Sponsored

Cancelled my order

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler JKU on 41.5" Pitbull rockers. A few mods
After spending a night on Ram Ecodiesel; forums ….. I cancelled my order this morning and back to looking at a Pentastar instead. It might not be the greatest motor but seems like it will last a lot longer then the diesel. But wow all the buy backs, failures, 30 plus days in the shop. Wow
No way I can justify dropping 40K in mods in a Jeep with a very questionable diesel motor. Sucks as I love diesels and had been anxiously waiting for one. If its a lemon never get my mod money back from FCA so I think probably best to wait and see.
If I was just going to drive it stock probably be ok to lease and they take the risk not me. But I saw a lot of people very upside down in their Rams and GC as the diesel is selling for less than the gas ones used they say.
Sponsored

jessieb30

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
After spending a night on Ram Ecodiesel; forums ….. I cancelled my order this morning and back to looking at a Pentastar instead. It might not be the greatest motor but seems like it will last a lot longer then the diesel. But wow all the buy backs, failures, 30 plus days in the shop. Wow
No way I can justify dropping 40K in mods in a Jeep with a very questionable diesel motor. Sucks as I love diesels and had been anxiously waiting for one. If its a lemon never get my mod money back from FCA so I think probably best to wait and see.
If I was just going to drive it stock probably be ok to lease and they take the risk not me. But I saw a lot of people very upside down in their Rams and GC as the diesel is selling for less than the gas ones used they say.
I think 'new' anything in vehicles is a bit of a coin-toss, and it might be worth waiting a bit longer to see if these issues get ironed out. I basically test drove the JL in early 2018 and waited til 2020 to buy one. For exactly the same pit of my stomach "ugh" feeling.

OP
OP

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you.
I am probably going to stick with my JKU, spend some money on a motor swap instead of a new Jeep with a questionable motor.
Ram Eco diesel forums are scary place

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you.
I am probably going to stick with my JKU, spend some money on a motor swap instead of a new Jeep with a questionable motor.
Ram Eco diesel forums are scary place
Why not upgrade to the JL? the 8 speed transimssion is incredibly smooth and ride and handling are significantly better with the JL. Also keep in mind that the platform wont be changed for another 8 years. Jumping on the JL platform may be a worthy idea.

OP
OP

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not upgrade to the JL? the 8 speed transimssion is incredibly smooth and ride and handling are significantly better with the JL. Also keep in mind that the platform wont be changed for another 8 years. Jumping on the JL platform may be a worthy idea.
Its a possibility. I want to run 40" tires and am going to try speak to some who have done it with the 8 speed tranny. Lots say it makes it like a totally different motor.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Its a possibility. I want to run 40" tires and am going to try speak to some who have done it with the 8 speed tranny. Lots say it makes it like a totally different motor.
For the record, the Ram forums are a shitshow because of gen1 and gen2 engine problems which are 80% different than the gen3 we’re dealing with here. Not saying the gen3 is going to be a miracle upgrade in reliability, but the jury is still out. Having spent a lot of miles in JKs, JKUs, and JLUR 3.6, I can assure you the JL platform is an upgrade to the JK in every objective and subjective metric you can come up with. If the 3.0 scares you, run a 3.6 JLU and you’ll be happy you did.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
From all my research on the ecodiesel engine (including the 3rd generation) there are many design flaws that will end up costing the consumers thousands even if they make it past 100K miles. Too many issues with EGR and DEF systems getting clogged up. Sounds like maintenance nightmare to me.
I was going to order a diesel JLUR at 7% below invoice, but changed my mind. Those who have extra free money and lots of time on their hands can go for it. I think FCA will be smart to drop this engine option replace it with a Cummins engine.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
From all my research on the ecodiesel engine (including the 3rd generation) there are many design flaws that will end up costing the consumers thousands even if they make it past 100K miles. Too many issues with EGR and DEF systems getting clogged up. Sounds like maintenance nightmare to me.
I was going to order a diesel JLUR at 7% below invoice, but changed my mind. Those who have extra free money and lots of time on their hands can go for it. I think FCA will be smart to drop this engine option replace it with a Cummins engine.
I wouldnt mind a cummins option, but I think that may be a pipe dream

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I think FCA will be smart to drop this engine option replace it with a Cummins engine.
What exactly makes you think the Cummins engines don't have their challenges w/ egr systems?
I have 2 friends who both have had problems, one had it fixed the other deleted-

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm planning on buying a 2021 Diesel when the order banks open, so I've been watching for issues as well. Keep in mind, like everything else in life, negative opinions are broadcast much more often than positive ones. The challenge is filtering the vocal minority without tuning them out entirely. I've owned ten new Jeeps in the past 20 years, and have had very few problems, but according to the Jeep forums, I should have been overwhelmed with issues. For example, I've never had anything close to death wobble, yet if you read the forums, every Jeep does it.

Sponsored

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I am happy with my Ram 3500/Cummins and have had a diesel Ram since 1996. However, I think FCA needs another year to sort out the 3.0 liter VM. Meanwhile, I traded my 2017 Recon for a Gladiator 8 speed and was almost astonished at how responsive the 3.6 is with that tranny. I use the Ram for heavy towing, but wanted a backup tow vehicle and a new Jeep. I really like the Glad-Sport S-Max tow.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Not sure why thr penstar gets so much hate. I mean it's not the best engine in the world but there are plenty of 07 still running and even more running great with 200k+ miles on them. Hell there are even some still running with 400k.
But as someone that has dealt with diesel for over 10 years, I'm not a fan. The cost more to maintain and require more maintenance (IMO)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You might not have had them long enough to notice the problems. That's not a slam, just an observation that you are cycling through them quickly.
No offense taken. What I failed to mentioned is that some of the Jeeps are driven by wife/kids. So they stick around a little longer, but not usually much past warranty (which is consistent with your point).

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
How many times do you start a thread with “engines running great”. We’ve know this for years. But you are correct going with your gut, get the v6.
Sponsored