Sponsored

Cancelling build order

Xavier613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Hey y'all, looking for some insight and maybe some similar experiences.

Placed an order with my local dealer at sticker before I found a post on here about under invoice pricing. I put a 2k deposit on the build and ended up getting a JLU for my fiance a few days later. The 2k I put for a deposit on my order was used towards her down payment.

I'm cancelling the order for my Jeep with them as they won't discuss the sale price at all even providing the under invoice quote I received. Am I correct in thinking that they can't demand I pay another 2k at this point? I ask because that is what they are attempting to make me do.
Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
So the first $2k was for your order or hers?

Does your order have a VIN?

If they applied $2k in credit to hers it seems like that money is settled. Would be nuts to pay them more for an order you're cancelling.

$2k for an order, without discussing pricing? Shady.

Recommended dealers on here will take an order for $500 or $1000 down, and you'll have the (below invoice) price worked up and clear on a purchase order before the order is placed.

OP
OP

Xavier613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
So the first $2k was for your order or hers?

Does your order have a VIN?

If they applied $2k in credit to hers it seems like that money is settled. Would be nuts to pay them more for an order you're cancelling.

$2k for an order, without discussing pricing? Shady.

Recommended dealers on here will take an order for $500 or $1000 down, and you'll have the (below invoice) price worked up and clear on a purchase order before the order is placed.
Same day, put 2k on my build order and 2k on reserving an in transit for her. When hers came in, all 4k plus trade in went to her vehicle.

That build does have a vin. No pricing was discussed, just picked the options off the Jeep website with the salesman.

And I've already happily placed an order 6% under invoice from Tom in Horsham PA with no deposit needed.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
If you & fiance got the JLU with your $2k repurposed for that, then don't drop another $2k for an order you canceled or will cancel. Never put down a non-refundable deposit unless you confirm pricing and refundability in writing.

OP
OP

Xavier613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
If you & fiance got the JLU with your $2k repurposed for that, then don't drop another $2k for an order you canceled or will cancel. Never put down a non-refundable deposit unless you confirm pricing and refundability in writing.
No paperwork was signed and there was no stipulation as to whether or not the deposit was non-refundable. Didn't really care at the time which is obviously stupid.

Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
No paperwork was signed and there was no indication whether or not the deposit was refundable. Didn't really care at the time which is obviously stupid.
I think you are fine. Any dealership worth their salt wouldn't have repurposed your deposit on a build towards another purchase. If there's no paperwork, you can get out of it worry-free.

If they press you, ask them to send you a written quote for the build, upon receiving of which you can simply reject the deal.

OP
OP

Xavier613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I think you are fine. Any dealership worth their salt wouldn't have repurposed your deposit on a build towards another purchase. If there's no paperwork, you can get out of it worry-free.
I should have definitely done better research on them that's for sure. Not so good reviews from a lot of folks. She needed a new vehicle as hers had some $$$ repairs coming up and they were the only ones with wranglers coming in unfortunately.

Me, I'm just impulsive and got caught up in ooo shiny and new 😅

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Same day, put 2k on my build order and 2k on reserving an in transit for her. When hers came in, all 4k plus trade in went to her vehicle.

That build does have a vin. No pricing was discussed, just picked the options off the Jeep website with the salesman.

And I've already happily placed an order 6% under invoice from Tom in Horsham PA with no deposit needed.
I was surprised too when they didn’t need a deposit.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Hey y'all, looking for some insight and maybe some similar experiences.

Placed an order with my local dealer at sticker before I found a post on here about under invoice pricing. I put a 2k deposit on the build and ended up getting a JLU for my fiance a few days later. The 2k I put for a deposit on my order was used towards her down payment.

I'm cancelling the order for my Jeep with them as they won't discuss the sale price at all even providing the under invoice quote I received. Am I correct in thinking that they can't demand I pay another 2k at this point? I ask because that is what they are attempting to make me do.
My local dealer indicated in writing that they need a $1000 non-refundable deposit to place a special order. I confirmed with them that the money would be applied to the downpayment but I would forfeit the money should I cancel. Another dealer about 100 miles away didn't even mention a deposit to place an order. Both dealers wanted MSRP and stopped answering emails as soon as I told them I had a supplier discount with FCA.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
You cant go wrong with Chapman CJDR of Horsham,PA

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
If there was no paperwork signed you owe them nothing.
Sponsored