Can't decide what Color JL/JLU Plasti Dip the entire Jeep

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Check this out .... For $600-$800 (including spray equipment)you can plasti dip your entire Wrangler, get tired of that color in a couple years just peel it off and spay a now color. What is really cool about this is it is all DIY, Not only that the plasti dip will protect your factory paint. Even better scratches for the off-road can be easily repainted (Plasti Dipped), I know that plasti dip is popular with wheels and other small parts however with DIY entire rig might be a game changer on preserving the stock paint condition with a the ability to peal off and change up the color at home.

standard_resolution.jpg

original.jpg

Here is the Dip Process
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Pretty Cool! I'd go with Black! :)

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was at a Car meet over the weekend and saw two cars that were plasti dipped they looked great, both were DIY applications. When you consider the option of Wrapping at $5000+ or 3M/Xpel at $3-4,000 it makes this option very attractive. You must like flat or matte finishes though.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
That looks absolutely awful to me. I think I'll stick with factory paint, which has worked pretty well for around a century. Yes, it will get dings and scratches (some will call it "character" or "history" or "stories").

And if I do get tired of the color, I'll consider trading it in.

Sponsored

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
For those of us that like the black fenders and rear roof quarter panel to be black, this might be a good option. I bought a Moab, and of course all those items are body colored.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
"When your tired of it, just pull it off and do it again."

If it comes off that easy, I just don't see how it doesn't get scratches and peeling regularly. My son did his rims on his Blazer a few years back, and it seemed like every 3-4 months he was having to redo them because they would get scuffed or scratched or start peeling.

I just can't see it holding up on a daily driver.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That looks absolutely awful to me. I think I'll stick with factory paint, which has worked pretty well for around a century. Yes, it will get dings and scratches (some will call it "character" or "history" or "stories").

And if I do get tired of the color, I'll consider trading it in.
That is the easy way, and very expensive way, however for most that spend thousands of $$$ on mods, wheels and tires that has little or no trade in value, when you do trade in a scratched up rig, that would result in significant loss of investment.

This is not for everyone and is more for those that like the Satin/matte finish, want more than a cookie cutter stock jeep colors and would like to preserve their Jeep, the ability to repaint and change color for $500-$1000 (assuming you DIY) is just a great bonus.

Once you see it in person you may think twice.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
"When your tired of it, just pull it off and do it again."

If it comes off that easy, I just don't see how it doesn't get scratches and peeling regularly. My son did his rims on his Blazer a few years back, and it seemed like every 3-4 months he was having to redo them because they would get scuffed or scratched or start peeling.

I just can't see it holding up on a daily driver.
It is all about the prep bad prep poor results, not to mention the wheel plasti dip is done with aerosol cans not a airless sprayer... However like any soft coating it is vulnerable, however they do have a post paint hardening process as well as clear coats that add more protection.

I did my wheels on my Tesla-S more than 2 years ago still looking great. that is the upside yo can easily re-spray just that area yourself for just a few bucks, whereas if it was a wrap or clear bra you would have to take it to a professional to have it redone and those are very expensive.

I am going to give it a go next spring when it warms up

If you do not like it just peel it off

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I could appreciate where some of us could like the look, let alone the protection it provides.

What concerns me is down the road, when the effects of weather and age start compromising the look --and such wear never seems to happen evenly, I only wish it did--do you then peel it off, or is such a think as repairing affected sections even doable?

Sponsored

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Having done this to a golf cart (low risk application), it got the looks I was after, but I would NEVER use it on a vehicle.

A couple points.
1. Gasoline melts it right off. That dribble from the gas pump that hits the side of your car occasionally.. That will be a mess.
2. It's a PIA to clean. You can't just wipe it with a rag. I think folks have figured out products to wash and clean it with but typical car cleaning stuff I have layout around doesn't work.
3. It does easily damage, After a couple years of utility use of my cart it has scrapes and "tears" in places. It's fine for the purpose I used it for but I wouldn't put it on my newish $50K vehicle. On a side note it was a great cheap DIY option to refresh a tired old golf cart that the equivalent paint job would have cost $$$

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
What happened to the white plasti-dip Wrangler that was original picture in the first post? The newer black looks better, more professionally done. I'm guessing most home solutions are going to be closer to the original white picture.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Thats good if all you use your jeep for is to drive your kids to daycare and back. :) Like others have said, gasoline or any other chemicals would ruin that faster than you can open the packaging lol

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thats good if all you use your jeep for is to drive your kids to daycare and back. :) Like others have said, gasoline or any other chemicals would ruin that faster than you can open the packaging lol
This is not armor, Gas can also ruin skins and clear bra materials. it is an option like skins or Clear Bras at quadruple or more the cost for similar protection or aesthetics... Also remember most jeeps are mall crawlers, however it also has its benefits to protect your paint off road.
Sponsored