Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I got $1500 for the takeoffs without wheels. Gears alone would have been $2700 here from local driveline shop. I would have lost money not ordering it and had more inconvenience. I absolutely would have regeared though and you’re right for most the 3.73’s are fine. In my use case I basically come out slightly ahead, have less inconvenience etc.
XR was a no brainer for me. Have had two in last year (long story). Easily sold wheels and tires and take off suspension for 3000.00. Had people standing in line to buy them. So I got 4.56 gears and a few other things with my factory warranty for a grand. Hard deal to beat.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
XR was a no brainer for me. Have had two in last year (long story). Easily sold wheels and tires and take off suspension for 3000.00. Had people standing in line to buy them. So I got 4.56 gears and a few other things with my factory warranty for a grand. Hard deal to beat.
Right on! Even better.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
I wouldn’t order a 392 without XR for me. The stance and wheels alone is worth 4K in my eyes. Let alone the gearing.
I am past the stage of doing really in-depth mods anymore, don’t have the time. 4K to keep the warranty and not have to loose any of my time is worth it. For those that are going to mod to high heaven yes I don’t see the need to get it.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Absolutely agree. I am considering the 392 but won’t order one without the XR package. I have a 2020 Recon…I added a 2” lift, 315/70s, and wheel spacers….stuff I would need to do with an XR package….plus I would have better gearing.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
If you aren’t crawling it the stock gears will be fine and are actually stronger than the higher ratio (smaller teeth). The 392 already comes with Bead lock capable wheels. It sounds like the tires will be replaced with 37s. If not, you can get a set of 35s for a lot less than $4K that comes with a tire warranty. I realize that to each his/her own but I scratch my head when people order the XR with the 392.
I get what you are saying when u say you scratch your head when people order a the XR with the 392, as you said to each their own. I ordered mine that way just for the goodies. Tires, gears, fender flares, tail g8 reinforcement etc. When u add it up its not a horrible deal. When I added just tires alone to my 4XE with the rear light relocation and the tail g8 reinforcement, it was pretty spendy just for that stuff. I put the factory flares on as well.

Mine will rarely go off road. But I wanted it all done with a factory warranty. The 4.56 gears I wanted for pulling my small trailer and having more low end get up and go from a stop. But I also think they will be more desirable down the road when they are done, and from what I was told they sound like they are. If I am wrong thats ok. I just have a feeling the build quotas have been met and it's time to move on. The factory XR392 just seems like it will be the one many will want. I flip cars sometimes so thats important to me.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
When I added just tires alone to my 4XE with the rear light relocation and the tail g8 reinforcement, it was pretty spendy just for that stuff. I put the factory flares on as well.
FYI, the stock tire carrier brake light is adjustable for 35” tires. The weakest parts of the tailgate are the hinges which the Mopar support doesn’t reinforce. The fender flares were a last minute bandaid that the engineering department came up with to make the wider wheel D.O.T. compliant…with the thought that most people would take them off once they took ownership of the Jeep.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
FYI, the stock tire carrier brake light is adjustable for 35” tires. The weakest parts of the tailgate are the hinges which the Mopar support doesn’t reinforce. The fender flares were a last minute bandaid that the engineering department came up with to make the wider wheel D.O.T. compliant…with the thought that most people would take them off once they took ownership of the Jeep.
I don't want to argue what I think are valid points for me. But I should have been more clear, I went with the center brake light mount instead. Since it is not crowded at the top of the tire with the 35s and it's actually easier noticed. But for the other things, there is not going to be an issue with the tail gate reinforcement as I stated my driving would be. The fender flares do work for me. It's pretty evident from the spray thats not now hitting the side of the jeep, along with stopping some rocks and gravel. Factory warranty, and future resale!

Last edited:

