Sponsored

Can you use 33 tire as a spare, while driving on 35s?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'd rather pay $1200 for a new set of tires than $1500, that extra 8k in mileage means little to me. That's why I said "for me" in my post, I know different people are going to look at that decision and prefer a different method. But as you probably noticed, 40k is a low estimate of life for the category of tires we use...we should be getting closer to 60k. Thing is, I don't keep my truck tires until they are dead...they're just too dang loud, and they get very slippery in the rain. I replace them generally around the 40k mark and then sell off the old ones as spares on ebay or facebook to recoup some of my money. I also have to get one less tire mounted and balanced, and have to worry about re-balancing one less tire when that time inevitably comes. This method works best for me, but it's certainly not for everyone. I just wanted to point out that the 5-tire rotation is not a rule or even a best practice...it's just one way to do things.
I agree completely, you'll likely save a bit on mounting costs but my tire shop includes lifetime rotations and rebalancing so there's no cost or savings there for me. Of course if you push it to 60k, the extra 20% of 5 tire rotations would get you an extra 12k miles. That's likely an extra year before you buy tires again. Definitely not a 1 size fits all, only way. Just more to look at than buying 4 or 5 tires.
Sponsored

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
As mentioned before, "donut" spares have been common on vehicles since the '80s. Do you think a car manufacturer is going to risk the huge amount of liability if running a smaller size spare was known to make the vehicle dangerous to drive? Also as already said the speed and mileage limitations on these donut spares are more for the fact they are cheap temporary tires and not because they are small.
Many years ago I had a lifted truck with 33's on it and had to install the factory 30" tall spare on it and drove 30 miles home. I did drive a little slower and easier than normal but had absolutely no issues and no obvious change in handling under normal driving conditions.
Would I recommend a fullsize matching spare........absolutely yes.
Do I think the vehicle will explode and kill a bus full of nuns because of using a smaller spare.....absolutely no.
There should be no issues using a smaller size spare as an emergency and temporary solution to get you back home or to a tire shop. Should you go on a 1,000 mile cross country trip while running a smaller size spare as one of the 4 tires......no. But I wouldn't be scared to put it on to get me off the freeway and to a tire shop or home so I could fix it.
There are some advantages about having a matching spare tire with the obvious being you could put it on and continue on your business with no disruptions at all, and fix or replace the flat tire at your convenience. Would also recommend rotating the 5th spare onto the vehicle.

OP
OP
DMT

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
As mentioned before, "donut" spares have been common on vehicles since the '80s. Do you think a car manufacturer is going to risk the huge amount of liability if running a smaller size spare was known to make the vehicle dangerous to drive? Also as already said the speed and mileage limitations on these donut spares are more for the fact they are cheap temporary tires and not because they are small.
Many years ago I had a lifted truck with 33's on it and had to install the factory 30" tall spare on it and drove 30 miles home. I did drive a little slower and easier than normal but had absolutely no issues and no obvious change in handling under normal driving conditions.
Do I think the vehicle will explode and kill a bus full of nuns because of using a smaller spare.....absolutely no.
There should be no issues using a smaller size spare as an emergency and temporary solution to get you back home or to a tire shop. Should you go on a 1,000 mile cross country trip while running a smaller size spare as one of the 4 tires......no. But I wouldn't be scared to put it on to get me off the freeway and to a tire shop or home so I could fix it.
There are some advantages about having a matching spare tire with the obvious being you could put it on and continue on your business with no disruptions at all, and fix or replace the flat tire at your convenience. Would also recommend rotating the 5th spare onto the vehicle.
Yeah, that's the problem with longer trips. We live in flat south Florida and it's miles and miles away to get to where fun trails run . So , fuck it. It ain't cheap. Like Russians say - I am not rich to have cheap shoes.
And matchching same brand tires somewhere could be hassle. Specially now with shortages with everything ...

white walker1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't agree with this "always rotate your spare" sentiment. I suppose if you use your spare somewhat regularly, then perhaps this makes sense. But I haven't needed a spare tire in 25 years, so for me it makes a helluva lot more sense to treat the spare as an accessory and just leave it. Save $300+ not having to buy 5 mega-expensive tires every 40k miles and make rotations a lot easier too.

I will always carry a spare because I know the moment I stop, i'll need it. But my suggestion is to buy four new tires, and pick up a matching used spare on ebay...even if it's patched...doesn't matter, it's a spare. I paid $280ea on sale for my Ridge Grapplers and picked up a spare on ebay for $100.
I've also driven with spare tires for over all my adulthood. The reason I mention rotation of the spare is for even wear and longer life of the tires. You can get more than 40 thousand miles from rotating your fifth tire in. If tires are used to much or to aggressively after the manufactures date (normally 5 years) than higher chances of blow out due to it just being an old ass tire.
The only thing touching the road are your tires and all the force goes to them when attempting to stop. I just bought a pair of used nittos and the first thing I looked at was the manufacture date on them. I knew I was going to change them out within the next 18 months and they're only three year old tires.
I disagree with running a crap spare; unless your rig is only for off-road use and gets trailered everywhere. some people here drive to and from and have daily drivers. This is bad advice for newer drivers. But hey to each their own.
Tires do expire

