Car and Driver trashes the 4xe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
The issue of censorship isn't over the opinion, opinions are subjective as is their right. The problem is when something is objectively incorrect it is no longer an opinion, it's a fallacy and should be corrected or removed. That isn't censorship, it's maintaining the integrity of truth.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Is it that they published the list price? Does every single buyer qualify for the tax break (really a government subsidy). And as fast as things are changing now, will the subsidy exist in the future?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've been reading C&D longer than many (most?) of you have been alive. I don't always agree with their opinion, but I've never doubted their ethics, or approach. Lately my favorite car magazine is MT. It took me decades to forgive them for naming the Vega as Car of the Year in the very early 70s. Come to think of it, I held my grudge long after the last Vega was dead and buried - but that didn't take all that long :).

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Is it that they published the list price? Does every single buyer qualify for the tax break (really a government subsidy). And as fast as things are changing now, will the subsidy exist in the future?
The subsidy is subject to change. It might even be increased! All are eligible to take advantage of the tax credit, but whether it is helpful to any given individual will depend on income levels and how much a person owes in taxes for a given year. If you have to pay $7500 or more, you can get the full tax credit is how I understand it. Current law phases out the tax credit for each electric vehicle manufacturer after 200,000 vehicles are sold by that manufacturer. See: https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-ins-and-outs-of-electric-vehicle-tax-credits.html

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
From the article: "especially given the $10,705 premium over a V-6 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon"

You have to factor in all of the options that come standard with the 4xe vs the v6, the author did not. To make it an apples to apples comparison you need to spec up the standard Rubicon which makes the actual premium of the PHEV powertrain about half of the number listed. Also at the time of print the tax credit applies to all 4xe purchases, and I would wager the majority of people who are buying them pay enough in taxes to receive the credit.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I posted a few times on that silly review. I don't know why they keep reviewing the Rubicon, purpose built for off road, but then focus on on-road drivability. If that's what they wanted to focus on, why not test the Sahara? It's still more capable off road than 99% of the vehicles they test and it would fare much better on the topics they focus on. Having a Sahara 4xe myself, my experience had been completely different, especially on the fuel economy and electric range.
Its company war tactics 101. Some "other" company interested in winning the offroad sales, would pay the media site/reviewer etc. money to say certain things that would appeal... negative to the general buyer..

They are betting on people not knowing better and thus brainwashing them, and it works

The sad part is that its false advertising and false reporting. But we live in a free country so the media has freedom too.. to destroy our society.. and it works!

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
You'll have to shift into 4WD Auto if you want to hustle the plug-in hybrid that hard, because in two-wheel-drive mode the Wrangler throttles the torque, resulting in a 60-mph time that's 1.3 seconds slower.

I have a 3.6e and I I 4wd auto..Can someone who knows Jeep explain if/how this is true?
I was under the impression that 4x only kicked in with slipperage?
Or does the 3.6e in 4w Auto mode use all of the wheels to push the Jeep forward?

MallTerrainVehicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They could have been more clear with what options the prices include but it's also not their fault that Jeep lumped it up that way. Not everyone wants LED lights/bigger infotainment/etc, I certainly didn't with my 2.0 Rubicon. So ideally Jeep could have kept the price down and let the buyer decide if they want the 'luxuries' to go with the new powerplant

And as far as rebates, they won't be around forever and eventually the cap will fill. Plus not everyone qualifies for the full amount. Magazines will compare MSRP vs MSRP even when we all know certain cars/brands get big discounts and others don't. Too many variables

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
The tax credit is only part of the equation. The 4XE comes with a bunch of options like LED headlights that most who spec a rubicon or Sahara trim will want. When you compare apples to apples (same options) then price difference is like $2500 for Sahara and $5k for Rubicon. If tax credit applies, 4XE cheaper but even if not, price difference is much less than the article states (1/4 to 1/2 the amount the article quotes). What is written is arguably “true” but far from an accurate picture. This is why I call it misleading.
Well said.

I don't know how people aren't understanding this and why this piece is just garbage journalism.

The whining about censorship is . . . amusing at least. I don't think anyone is seriously talking about censoring a bad piece of journalism.

Sponsored

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
They could have been more clear with what options the prices include but it's also not their fault that Jeep lumped it up that way. Not everyone wants LED lights/bigger infotainment/etc, I certainly didn't with my 2.0 Rubicon. So ideally Jeep could have kept the price down and let the buyer decide if they want the 'luxuries' to go with the new powerplant

And as far as rebates, they won't be around forever and eventually the cap will fill. Plus not everyone qualifies for the full amount. Magazines will compare MSRP vs MSRP even when we all know certain cars/brands get big discounts and others don't. Too many variables
Perhaps C&D should have bothered to mention that when they were discussing pricing.

They did not.

Instead, they insinuated that the price of the 4xe was over $10,000 more than a non-4xe. This is just simply deceptive. I don't think that this was purposeful or anything. Just lazy. Guessing author didn't feel like pricing out the comparable builds.

It would have taken one or two sentences to mention this.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I'm amused by the number of Toyota ads popping up in the right hand column...slowing things down. No Bronco ads yet:CWL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A couple weeks ago I went through the exercise of pricing out a well-equipped Sahara V6 and a Sahara 4Xe. Once I added LEDs, leather, Selec-Trac, etc., to make the two comparable, MSRP on the 4Xe was only $1,500 more. When you deduct the $7,500 tax credit, the 4Xe comes out ahead.

Of course dealers are more willing to discount a V6 than a 4Xe, but that’s highly dependent on the individual dealer.

Suffice to say, I was surprised how “affordable“ FCA made this plug-in hybrid.

Somehow all of this appears to be rocket science for car magazine writers...

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
The fact that I'll be a long term owner was enough for me to decide I did not want ancient battery tech in (then) 10 years. Plus the rear cannot be put entirely down as the rear seats sit higher for the battery.
If I was going to unload it in 5 years it would be a different story.
Other than that I would have given it some thought.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Haters gotta hate....... I'm not a fan of the 4xe, but to
I'm amused by the number of Toyota ads popping up in the right hand column...slowing things down. No Bronco ads yet:CWL:
My favorite has to be the Honda CR-V ads popping up. Really? Honda CR-V? I bought one in 2010 and kept it for 10 months before bailing. A Honda CR-V is an upsized Civic.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.