Canadian laws: tire poke outside of fender

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
A question for Canadians or those who know....

backstory: planning a drive from Denver to Alaska when this Covid thing is over. I heard the other day that Canada is “very strict” on tire poke and even with just “a little” 1) might Not let you cross the border into Canada or 2) might get tickets anywhere in Canada. The source here is, well, no expert and possibly not to be believed. I can’t seem to find anything with google on this either.

Question: Does anyone know, for certain, Canadian laws regarding tire poke and, most importantly, If they exist for passenger vehicles, how much are they enforced? Has anyone actually crossed the border with, say <2” of poke, driven into Canada and then on to alaska? Has any Canadian routinely driven a Jeep around Canada with tire poke (less than 2”)? Any law enforcement issues?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Another interested party. Heading from maine to Alaska summer of 2021. I Hope. Planned to do it this summer, but you know what happened!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Well, every Canadian Province -- just like every US State -- has its own set of regulations for modified motor vehicles. I live in Quebec, and (technically) the fenders must cover the wheels. However, this is not widely enforced, especially for out-of-province vehicles. I'm also restricted to 35" tires, but I can take the doors off. Out west in BC they can put bigger tires, but must drive with OEM doors (not even tubes are allowed). You can check out some BC YouTubers like Casey250, The Story 'Til Now or Epic Adventure Outfitters and see that their rigs are built up more than many (and they sometimes talk about BC road rules). Alberta is loaded with jacked-up pickups, so I don't think you'll find many restrictions there.

Two things you'll definitely need to know before you attempt to cross the border: (1) Mudflaps - make sure you have them and that they cover at least the rear tire for road spray. (2) Your Jeep must be CLEAN on the outside when you cross the border. I live in Montreal by have a place in Northern NY and I have to wash my Jeep everytime I cross the border. This is to prevent (reduce) cross contamination of soil from pesticides and parasites.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Well, every Canadian Province -- just like every US State -- has its own set of regulations for modified motor vehicles. I live in Quebec, and (technically) the fenders must cover the wheels. However, this is not widely enforced, especially for out-of-province vehicles. I'm also restricted to 35" tires, but I can take the doors off. Out west in BC they can put bigger tires, but must drive with OEM doors (not even tubes are allowed). You can check out some BC YouTubers like Casey250, The Story 'Til Now or Epic Adventure Outfitters and see that their rigs are built up more than many (and they sometimes talk about BC road rules). Alberta is loaded with jacked-up pickups, so I don't think you'll find many restrictions there.

Two things you'll definitely need to know before you attempt to cross the border: (1) Mudflaps - make sure you have them and that they cover at least the rear tire for road spray. (2) Your Jeep must be CLEAN on the outside when you cross the border. I live in Montreal by have a place in Northern NY and I have to wash my Jeep everytime I cross the border. This is to prevent (reduce) cross contamination of soil from pesticides and parasites.
Great info. Thank you.

mud flaps? I had not even considered that.

I guess that I am most focused on Alberta and BC........ more research needed.

ThePenguin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I live in Alberta. I wouldn't worry about the tires sticking out past the body at all. But I definitely would put on a set of removable mudflaps if your running 35's or bigger! If your tires extend past the body, then make sure your mudflaps cover the full width of the rear tires!
Customs will expect you Jeep to be clean, no clumps of mud or vegetation! And make sure your paperwork is in order.
Northern BC is almost as relaxed as Alberta, but southern BC not so much...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I live in Alberta. I wouldn't worry about the tires sticking out past the body at all. But I definitely would put on a set of removable mudflaps if your running 35's or bigger! If your tires extend past the body, then make sure your mudflaps cover the full width of the rear tires!
Customs will expect you Jeep to be clean, no clumps of mud or vegetation! And make sure your paperwork is in order.
Northern BC is almost as relaxed as Alberta, but southern BC not so much...
Mid flaps and dirt again! Wow. It never even crossed my mind!

thank you very much!

may I ask this: if there is no “poke” (stock tires completely inside the fenders), are mud flaps still needed? Said another way, do stock JLs in Canada all come with mud flaps from the dealer or is needing mud flaps only because of after-market tire poke?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
may I ask this: if there is no “poke” (stock tires completely inside the fenders), are mud flaps still needed? Said another way, do stock JLs in Canada all come with mud flaps from the dealer or is needing mud flaps only because of after-market tire poke?
No, a stock (or near-stock) Jeep will never get hassled by the authorities for those reasons unless you gave them a reason to question everything. Obey road rules, make sure your vehicle is road-worthy and everything is good.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
The real world data is always useful (like how much over the speed limit before the cops stop you) but would also recommend you look up the law itself. We have a similar law here in California and you’ll see that mud flaps or fenders or other devices must cover the width of the tire.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=27600

This is not a posting of the regulation but it is from the BC government and it implies that fender less vehicles are permitted if they have mud flaps:

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016TRAN0174-001204
Sponsored