DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Every actual owner I've heard from raves about them. LOTS of power in hybrid mode.

But it doesn't float my boat, either. It would have to get about 50 or more miles of range before I'd even think about it. But silent electric off-roading is an intriguing idea. I'm a long-term owner, though, and I'm just not sure how these plug-in hybrids will do over more than a decade of ownership.

Sounds like some legitimate gripes, though. I'd love to drive one just to check it out. Not shocked that in gas mode only, it is actually less efficient than the straight 2.0.

Sponsored

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
Can't defeat the physics of the extra weight, and when the 2L turbo kicks in is a bit of a mystery to me too, but between the torque, the 20 miles of electric (enough to get to the grocery and back) and the federal discount I feel like it was a good option for me. Anyone know if there's a maintenance/reliability drain using it in 4W auto more often? (I'd expect a MPG drain also.)

OP
OP
JimLee

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
  • Banned
Can't defeat the physics of the extra weight, and when the 2L turbo kicks in is a bit of a mystery to me too, but between the torque, the 20 miles of electric (enough to get to the grocery and back) and the federal discount I feel like it was a good option for me. Anyone know if there's a maintenance/reliability drain using it in 4W auto more often? (I'd expect a MPG drain also.)
I don't know enough about the platform but 4WD Auto shouldn't do anything different than 2WD unless it detects traction slippage. Except of course it seems that is the way to get all the power out if a 4xe.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Ouch

[but...it does seem like they are shooting straight]

Last edited:

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I don't know enough about the platform but 4WD Auto shouldn't do anything different than 2WD unless it detects traction slippage.
the article claimed launch torque is limited in 2wd mode. I have a 4xe and haven't had it in 4wd Auto much, but based on seat of the pants testing, it does seem true. I had it in 4wd Auto during a recent rain storm and I couldn't believe how fast it got off the line.

Sponsored

alpha1847

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I posted a few times on that silly review. I don't know why they keep reviewing the Rubicon, purpose built for off road, but then focus on on-road drivability. If that's what they wanted to focus on, why not test the Sahara? It's still more capable off road than 99% of the vehicles they test and it would fare much better on the topics they focus on. Having a Sahara 4xe myself, my experience had been completely different, especially on the fuel economy and electric range.

OP
OP
JimLee

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
the article claimed launch torque is limited in 2wd mode. I have a 4xe and haven't had it in 4wd Auto much, but based on seat of the pants testing, it does seem true. I had it in 4wd Auto during a recent rain storm and I couldn't believe how fast it got off the line.
Yea, I edited my post. I imagine there's too much torque for a factory axle, so they have to de-rate it in 2wd mode.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Tough review by someone whoā€™s obviously NOT a Jeep personšŸ˜. Still, at least for MY use, Iā€™d have to agree Somewhat. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Give it say, 100 mile electric range and get it where hybrid drive is at least as fuel efficient as a plain 2.0 T and it would get interesting. Until then, Iā€™ll pass. I know there are lots of ā€œpro electric folksā€ out there, and thatā€™s ok, but giving the issues of increased complexity, battery production/recycling issues, and the fact that something still has to make the electricity, I just donā€™t see it today..YMMV

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I edited my post. I imagine there's too much torque for a factory axle, so they have to de-rate it in 2wd mode.
Or just to avoid wheelspin.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.