&D for many, many years and they certainly have a bias towards sporty cars. However, I do trust their analysis.

The most concerning critique in their review is how they describe the poor integration between the two propulsion systems. This surprises me. In everything that I've read in the forums and viewed in the automotive press video reviews, drivers go out of their way to praise the seamlessness of the two systems.

Can the current owners please address this?

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Amidst all of the angst about C&D's pricing comments, some missed this gem. So, basically, in order to access the full power output, one needs to drive around in 4wd? Otherwise, it's the slowest 0-60 in the whole Wrangler power plant range.

I don't follow the 4xe posts. Has this been previously discussed? Everyone's cool with that?
I have not checked if this is accurate, but assuming arguendo that it is, since one can use 4wd auto, why is this an issue?

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC

They didn't say that unless it's in 4WA, then it's the slowest model in the lineup. They said that in order to achieve the best 0-60 time, you need to be in 4WA.

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I'm not a fan of the 4xe
I'm not a fan of climbing or descending rocks and 40Āŗ slopes with an extra 800 lbs under a back seat and a 4 banger overheating, long after a battery and two useless electric motors have quit.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I'm not a fan of climbing or descending rocks and 40Āŗ slopes with an extra 800 lbs under a back seat and a 4 banger overheating, long after a battery and two useless electric motors have quit.
I drove from Central Fl to Baltimore and back. I charged once before I left which was depleted in less than 20 miles. The batteries and electric motors never quit. It never ran on just the ICE. That isn't how the hybrid system works in the 4xe. Even after 1800 miles without charging, I was never without the added power from the electric motors when needed.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
C&D is telling their readers what they want to hear: That they made the right choice buying the Rav4 or the Forester lol. Or maybe, that they made the right choice buying the V6 rubicon.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Well said.

I don't know how people aren't understanding this
We understand it. Itā€™s not particle physics. We just disagree with you.

For multiple reasons, I prefer cloth seats. I donā€™t get this option on the 4xe, I get it in the lower priced Rubi. Thatā€™s why the actual MSRP comparison is valid to people like me, and not some hypothesized MSRP using an imagined buyer. Similarly, anybody who lives in the north may question the statement that everybody specs to LEDs. Itā€™s simply not true, and for good reasons.

If an author went around overstating MSRPs based on assumptions, manufacturers would have an aneurysm. Blame the confusion on Jeep for forcing package upgrades on new model introductions in an attempt to push selling prices higher. Itā€™s a basic marketing tactic taught in every business school in the country, and a smart one on their part.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
Doesnā€™t change the fact I am super excited about my custom order 4xE. And for someone who drives six minutes to work like me. It makes perfect sense. And with the tax rebate itā€™s less for me than a similarly equipped 2L turbo.

Sponsored

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport

For multiple reasons, I prefer cloth seats. I donā€™t get this option on the 4xe, I get it in the lower priced Rubi. Thatā€™s why the actual MSRP comparison is valid to people like me, and not some hypothesized MSRP using an imagined buyer. Similarly, anybody who lives in the north may question the statement that everybody specs to LEDs. Itā€™s simply not true, and for good reasons.

If an author went around overstating MSRPs based on assumptions, manufacturers would have an aneurysm. Blame the confusion on Jeep for forcing package upgrades on new model introductions in an attempt to push selling prices higher. Itā€™s a basic marketing tactic taught in every business school in the country, and a smart one on their part.
Strange, my Rubicon 4xE is with cloth seats. Donā€™t know about Sahara but cloth is fine on Rubicon. Most get LED lights but you can clearly find something to dislike. It does not make the articleā€™s claim nor your argument any stronger. For most people who will buy the Sahara or Rubicon trim, the 4xE is more economical or, at the most, only slightly more money. To ignore and/or to assign no value the options that come with the 4xE is simply disingenuous.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe

Iā€™m really not sure why youā€™re contorting yourself to justify the authorā€™s disingenuous reporting. And it IS disingenuous ā€” the fact is that the entry level 2.0T and the entry level 4xe are not directly comparable simply because they are optioned so differently. He conveniently omits that fact entirely!

All the author had to do was to say something along the lines of ā€œThe base Sahara 4xe is $X more than the base Sahara 2.0T, but when the 2.0T is similarly equipped to the 4xe the difference drops to $Y. The Rubicon is similar at $A base, but $B similarly equipped.ā€œ. That would have been factual, accurate, and given readers the complete picture.

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO

I'm confused. Do you think that the 4xe Rubi isn't available with cloth seats?

Perhaps before you post about particle physics you could, I dunno, open up the 4xe build page and check whether or not cloth seats are available.

Might be a good idea. YMMV, though.

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
Strange, my Rubicon 4xE is with cloth seats. Donā€™t know about Sahara but cloth is fine on Rubicon. Most get LED lights but you can clearly find something to dislike. It does not make the articleā€™s claim nor your argument any stronger. For most people who will buy the Sahara or Rubicon trim, the 4xE is more economical or, at the most, only slightly more money. To ignore and/or to assign no value the options that come with the 4xE is simply disingenuous.
Something something particle physics something something

JLSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I've been a regular reader of C&D for many, many years and they certainly have a bias towards sporty cars. However, I do trust their analysis.

The most concerning critique in their review is how they describe the poor integration between the two propulsion systems. This surprises me. In everything that I've read in the forums and viewed in the automotive press video reviews, drivers go out of their way to praise the seamlessness of the two systems.

Can the current owners please address this?
I've got almost 3,000 miles on my Sahara 4xe, and I am still impressed how seamless the electric and ICE systems are integrated. Most of the time you cannot even tell when the ICE comes on or shuts off.

My commutes are perfect for what the 4xe is designed for. I get almost 30 miles of pure electric range, can plug it in at work, and only have to fill up with gas about once a month over approximately 1500 miles. Yes, it does cost for electricity to charge it, but it is less than half the cost of running it on gas.

All highway, I get about 19mpg at 75mph, and yes the ICE is almost always on. City driving even with a depleted battery, it still runs in hybrid mode and switches between the two systems and I get around 25 mpg.

That article was misleading at best and not well written. But to each their own. Personally I love mine and wouldn't think twice about recommending it or buying it again.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.