Sponsored

Cannot get the rear diff pinion nut off for the life of me.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Anyone have trouble getting the pinion nut off the rear diff on a JLUR? The one at the t-case came off super easy, but I'll be damned if I can get the other one off. I'm doing a rear DS swap on the ground, so I have a very limited range of movement, but I've secured the yoke and even with a breaker bar and a pipe, it won't budge loose. I've tried some of the more popular creative methods, too, such as using a pump jack to push the breaker bar up and all I'm accomplishing is shaving the metal off the nut itself.

I've done this before on previous Jeeps and it's never been a problem, but I feel my failed efforts are only creating more problems. I shouldn't be damaging the nut and yet here it is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cannot get the rear diff pinion nut off for the life of me. PXL_20210516_200329722

I really don't want to have to take it to a shop, but I'm running out of ideas.
Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
My M18 Milwaukee impact took mine off. But I had the carrier out to do a gear swap (so was not abusing the gears in mesh).

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, my impact buzzed the one off the t-case easily, but it ain't budging on the diff.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sorry to hear of your problems....I have had a hard time with some bolts on my JLUR (e.g. LCA bolts) that seem to have come from the factory torqued way/way tighter than spec.

I don't if you have tried, but I'd heat it up with a heat gun and try to alternate putting a bit of force into the tightening direction alternating with a lot of force in the loosening direction.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
I've found that Kroil oil applied and let set overnight often works pretty well.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Man at this point maybe cut a slot in it with a dremel, crack it with a chisel? The nut is FUBAR now so destructive removal may be the only option.
Gregj

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think I can safely fit a Dremel blade in there without damaging the pinion itself.

I've given up. I'm gonna take it to a shop nearby tomorrow and see if they can't buzz it off with better tools than I have. I just don't have enough range of motion with it on the ground to put a hefty amount of torque to it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the nut challenged some far superior shop tools than what I have, but eventually it came off. The yoke was dry and a little rusty, but the pinion itself looks okay and the nut threads were in decent shape, too. I cleaned it up, put some RTV and Loctite on it, and reused it on the new yoke. The rest of the DS installation went nice and smooth.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A pinion nut should be one time use.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Pinion nut and crush sleeve are both one time use.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I appreciate chiming in two years later fellas, but my reused one-time pinion nut is holding up just fine.
Oh, by the way. The pinion nut shouldn't be reused. Just in case no one told you...

Jeep Wrangler JL Cannot get the rear diff pinion nut off for the life of me. 1000004888
Sponsored