MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Car and Driver has done what they call an "in-depth" comparison review against a bunch of competitors.

Probably the worst edited article I've ever read from a professional car magazine, lots of mixed up graphics and some obvious errors, but lots and lots of measurements comparing the JL Sport and Sahara against the 4-Runner, Cherokee and Colorado. Maybe they will fix the editing by the time you read it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-in-depth-model-review

Overall the commentary seems pretty fair minded. I'm actually impressed with how well the JL stands up against the competition. Faster, stops better, rides as good, handles almost as good, cheaper, looks better. What's not to love!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @DanW tell me it doesn’t take 20 seconds to get from 50 to 70 with your manual.
No, it does just fine 50-70. Lol. The engine pulls strong all the way to redline. No issues passing on the highway, even with 35's. I think they were smoking medicinal weed when they did that.

I'm telling you, these yo-yo's at C&D and Motor Trend have forgotten how to drive a manual. They are still bitching about the quick clutch takeup. It is perfectly fine. I drive it every day. I don't know how it could be better. The shifter isn't notchy, either. It is smooth. Now if they accelerated in top gear only, yeah, it would take a month to get to 70. 5th is overdrive and 6th is mega overdrive. WTH, C&D?!?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
No, it does just fine 50-70. Lol. The engine pulls strong all the way to redline. No issues passing on the highway, even with 35's. I think they were smoking medicinal weed when they did that.

I'm telling you, these yo-yo's at C&D and Motor Trend have forgotten how to drive a manual. They are still bitching about the quick clutch takeup. It is perfectly fine. I drive it every day. I don't know how it could be better. The shifter isn't notchy, either. It is smooth. Now if they accelerated in top gear only, yeah, it would take a month to get to 70. 5th is overdrive and 6th is mega overdrive. WTH, C&D?!?
I think that's actually what they're doing. Someone needs to break the news to them that that isn't a fair comparison to letting a freaking automatic kick down.

Those zero to sixty and quarter mile times for the manual were pretty crazy though lol. Apparently if I miss a shift I'll lose a drag race to a manual JL.

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Considering the next one down is the unlimited, and it shows 4.9 sec 50-70, Id guess it was a fat finger mistake

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
I think that's actually what they're doing. Someone needs to break the news to them that that isn't a fair comparison to letting a freaking automatic kick down.

Those zero to sixty and quarter mile times for the manual were pretty crazy though lol. Apparently if I miss a shift I'll lose a drag race to a manual JL.
They were comparing a 2door manual sport to an unlimited Sahara in this test. If you look at the specs the Sahara weighs 500 lbs more. This would equal the gap in the 0-60 times they posted although I’m suprised how quick the manual tested.

The 50-70 times they do in top gear which is a weird test if you ask me. But they’ve always done it. I get they’re testing passing power at speed, but with vastly different gear ratios among vehicles and manuals and autos, it seems a bit unfair to the manual here.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Test drove a JL today for the first time. Sport with S package and automatic trans. $38,000 sticker (!). Absolutely insane.

Anyway, the 8-speed is SO NICE. Wrangler has needed that for years! The entire Jeep was nice, actually, except for one thing.......

The handling/steering is awful. Worst of any new vehicle I've driven. Worse than the JK. Maybe worse than the TJ. Just awful. It wondered all over the road. Required constant steering wheel input. We're talking newly constructed 4-lane highways with sunshine and a light breeze. Had to keep two hands on the wheel. Lots of "tug-boating" going on. Also the steering felt "tight" for lack of a better way of putting it. Almost like it had little to no return to center programmed into it. It was just not a good feeling experience. Very disappointed there.

Oh, and it bounced a lot. Ride quality was pretty stiff. Stiffer than what I remember from my JKU when it was new. The one I drove had the Michelin 245/75 tires on it. Overall, not impressed with ride quality...but...it also wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Otherwise, the ESS is great, the new soft top is great, the new tire options are great, the dash looks great, it's all great. Too bad the sticker price puts them out of reach.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
The handling/steering is awful. Worst of any new vehicle I've driven. Worse than the JK. Maybe worse than the TJ. Just awful. It wondered all over the road. Required constant steering wheel input. We're talking newly constructed 4-lane highways with sunshine and a light breeze. Had to keep two hands on the wheel. Lots of "tug-boating" going on. Also the steering felt "tight" for lack of a better way of putting it. Almost like it had little to no return to center programmed into it. It was just not a good feeling experience. Very disappointed there.

Oh, and it bounced a lot. Ride quality was pretty stiff. Stiffer than what I remember from my JKU when it was new. The one I drove had the Michelin 245/75 tires on it. Overall, not impressed with ride quality...but...it also wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
These complaints collectively make me wonder whether the tires were overinflated.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
These complaints collectively make me wonder whether the tires were overinflated.
Plenty of other vehicles steer/handle just fine with over-inflated tires (even other vehicles with solid front axles). There must be something systematically wrong with the JL steering.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
I've given up on car/truck magazines a long time ago. They are all whores for the advertising. They announce a car/truck of the year before the vehicle ever hits the show rooms. Call one of them and ask them what it costs for a full page color ad. They would say anything to keep those ad dollars rolling in. Especially since the dawn of the Internet.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I didn't realize there were so many other complaints about the steering, but it makes me feel good to know I'm not crazy!

Since the JL steering has electronic control designed into it, I would think that Jeep could maybe fix some of the issue with simple software updates in the future.

For now, the horrendous steering/handling isn't the deal breaker for me...the price is. Going to have to look for one with zero options.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Why are they hating so hard on the MT? Did they want Jeep to put the Miata MT in a Wrangler? I don't get it.
It's funny, because they absolutely love the 6MT in the 2016+ Tacoma, yet hate this one.

I've driven that 6MT in that newer Tacoma, and it still drives like a shit truck transmission. Meanwhile I've driven the new JL 6MT and it's fantastic, as others have attested.

The fact they showed stats for the 6MT's 50-70mph time of 20+ seconds, apparently keeping it in 6th gear instead of downshifting properly, is a monument to how out of touch car reviewers are in some areas. What's next? Flooring it in first gear and holding it and posting a negative review because it wouldn't accelerate past 7200rpm?

This forum is a better source for reviews of the 6MT. Honda makes some of the best manuals around, and I have a wonderful 6MT in my V6 Accord. This transmission and clutch is better than that.
Sponsored