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to argue what I think are valid points for me. But I should have been more clear, I went with the center brake light mount instead. Since it is not crowded at the top of the tire with the 35s and it's actually easier noticed. But for the other things, there is not going to be an issue with the tail gate reinforcement as I stated my driving would be. The fender flares do work for me. It's pretty evident from the spray thats not now hitting the side of the jeep, along with stopping some rocks and gravel. Bang for the buck, factory warranty, and future resale.
To be honest the XR package was simply a marketing ploy to get better numbers than the Bronco. The 35s gave the Wrangler better approach, break-over, and departure numbers and the new axle ratio gave it a better crawl ratio. It makes sense on the Willys package because the Willys doesn’t come with high fenders, lift, and gearing sufficient for 35s and comes stock with a pretty weak front axle. Because of that it is a fantastic deal for the Willys. The stock Rubicon and 392 already have everything needed to run 35s (high fenders, lift, sufficient axle ratio, strong front axle, and adjustable tire carrier). The XR with the Rubicon does give the beadlock capable wheels but when you look at the price of the rings to make them true bead locks and considering the weight and offset, a person is much better off with aftermarket bead locks. With the stock 392 it already comes with everything needed for 35s and the bead lock capable wheels. The only real difference is the numerically higher gear ratio which with 35s isn’t a noticeable difference but is a much smaller ring gear tooth which can break sooo much easier with that much HP and torque. If a Rubicon and/or 392 XR owner decides to go to 37s, almost everything in the XR package will be replaced anyway. The $4K addition for the package also makes the sales tax, registration, and insurance higher vs just buying a stock Rubicon and/or 392 and driving to the tire shop for a set of 35s. That is why I scratch my head.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My plan is to run 37s also so it would be nice to have 4.88 from factory and I could sell the 35s for a little to offset the cost. I dont want to drop money into re-gearing if I dont have to aftermarket
If you would prefer 37’s and 4.88’s a non XR would be much Cheaper and Smarter! I have a pre XR, got 4.56’s with isotropic finish upgrade, 35/12.50’s (Toyo AT3) with a $100 per trade in on 14 month old KO2’s, and Teraflex spare relocation for about the price of the XR package , 4.88’s and 37’s would have only been a few bucks more for the 37’s. Granted, no 8”wheel instead of 7.5” for the same price, but if I upgrade it Won’t Be Just To 8”. Every day you wait the odds on never getting one increase. It’s not worth the gamble when upgrading a 392 to XR ( or more gears and tires) is No Big Deal. Been there—done it. 🤔😊 Flare extensions are inexpensive if you want them, I don’t like the back ones and front only wouldn’t work.

Last edited:

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
To be honest the XR package was simply a marketing ploy to get better numbers than the Bronco. The 35s gave the Wrangler better approach, break-over, and departure numbers and the new axle ratio gave it a better crawl ratio. It makes sense on the Willys package because the Willys doesn’t come with high fenders, lift, and gearing sufficient for 35s and comes stock with a pretty weak front axle. Because of that it is a fantastic deal for the Willys. The stock Rubicon and 392 already have everything needed to run 35s (high fenders, lift, sufficient axle ratio, strong front axle, and adjustable tire carrier). The XR with the Rubicon does give the beadlock capable wheels but when you look at the price of the rings to make them true bead locks and considering the weight and offset, a person is much better off with aftermarket bead locks. With the stock 392 it already comes with everything needed for 35s and the bead lock capable wheels. The only real difference is the numerically higher gear ratio which with 35s isn’t a noticeable difference but is a much smaller ring gear tooth which can break sooo much easier with that much HP and torque. If a Rubicon and/or 392 XR owner decides to go to 37s, almost everything in the XR package will be replaced anyway. The $4K addition for the package also makes the sales tax, registration, and insurance higher vs just buying a stock Rubicon and/or 392 and driving to the tire shop for a set of 35s. That is why I scratch my head.
People like different things for different reasons I reckon. Lots of things are marketing ploys between companies for sure. The boat bumper Broncs are still in the dust trying to keep up with the 392s :) Ill take the marketing for that alone lol Sales tax etc on the 4k isn't much if you can sell it for 10 or 20 over. I'll take my chances and enjoy something exclusive to me.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People like different things for different reasons I reckon. Lots of things are marketing ploys between companies for sure. The boat bumper Broncs are still in the dust trying to keep up with the 392s :) Ill take the marketing for that alone lol Sales tax etc on the 4k isn't much if you can sell it for 10 or 20 over. I'll take my chances and enjoy something exclusive to me.
Touché. If you bought it however just to flip it for $10-20K more, do it before the twin-turbo inline-six engine comes out. Less weight, more HP, and better mpg than the 392.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Touché. If you bought it however just to flip it for $10-20K more, do it before the twin-turbo inline-six engine comes out. Less weight, more HP, and better mpg than the 392.
There are a lot of V8 rumble fans still alive. I am gaming on those guy and gals. I would take the killer sounding slower and more hungry dinosaur 7 days a week over an inline even it were twin turbo. Collectibility man lol. But as you said. To each their own. I just hope whatever they put out is faster than what Broncs tried. Now for some speed rated tires and limiter removed :) I would love to do 180 in a Jeep. Well maybe not

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
There are a lot of V8 rumble fans still alive. I am gaming on those guy and gals. I would take the killer sounding slower and more hungry dinosaur 7 days a week over an inline even it were twin turbo. Collectibility man lol. But as you said. To each their own. I just hope whatever they put out is faster than what Broncs tried. Now for some speed rated tires and limiter removed :) I would love to do 180 in a Jeep. Well maybe not
There are always ways, I raised my speed limiter 5 mph— no recalibrate with 35’s, faster? recalibrate to 31’s, shh, I won’t tell. T-6, OK, just might be the incentive for a Whipple, mid 600’s hp even at low boost without replacing the sh*tty pistons. ( 2 generations advanced since I did the research for my 15 GC so maybe a little more) I’ll take a Blown Hemi over a turbo 6, Thank You!!! :like::rock: