Can't find the current speaker specs

CnBtwo02

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I see a lot of details on size, 4", of speaker but no other specs.
I am looking for the wattage specs for the current base non-upgraded speaker in my JL UNL.
Anybody have the specs so I don't have to pull the cover off to check?
I want to upgrade, just weighing what I am really upgrading.
Thanks
Sponsored

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
I am looking for the wattage specs for the current base non-upgraded speaker in my JL UNL.

.....I want to upgrade, just weighing what I am really upgrading.
I don't know the answer but have to ask, why do you think it matters? I'm not trying to be a Richard, It's just that selecting new speakers based on the old ones power ratings doesn't do much for you. If the existing speakers even have a rating printed on them, it's probably pretty low and most aftermarket speakers will be rated higher by comparison.

If you have the bone-stock JLU radio, the power output at useable levels isn't very much. Usually they land somewhere in that 10-20 watt range per channel. (The Alpine system is usually higher but uses an external amp). So your best bet for replacement is something that:

1. Fits
2. You like the sound of them
3. Has a higher efficiency rating ( as close to mid 90s or higher as you can get)

I also have a JLU with the stock system and the speakers aren't so bad for stock. I also have a JK where the entire system was replaced. That stock system was terrible, but I knew when I bought it, it would be replaced anyway.

OP
OP
CnBtwo02

CnBtwo02

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I don't know the answer but have to ask, why do you think it matters? I'm not trying to be a Richard, It's just that selecting new speakers based on the old ones power ratings doesn't do much for you. If the existing speakers even have a rating printed on them, it's probably pretty low and most aftermarket speakers will be rated higher by comparison.

If you have the bone-stock JLU radio, the power output at useable levels isn't very much. Usually they land somewhere in that 10-20 watt range per channel. (The Alpine system is usually higher but uses an external amp). So your best bet for replacement is something that:

1. Fits
2. You like the sound of them
3. Has a higher efficiency rating ( as close to mid 90s or higher as you can get)

I also have a JLU with the stock system and the speakers aren't so bad for stock. I also have a JK where the entire system was replaced. That stock system was terrible, but I knew when I bought it, it would be replaced anyway.
Good points.....I guess I should add that I am looking for louder (but still stay clear) with possible addition of an inline amp and sub....so I guess what I really need is to know if I'm getting the bang for the buck by upgrading to get more power or if the stock will already handle the inline amp upgrade with no real issue.

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Some people replace them with the kicker speakers that were offered in other models, for what seems like a reasonable price. I've read mixed reviews on the results.

OP
OP
CnBtwo02

CnBtwo02

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Some people replace them with the kicker speakers that were offered in other models, for what seems like a reasonable price. I've read mixed reviews on the results.
Thanks, I'll look into those....want to make sure if I upgrade these first that I don't kill the sound so bad that it forces me into the phase II upgrade before I am ready.

Sponsored

ard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
anyone know if the stock speakers 2ohm or 4ohm?

also most people seem to just throw around 4" as the size but actually the front dash corners are 3.5" (per light bright's install video with jl doing the install)

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Good points.....I guess I should add that I am looking for louder (but still stay clear) with possible addition of an inline amp and sub....so I guess what I really need is to know if I'm getting the bang for the buck by upgrading to get more power or if the stock will already handle the inline amp upgrade with no real issue.
So if you want louder then you either need gobs more power (a quality external amp), or much more efficient speakers, or a combo of both.

The problem is that its probably impossible to tell how efficient your current speakers are so they could be very efficient to begin with. But 3-4 inch speakers are kind of a lost cause anyway because they just can't physically move enough air and don't do bass. I think if I were in your situation I'd first try a powered sub (or 2) to supplement the existing system. This should fill in the lower octaves and might be enough for you.

Still want more? Then you could add a 4 channel amp and replace the existing speakers. But I wouldn't replace speakers first if your goal is louder. New speakers will sound different but probably won't have much more output until youre ready to put a real amp on them.

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
Thanks, I'll look into those....want to make sure if I upgrade these first that I don't kill the sound so bad that it forces me into the phase II upgrade before I am ready.
Add an amp! I added a lc-4.800 amp to my base speakers this last monday and boy are they loud. It's almost ear peircing! I'm just using them temporarily but they sound great! I'd advise to not turn up the bass though.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Add an amp! I added a lc-4.800 amp to my base speakers this last monday and boy are they loud. It's almost ear peircing! I'm just using them temporarily but they sound great! I'd advise to not turn up the bass though.
So you added an amp to the stock speakers? Whats the power output of your new amp? I'm looking at adding a 5ch amp, something around 40-50W for the speakers and 300 or so to a 10" downfiring sub in the rear. My thinking is since the 8 speakers are wired in parallel that power will be half to each individual speaker but still cleaner than the weak headunit amp so they should handle it ok. Plus I'm positive the 4" speakers are the same between the non-alpine and alpine systems so those can handle more power. Thoughts...???

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you added an amp to the stock speakers? Whats the power output of your new amp? I'm looking at adding a 5ch amp, something around 40-50W for the speakers and 300 or so to a 10" downfiring sub in the rear. My thinking is since the 8 speakers are wired in parallel that power will be half to each individual speaker but still cleaner than the weak headunit amp so they should handle it ok. Plus I'm positive the 4" speakers are the same between the non-alpine and alpine systems so those can handle more power. Thoughts...???
its a 4 channel amp 800w ( audiocontrol lc4.800 ).
  • 2 Ohm: 200 watts x 4 chan.
  • 4 Ohm: 125 watts x 4 chan.
stock speakers are doing fine so far. sounds much better but its only a temp set up for now till i get new speaker pods and soundbar adapters.
for my subwoofer set up. i have a single jl audio stealthbox on the passenger side and a JL Audio XD300/1v2 powering it.

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its a 4 channel amp 800w ( audiocontrol lc4.800 ).
  • 2 Ohm: 200 watts x 4 chan.
  • 4 Ohm: 125 watts x 4 chan.
stock speakers are doing fine so far. sounds much better but its only a temp set up for now till i get new speaker pods and soundbar adapters.
for my subwoofer set up. i have a single jl audio stealthbox on the passenger side and a JL Audio XD300/1v2 powering it.
Ok thanks for the info, I'm just going with a 5ch amp, 60 RMS x4 and 350 to sub. Id love the stealth box but am not paying $750 just for the enclosure! If you're pumping that much power to the stockers and they are doing ok then Im sure my route should work well. Im assuming your crossed out the lows to the stock speakers and are sending that to the sub? What did you crossover at? I wanna cross over the stock speakers above 100 or 120, the less low notes they need to try (and fail) to handle the better...just don't wanna loose midrange...

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i only went with the enclosure cause of my paypal credit 0% apr for 6mo's and sake of room lol. im not sure what i had it set at. probably between 80-120. i played with it for a week to find a good setting. id recommend you to poly fill the soundbar and put foam tape between the soundbar and roll bar. also if you have a soft top id recommend foam tape under the rear brackets by the seat pull down thingamajig.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i only went with the enclosure cause of my paypal credit 0% apr for 6mo's and sake of room lol. im not sure what i had it set at. probably between 80-120. i played with it for a week to find a good setting. id recommend you to poly fill the soundbar and put foam tape between the soundbar and roll bar. also if you have a soft top id recommend foam tape under the rear brackets by the seat pull down thingamajig.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
anyone know if the stock speakers 2ohm or 4ohm?

also most people seem to just throw around 4" as the size but actually the front dash corners are 3.5" (per light bright's install video with jl doing the install)
I also wonder if the OEM speakers are 4ohm or possibly 8ohm. From what I can tell the 4ā€ OEM speakers, in the enclosures with ports, have a low pass crossover. The dash 3.5ā€ have a high pass crossover.
Iā€˜ll pull one of the dash speakers and find out. I was going to replace the dash speakers,using the stock amp, until this summer when I have time to replace everything.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also wonder if the OEM speakers are 4ohm or possibly 8ohm. From what I can tell the 4ā€ OEM speakers, in the enclosures with ports, have a low pass crossover. The dash 3.5ā€ have a high pass crossover.
Iā€˜ll pull one of the dash speakers and find out. I was going to replace the dash speakers,using the stock amp, until this summer when I have time to replace everything.
So you're saying the 4" speakers aren't even receiving the low frequencies, which they cant produce anyway? Probably a good thing, I'm hoping to cross them over at 100 or 120hz once I put in an external amp and sub
Sponsored