Sponsored

Car and Driver Review of 2 Door V-6 Manual

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Sport S I'm getting is $10k less than a Rubicon. It still will have std. a/c, p/w, p/l, alloys, and $3,500 worth of options including. trailer tow, ltd slip,, all terr.tires, alpine system, xm radio, deluxe top, even adding the Rubicon optional steel bumpers for an additional $2k brings the total to about $10k less than a Rubicon. I'm not going off road and I don't need such low gearing and rock-climbing suspension and tires, and I don't want the luxury features of an Escalade either.
Agree.. The Rubicon is a well outfitted vehicle but it's more than I wanted. I do not need nor want the bells and whistles. When I went in to buy mine the salesman thought I was insane. Told him I wanted manual windows and locks. The less electronics the better in my mind as I live in PNW where it can be sunny all day, pour rain for 10 minutes, then back to sunny. While I do plan on using a bikini top in the summer (once I get it) that still won't keep 100% of the rain out. Also, less electronics, less to go wrong...

I don't rock crawl and I wanted something capable of moderate off-roading which any of the Jeeps are more than capable of...

It's a to each their own kind of thing. All the models offer something for someone. Want creature comforts? You can get them. Want a stripper? You can get it too.... The only options my Unlimited has is automatic, hardtop and anti-spin differential. Those were the only options I wanted.
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Huh? This comment makes no sense whatsoever. Most who buy a Jeep, be it sport, sahara or rubicon, spend $$$$ upgrading. Almost the exact oposite of what you've said is true. With Rubicon buyers selling their takoff items it;s dirt cheap to upgrade a sport.

I had no interest at all in the bells and whistles the Rubicon had to offer so I went sport. There are a few things I wanted from the Rubicon though. Wheels (I like them) rock rails and the front fender flares.

I bought take off wheels for $600 and bought takeoff rock rails for $140. $740 total, At some point when Rubicon owners start upgrading their fender flares I'll snag those.

If someone want to upgrade their sport suspension you can easily snag a rubicon take off for $300 after the rubicon owner shells out $1200 for the mopar lift...

My point? Everyone (most) upgrade their Jeep regardless of which model they buy..
Depends on your point of view, your goals, etc...

It's clear for some the bargain you have in a Rubicon. I'm not here to convince you, so go and spend the $10k you saved on anything you like.

Didn't we already establish that as one of the best things about a Jeep? You get to make it your own.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I do not need nor want the bells and whistles. When I went in to buy mine the salesman thought I was insane. Told him I wanted manual windows and locks. The less electronics the better in my mind... less electronics, less to go wrong...

I don't rock crawl and I wanted something capable of moderate off-roading which any of the Jeeps are more than capable of...
The bold in particular--mine was the same way. He thought I was mental for wanting a manual trans, crank windows, manual locks, no tint, etc.

I ordered a base model with A/C and anti-spin. And it's gonna be going many more places than half the "Rubi's" here. "All show, no go" isn't as cool as "all go, literally all go". The massive savings are going to help with my other goal--have a weekend sports car! It's one hell of a two-car garage.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The bold in particular--mine was the same way. He thought I was mental for wanting a manual trans, crank windows, manual locks, no tint, etc.

I ordered a base model with A/C and anti-spin. And it's gonna be going many more places than half the "Rubi's" here. "All show, no go" isn't as cool as "all go, literally all go". The massive savings are going to help with my other goal--have a weekend sports car! It's one hell of a two-car garage.
Yeah he thought I was nuts but I couldn't care less about power windows and locks.. I actually do have them though. My arm powers the windows up and down and my finger powers the door locks! Kind of like 2/60 AC back in the day.. 2 windows down at 60mph... :p

People should just get what they want. We also live in a 'compete with the Joneses' type world and some are into that sort of thing. More power to em and to each their own.

Me? I wanted the base stripper so that's what I scored. Don't really care if a Rubicon owner looks down upon my lowly base sport Jeep... I am also not into badges and stickers so even if I had purchased a Rubicon, the stickers and badges would have been removed...

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Yeah he thought I was nuts but I couldn't care less about power windows and locks.. I actually do have them though. My arm powers the windows up and down and my finger powers the door locks! Kind of like 2/60 AC back in the day.. 2 windows down at 60mph... :p

People should just get what they want. We also live in a compete with the Joneses type world and some are into that sort of thing. More power to em and to each their own.

Me? I wanted the base stripper so that's what I scored. Don't really care if a Rubicon owner looks down upon my lowly base sport Jeep... I am also not into badges and stickers so even if I had purchased a Rubicon and the stickers and badges would have been removed...
Recently a poster on this forum claimed that "people look down upon non-Rubicons". It was an interesting thing to watch someone be full-of-shit about.

Honestly I think the Sport is gonna be status. For a 2018 vehicle, it's remarkably spartan in its appointments.

Enjoy yours! I know I'm gonna enjoy mine. :)

Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
many buyers just want the basics at a lower price me included. why pay for "bells + whistles" if not wanted allowing more buyers able to afford new!!

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
@carguy1959

I think you miss my point, but I'm not knocking the Sport. Even the base Unicorn is an outstanding off road beast with personality.

To some, the extra you get with the Rubicon is worth it. That is all.

Happy trails. :jk:
I had my first CJ-5 in 1978 and have owned almost every version up through my 2019 2Dr, 6 Spd Rubicon. I added enough features so that the extras were close to what I would have built-out. I also like the 4.10's. I don't use every aspect of the Rubicon, but having it available, and especially at resale, I think it is the best value for me. I also loved my Sport S with Limited Slip Diffs and a 3.73, but it was time to have the lockers at my disposal. Everyone knows what they need and want for their specific use.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I had my first CJ-5 in 1978 and have owned almost every version up through my 2019 2Dr, 6 Spd Rubicon. I added enough features so that the extras were close to what I would have built-out. I also like the 4.10's. I don't use every aspect of the Rubicon, but having it available, and especially at resale, I think it is the best value for me. I also loved my Sport S with Limited Slip Diffs and a 3.73, but it was time to have the lockers at my disposal. Everyone knows what they need and want for their specific use.
You do know this thread is over two years old, right?

I've got a 2Dr, 6 Spd Rubicon on order, but honestly for what I want to do I would have been better off ordering a Willys S and upgrading the axles and transfer case.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I hadn't seen that Car and Driver article, so thanks for bringing this thread back to life.
I would love to see even more basic Jeeps at a lower price, but the one time I took my YJ wheeling I was nearly stuck in 3 wheel drive. I decided to have lockers on this one. Haven't used them yet, but it's peace of mind and great resale value.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Bought an eerily similar optioned 19 Sport (plus all weather floor mats).

Only regret after Moab is not having a rear locker.

Front Dana 30 is a blessing - keeps me from going bigger than 33s. 😂

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I've had many eye opening experiences that made me respect the Jeeps. Far more capable than you know, but lets not fool ourselves. You buy a sport and you will eventually spend more than a Rubicon upgrading bits here and there. That is, if you wheel with the nutters.

If you just want to explore and have fun, then do it. Any Wrangler will bring years of smiles. I recommend topless. (Just bring a wet bag with rain gear and extra socks.)
I've spent a nice chuck of change modding my base Unlimited but none of my upgrades would have come standard on a Rubicon.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I think lockers may be one of the most important features even if they aren’t used much. When you need them you need them and not much else will suffice.