First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Ok could use some help here. I cant seem to find the root cause of my DW. Ive done everything i can think of and I'm hoping someone has a suggestion or something I'm missing here.

2018 JLUR with 25,000 miles.
Jeep does go Offroad, greens, blues and the occasional black.
35x12.5x18 KO2

Suspension Parts

2" Mopar Lift
Yeti Adjustable Track Bar
Yeti Drag link with Griffin XD Attenuator
Yeti XD Tie rod for Rubicon
Yeti Sway Bar links
Yeti HD-N Steering stabilizer
Yeti stabilizer relocation bracket
Yeti Steering stabilizer damper bracket
Teraflex Alpine Adjustable front lower control arms
Teraflex rear trackbar bracket kit

New steering gearbox installed from the latest TSB. (DW happened before the install and after)
Greased all suspension parts (i do that normally anyways)
Retorqued all suspension parts
bought the upgraded polyurethane bushing kit from Yeti for the trackbar (haven't installed yet)
loosened then retorqued all wheels to 115 foot lbs (normally i do 100 but went halfway between my normal and factory torque spec)
Caster is a little over 6
Tire pressure is set to 34 (even tire contact on a 10" wide rim)

There does seem to be some "play" in the drag link. I can tilt the drag link end on the pitman arm side, up and down a decent amount where i can see the Attenuator boot rotate along with the movement.

I'm planning on getting another alignment done just to see if anything is "off" anywhere. Probably try increasing caster closer to or at 7.

Hoping someone here has some suggestions or hell, even a nice fix!
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
All my past death wobble issues have been tracked down to the tires. Rotate and balance is a good start or even just do a rotation to see if anything changes.

Losing wheel weights while wheeling is not an uncommon thing. If you’ve got the means to rotate at the house, start there. If you’ve got free rotate and balance with your tire purchase, it would be a good time to use it. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
All my past death wobble issues have been tracked down to the tires. Rotate and balance is a good start or even just do a rotation to see if anything changes.

Losing wheel weights while wheeling is not an uncommon thing. If you’ve got the means to rotate at the house, start there. If you’ve got free rotate and balance with your tire purchase, it would be a good time to use it. Hope that helps.
ive got no shimmy from loss of wheel weights but ill give rotating them a shot this weekend. One thing i haven't done yet. :)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Install that bushing. I had one end of a trackbar from a very good manufacturer go bad after just about 1000 miles, spent a fortune chasing the DW only to have it go away after swapping track bar again as a desperation move.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I am starting to see more and more folks with DW even with HD steering upgrades. makes me wonder about the stock ball-joints and the Unit bearings. Out of spec generic wheel offsets cause a lot of stress on those parts I've read.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Install that bushing. I had one end of a trackbar from a very good manufacturer go bad after just about 1000 miles, spent a fortune chasing the DW only to have it go away after swapping track bar again as a desperation move.
Thats along the lines i was thinking too. I figured for $30 to upgrade bushings why not. Just need to find someone with a press to do the job.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the yeti T.B. also. Please post about your replacement bushings when done. They are a wear item and mine won't last forever. I have at least 35,000 on mine. I've flat towed my JL a lot but never kept track of tow miles which is at least 30,000 behind my RV and 13+ showing on my JLR's O.D. No DW, yet.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This has been my life for last 9 months. I’ve tried everything you have with different stabilizer. I’ve tried several track bars. 4 to date. Everyone keeps telling me it has to be ball joints but I feel that’s just a several hundred dollar guess. Please let me know what you find. Thanks!

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember your thread. The reason for the recomendations you are getting is that's about the last place for you to look. You have just about gone thru the proccess of elementation. You've checked off the T.B., several times. You said yourself you've checked everything including the wheel bearings. Rent or buy the tool for ball joints and move on. DW isn't designed/engineered into a vehicle and is cause by a worn wear item. You blame Wrangler but I think it's your generic wheels that caused premature stress and wear.
Maybe the ball joints but the wheels were just installed 2000 miles ago only an effort to increase tread pattern, so I don’t think the “cause”. Still sounds like OP has pretty similar issue. Maybe the bad ball joints is more common.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Humm :whatsgoingon: I remember you saying in your DW thread, 37" tires and wheels came on your rig when you purchased it new from the dealer and you had no DW for the first 12,000 miles.
Tires came with the vehicle. They were mounted on factory rubi wheels until recently.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
dealer installed 37's on stock Rubicon wheels, Weird !
That would be the first I’ve seen a dealer do that. Typically they would not miss an opportunity to put a ridiculous mark up on a set of wheels.

I hope both you guys get it figured out.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That would be the first I’ve seen a dealer do that. Typically they would not miss an opportunity to put a ridiculous mark up on a set of wheels.

I hope both you guys get it figured out.
I agree and believe I've got it figured out, haha.
Sponsored