Canadian build Jeep in US questions

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
So about a month ago we bought a Canadian built Jeep here in the US (Massachusetts), 2020 Wrangler Sahara with 12k miles. Carfax was clean and dealer made no mention (even if I noticed I wouldn't have known at the time possible repercussions), that the Jeep was a former Enterprise rental in Canada. I stumbled upon and since read a LOT about warranty could be gone. Things I've noticed..... My build sheet has a line item for "CAN/AM Warranty" (reading online this seems to indicate this Jeep either at build time, or upon import to US formally got approved by FCA for factory warranty to transfer from Canada to US). My dealer insists the Jeep is warranted (though I take their word with a grain of salt). Jeep customer service couldn't answer one way or the other and referred me to the dealership. Doing further Google'ing I found Mopar service bulletins regarding that Can/AM should be covered and that Canadian rental fleet vehicles that were at least 6 months in service and at least 15,000 km can have warranty transferred thus earning the Can/AM. I wish Jeep corporate could verify as in the end of the day I feel they'd have final say, but looks like at this point I have to hope/dream my dealer and some members on forums are correct on this Can/Am warranty. Wish I'd known about this at the time or purchase, could have avoided this altogether, but here I am. Luckily no issues at this time, but still doesn't sit well. Of note, my build sheet also has added 50 State Emissions, 110mph (not the Canadian 200kph) max speed, and physical speedo is mph (as are all digital settings). Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Call other fca dealer in your area. Ask for service and give the vin # tell them you have warranty work to be done. See if they say it is under warranty. I have always know it as no. It's either US or its Canadian. No cross over warranty work.

Good luck

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So about a month ago we bought a Canadian built Jeep here in the US (Massachusetts), 2020 Wrangler Sahara with 12k miles. Carfax was clean and dealer made no mention (even if I noticed I wouldn't have known at the time possible repercussions), that the Jeep was a former Enterprise rental in Canada. I stumbled upon and since read a LOT about warranty could be gone. Things I've noticed..... My build sheet has a line item for "CAN/AM Warranty" (reading online this seems to indicate this Jeep either at build time, or upon import to US formally got approved by FCA for factory warranty to transfer from Canada to US). My dealer insists the Jeep is warranted (though I take their word with a grain of salt). Jeep customer service couldn't answer one way or the other and referred me to the dealership. Doing further Google'ing I found Mopar service bulletins regarding that Can/AM should be covered and that Canadian rental fleet vehicles that were at least 6 months in service and at least 15,000 km can have warranty transferred thus earning the Can/AM. I wish Jeep corporate could verify as in the end of the day I feel they'd have final say, but looks like at this point I have to hope/dream my dealer and some members on forums are correct on this Can/Am warranty. Wish I'd known about this at the time or purchase, could have avoided this altogether, but here I am. Luckily no issues at this time, but still doesn't sit well. Of note, my build sheet also has added 50 State Emissions, 110mph (not the Canadian 200kph) max speed, and physical speedo is mph (as are all digital settings). Anyone have any experience with this?
@JeepCares Can you folks help this gentleman? Greg, I don't have an answer, but maybe these folks can help. I would think it would be under warranty, but that may be just wishful thinking on my part. Good luck, I hope you find the answer soon.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
To me it sounds like a US market Jeep that was used in Canada. Look at the data sticker on the driver door jamb, if it is a Canadian market vehicle it will have a maple leaf on it. From what you have said it is a 50 state emission vehicle.
Gregj

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Un
To me it sounds like a US market Jeep that was used in Canada. Look at the data sticker on the driver door jamb, if it is a Canadian market vehicle it will have a maple leaf on it. From what you have said it is a 50 state emission vehicle.
Gregj
Unfortunately almost positive it's Canadian spec (build sheet also says "Build To Canada Mkt. Specifications" and after registering to myJeep I could view the Window sticker, it's all in French and from Quebec I believe). Very strange that there's a mix on build sheet containing under standard the 200kph restriction, then under optional contains 110mph, same Built for Canadian Spec under standard, but 50 state emission under optional. Optional equipment sections also contains both Enterprise Rent a Car and Enterprise Rent a Car (Canada). Just checked door jam sticker, it starts with Manufactured by FCA US LLC, but the same sticker does have the maple leaf and a circle around it with Canadian Transportation something or other.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Definitely Canadian market vehicle. Sorry I can’t offer any other advice.
Gregj

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't think there is much of a difference other than the fact that you get a free engine block heater with it.

