Sponsored

Capitale Chrysler in Quebec convinced me not to buy a Jeep.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
I had been waiting for a year or so to buy the JL unlimited rubicon i wanted. Mojito fully loaded (MSRP around 62 000). It would have been my first FCA product so i was a bit nervous at the reliability issues and all, but still, i was completely decided to make my purchase this month. Note: prices are in canadian dollars.

I had sent many emails asking for prices to local and regional Jeep dealers. Most dealers gave me a price around 57 000$ CAD +taxes, but one, Capitale Chrysler sends me an offer for 56 000$.

My target price was about 55 000 so i send them a message with the offer, adding the cold weather group option (that's about 12% off MSRP, but it includes over 10 k of options, and is the most profitable trim, so i know they will make money.

The representative replies with a sales manager approved offer of 55785 stating that they're giving me a 50% rebate on the option. (I find this quite funny since the option costs 895...and 50% of that is not 785$). But anyway that's all good.

With the offer so close to my price, I tell them that my offer stands and i am ready close the deal if they agree.

They tell me to come and see them in person and give me an appointment with the sales manager on the next day (yesterday).

Now the funny thing is that when we get there, the sales manager is curiously unaware of the emails, or pretty much even my name. Then, he assigns me to another sales representative who pretends having no clue whatsoever about the emails exchanged with them and when i talk about this they feign indignation stating that my offer is 2 000$ under their cost...and that they only make 700$ on such vehicles.

I mention to them that their own sales representative gave me an offer of 56 000 initially, so how could 55 000 be 2k under their cost? He replies that "mistakes happens". Then of course we leave.

Even if i had accepted the 55 785 by email, i am 100% certain that hey intend to bait and switch. They just wanted me to get there in person.

I knew very well that i was going to get BS the minute that the sales manager didn't want to meet me as planned. But to treat someone with such lack of respect is beyond reason. To think that these guys are the largest dealers in the city, these guys managed to convince me that if they're willing to do such tactics when negotiating for sales...they will do even worse when you need service from them. I could not trust them with any vehicle that's for sure.

I still think that the Wrangler is a great vehicle, but i do not encourage anyone to go at Capitale Chrysler in Quebec. In my case it convinced me not to buy one because i do not trust the dealer to provide reliable service after sales.

Keep in mind that i am not mad at them for not accepting my offer at all (really, it's just normal negociating), but rather i am pissed off at how they treated us with the least respect possible once we met.
Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
I had been waiting for a year or so to buy the JL unlimited rubicon i wanted. Mojito fully loaded (MSRP around 62 000). It would have been my first FCA product so i was a bit nervous at the reliability issues and all, but still, i was completely decided to make my purchase this month. Note: prices are in canadian dollars.

I had sent many emails asking for prices to local and regional Jeep dealers. Most dealers gave me a price around 57 000$ CAD +taxes, but one, Capitale Chrysler sends me an offer for 56 000$.

My target price was about 55 000 so i send them a message with the offer, adding the cold weather group option (that's about 12% off MSRP, but it includes over 10 k of options, and is the most profitable trim, so i know they will make money.

The representative replies with a sales manager approved offer of 55785 stating that they're giving me a 50% rebate on the option. (I find this quite funny since the option costs 895...and 50% of that is not 785$). But anyway that's all good.

With the offer so close to my price, I tell them that my offer stands and i am ready close the deal if they agree.

They tell me to come and see them in person and give me an appointment with the sales manager on the next day (yesterday).

Now the funny thing is that when we get there, the sales manager is curiously unaware of the emails, or pretty much even my name. Then, he assigns me to another sales representative who pretends having no clue whatsoever about the emails exchanged with them and when i talk about this they feign indignation stating that my offer is 2 000$ under their cost...and that they only make 700$ on such vehicles.

I mention to them that their own sales representative gave me an offer of 56 000 initially, so how could 55 000 be 2k under their cost? He replies that "mistakes happens". Then of course we leave.

Even if i had accepted the 55 785 by email, i am 100% certain that hey intend to bait and switch. They just wanted me to get there in person.

I knew very well that i was going to get BS the minute that the sales manager didn't want to meet me as planned. But to treat someone with such lack of respect is beyond reason. To think that these guys are the largest dealers in the city, these guys managed to convince me that if they're willing to do such tactics when negotiating for sales...they will do even worse when you need service from them. I could not trust them with any vehicle that's for sure.

I still think that the Wrangler is a great vehicle, but i do not encourage anyone to go at Capitale Chrysler in Quebec. In my case it convinced me not to buy one because i do not trust the dealer to provide reliable service after sales.

Keep in mind that i am not mad at them for not accepting my offer at all (really, it's just normal negociating), but rather i am pissed off at how they treated us with the least respect possible once we met.
Sorry for your experience, hope it doesn't quell your excitement about the purchase .. with another dealership, of course!

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
I do have other dealers to check by, but it does put a damper on the excitement. Trouble is, they would have been the closest place for service. Anyways i have my wife to convince to pursue the endeavor now.

Deleted member 29342

I had problems with 3 dealers when trying to order my JLUR. Finally I found one that wanted to work with me and they got the deal at the end. Keep trying my friend.

Robertrinaustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18` JLUSS, Outback
That's why my first rule of car shopping is never go to the dealer until we have agreed on price unless it`s just to test drive. No need to waste my time. Not every dealer will do this, but there are plenty that will. We've done it this way for the last 10 years and it's so much easier and less aggravating.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
That's actually what occurred. They gave me a written offer just a tad above mine, so we ought to find an agreement. But then they just dismissed it when we met. Not too much of a time loss (1hr total), but yeah i'd have prefered a simple no to avoid the BS experience.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are slot of crappy dealers like that. Happened to me a bunch of times. Now I go just through email and when ready I have them send me the build sheet with all numbers on it. I just ordered mine this way. Never even stepped into dealership. I hate how they play the we never said that card.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This can't happen in Canada. We are told Canadians are the friendliest, most honest people in the world.
I haven't had a bad sales experience with a car sales department for several decades using both in person and internet options. Some tried putting in the "extra" options but that is common in car sales. Customers need to be educated and watch for it. There was a car dealer in town long ago that were known as crooks including leaving you in a room to "go take your offer to the sales manager for approval" while they listened to you talking about it to see if you would go higher. The owners were convicted for fraud and other violations and ended up in prison.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
That's actually what occurred. They gave me a written offer just a tad above mine, so we ought to find an agreement. But then they just dismissed it when we met. Not too much of a time loss (1hr total), but yeah i'd have prefered a simple no to avoid the BS experience.
Many dealers say they will match any written offer. Email a few dealers and ask them if they will match a written offer on the exact same Jeep, without disclosing your current written offer. Hopefully, that will provide you with a small selection of dealers who have agreed to match.

I simply took the best written (email) offer I'd received and presented it to a nearby dealer and they beat that amount by a small margin.

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Aye, hopefully they're not all that despicable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Rest your eyes, I am one who has little accent in english...although i probably make sentences that are oddly twisted.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Do you have a copy of the Canada Order Guide from the resources section? I walked into a Montreal dealership with that in hand and knowing exactly what I wanted and got cost +$1K. When I compared that to what people south of the border were getting, it comes out to 12.33% below invoice (before taxes). My loaded JLUR, hardtop, no colour-matching was $56,905 +tx. I'll share the spreadsheet with you if you like.

One thing about the Order Guide - US MSRP and DLRP are NOT the same as in Canada. US DLRP == CA MSRP and CA DLRP is actual dealer cost. Also, dealer ordering must go through FCA Canada in Mississauga, so your dealer has no access directly to the factory like some US dealerships do in terms of order details and status...

Good luck! I love my Wrangler. Her name is Jill. :jk:

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
I'll re-make that build and check with the files. Interesting price you got. My build is quite similar it seems. Spreadsheet would be appreciated.

P.S. that being said, in the meanwhile i booked a test on a 4runner trd off road lol. It's actually not bad at all, but the ground clearance is quite low for my needs. My wife hated it before the test, but she was surprised and is now rather keen on the idea. Some discussions ahead :)

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Do you have a copy of the Canada Order Guide from the resources section? I walked into a Montreal dealership with that in hand and knowing exactly what I wanted and got cost +$1K. When I compared that to what people south of the border were getting, it comes out to 12.33% below invoice (before taxes). My loaded JLUR, hardtop, no colour-matching was $56,905 +tx. I'll share the spreadsheet with you if you like.

One thing about the Order Guide - US MSRP and DLRP are NOT the same as in Canada. US DLRP == CA MSRP and CA DLRP is actual dealer cost. Also, dealer ordering must go through FCA Canada in Mississauga, so your dealer has no access directly to the factory like some US dealerships do in terms of order details and status...

Good luck! I love my Wrangler. Her name is Jill. :jk:

Thats exactly what I did in Ottawa,Ontario as well. Used the price sheet, built it the way I wanted, sent to dealer and they sold it to me at cost plus a 500 dollar fee. I was very happy and they seemed happy to do it. As for buying where you service, I wouldn't worry about that. The sales and service are two different departments. The dealer where I get my service done is by far the worst mannered, bait and switch type, ill prepared, untruthful dealers I have ever dealt with and I have bought a lot of vehicles. Their service department is excellent though and parts will sell me anything at cost and I have never bought a vehicle there, go figure.
Sponsored