Your warranty should/will apply in the US as well.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There are brokers that specialize in buying used vehicles and reselling them across the border. They replace the original speedometer with one that shows the right units in the local market.

The original NAFTA agreement allowed Canadians and Americans to buy vehicles across the border duty free. But local dealers hated losing business to dealers across the border. Demanding market protection, dealers forced FCA and other automakers to put a stop to cross-border sales. Since automakers could not change the law, they implemented these policies that void the warranty when you buy a vehicle across the border, in an attempt to discourage cross-border purchases.

However, exchange rates and different local market conditions continue to make cross-border sales profitable and attractive. A number of dealers continue to engage in cross-border used vehicle sales. The problem is dealers are rarely upfront about it. Some customers discover too late that their vehicle was originally built for a market across the border and has no warranty.

OP: I’d ask the dealer for written confirmation that your vehicle has warranty. If they cannot give you written assurance, I’d try to undo the deal on the premise that you thought you were buying a local vehicle with factory warranty. Either that or have them give you an extended warranty with zero deductible for free.

Good luck.

Last edited:

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
I was under the impression that rental vehicle warranties do not apply to the second purchaser. I don’t think it’s a Canada~spec vs US-spec issue.

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Not sure about previous rental car to private ownership losing warranty, previous to this we had a Dodge Grand Caravan that was a rental before we bought it and had no issue getting warranty work done (even at dealer we did not purchase it from). But yeah this whole thing is strange. Can't understand why Jeep customer care had no way to tell me what "Can/Am Warranty" is on their own build sheet, that would answer most of my question, does it mean yes or no the warranty is good in both countries? If not, then what else could that line possibly mean? The dealer we bought from is very reputable so I believe they'd take any necessary steps to make the import legit (if possible).

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I live in a small city 20 miles south of the Canada border. There’s a local dealer that buys high-end cars at the Vancouver auction and resells them here with the speedometers in miles. Of course I didn’t know any of this.

A couple years ago now, I go to that dealer to look at a fully loaded 2018 JLU Sahara with Selec-Trac, leather, LEDs, navigation, Cold Weather Group, etc., and 8,000 miles listed for $38,000. It is a great price. I take it out for a test drive. It looks and feels like new.

I go home, check the VIN on the CarFax and see a bunch of BC dealer visits. When I ask the salesman he confesses that the Jeep was originally bought in Canada and had no warranty. He clearly had no plans to tell me, though.

I am glad I found out before it was too late.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about previous rental car to private ownership losing warranty, previous to this we had a Dodge Grand Caravan that was a rental before we bought it and had no issue getting warranty work done (even at dealer we did not purchase it from). But yeah this whole thing is strange. Can't understand why Jeep customer care had no way to tell me what "Can/Am Warranty" is on their own build sheet, that would answer most of my question, does it mean yes or no the warranty is good in both countries? If not, then what else could that line possibly mean? The dealer we bought from is very reputable so I believe they'd take any necessary steps to make the import legit (if possible).
Sounds like an aftermarket warranty offered by dealers engaging in cross-border sales.

Is it on the official build sheet, or on the dealer-printed window sticker?

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Sounds like an aftermarket warranty offered by dealers engaging in cross-border sales.

Is it on the official build sheet, or on the dealer-printed window sticker?
Official build sheet right hosted right from jeep.com. Attached is a cut/paste from the build sheet.

Also, while the bulletin below is a few years old, it makes reference to Can/Am warranty is only available for addition when certain conditions are met (of which strangely aside from years due to the age of this particular document, my Jeep meets). Have to think the same/similar conditions still exist for newer, if not how would it be in my build sheet? Though I could be on a long wild goose chase, hence I wish Jeep could simply give an answer.

https://www.ascreps.com/filegallery... Canada FCA Warranty MOPAR update 2.15.16.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Just heard back from Jeep corporate via my email inquiry and can confirm I DO have the full remaining warranty that was transferred from Canada. Figured I'd update the thread in case anyone else comes across a similar situation.... Quote of email below

"According to our records your vehicle is equipped with calse code 3DM CAN-AM Warranty. The balance of the factory warranty will remain on the vehicle"

Thanks all for the replies and advice, this forum seems like a great community.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Glad this turned out well! 😊
Sponsored