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I've also driven with spare tires for over all my adulthood. The reason I mention rotation of the spare is for even wear and longer life of the tires. You can get more than 40 thousand miles from rotating your fifth tire in. If tires are used to much or to aggressively after the manufactures date (normally 5 years) than higher chances of blow out due to it just being an old ass tire.
The only thing touching the road are your tires and all the force goes to them when attempting to stop. I just bought a pair of used nittos and the first thing I looked at was the manufacture date on them. I knew I was going to change them out within the next 18 months and they're only three year old tires.
I disagree with running a crap spare; unless your rig is only for off-road use and gets trailered everywhere. some people here drive to and from and have daily drivers. This is bad advice for newer drivers. But hey to each their own.
Tires do expire

I don't change my tires at 40k because I have to. I change them because I choose to. I did detail that in a later post so I won't go into it again. Also - i never said anything about using a "crap" spare. I wouldn't do that either.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Donut spares do not come on solid axle vehicles.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... I don't keep my truck tires until they are dead...they're just too dang loud, and they get very slippery in the rain. I replace them generally around the 40k mark and then sell off the old ones as spares on ebay or facebook to recoup some of my mone....
And this is the affordable way to get a matched size spare without spending $300+.
A much cheaper alternative than new msrp, yet still a perfectly usable tire that you can put on if it's needed.
I've bought a used tire for a spare more than once. If you're patient enough, you can usually find the same brand/model tire that you're running too.

There should be no issues using a smaller size spare as an emergency and temporary solution to get you back home or to a tire shop. Should you go on a 1,000 mile cross country trip while running a smaller size spare as one of the 4 tires......no.
This sums it up well. Sure get the matched spare if you can, there's no reason not to. However, it's not the end of the world if you don't, and you're not going to hurt anything unless you leave it on there for an unnecessarily long time.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
On the trail, if your 35s are aired down enough, you could get by with a fully inflated 33” spare. No way you could use it on any paved roads or highways. Just get a 35” matching spare.
Not true.

It'll be fine (short term) on the rear axle. It's essentially going to make your rear gears act as if you are always turning, thus creating unnecessary wear/load on the spider gears. If you keep your speeds down and get a proper sized tire ASAP, you won't do any damage (I've seen people drive 1000's of miles on an unmatched diameter donut spare with no negative effects, though I would not recommend it).

If you put it on the front and keep it in 2WD, you'll likely not notice anything at all. Maybe a slight tendency to track/pull due to the difference in height.
I prefer to put my 31" spare on the front when I blow a 37.

No problem, a full size spare is completely unnecessary. Put the matching tires on the rear. Put the spare on the front. Leave the front differential open if you have a locker and drive like normal. You can drive it home. Drive it to the tire shop. No problem.
How many times do you actually see a used spare tire? They’re all brand new, very few people get flat tires under normal use.
Off road, if you really needed the front locker, you could use it. Take the easy lines to the trail head.

To get in to town? Absolutely. To go cross country... no.
You haven't see this guy.

There's a BIG difference between "can" and "should".

CAN you use a 33" tire as a spare with 35s? Sure.

SHOULD you use a 33" tire as a spare with 35s? No.
Correct, you should carry a 31" spare like I do. All the full size spare folks squak. The 2" smaller spare folks (there are plenty in the group I wheel with) are emphatic, 2" smaller is the limit. The no spare folks, the biggest group, never complain.

Sure get the matched spare if you can, there's no reason not to.
Get tons and 40's, there's no reason not to. A 37" spare won't fit without non-trivial work and cost.

Save a buck? How about skip the 35's and go right to the 37's you know you really want.
That's what I did and a 37 won't fit on my spare holder. Since I'm selling this rig next year, a guy who I wheel with that sells used Jeeps said don't waste money on a full size spare, it won't get you an extra penny. The mall crawler who buys it won't even notice.

As long as the mismatched tire circumference is not on the main drive axle, it technically can be done. Although, this is only a temporary solution to get oneself to a tire ship asap. If the flat is on the rear axle, replace it with one of the fronts, and put the oddball up there.
It can be on the main drive axle, that's what differentials are for. My red neck cousins have 50K miles of mismatched radius tires on the main drive axle. BTW, their main drive axle is the front axle of their jeep, good thing you didn't say rear axle.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
J0E said:
Shots said:
Sure get the matched spare if you can, there's no reason not to.
Get tons and 40's, there's no reason not to. A 37" spare won't fit without non-trivial work and cost.
Being that the OP was asking about 35's, those "non-trivial" modifications don't need made, so there's no reason not to.
But I also said "...if you can..." because I know a matched spare isn't ideal for every situation, such as someone going with 37's as you mentioned, or tire availability, or price. Which I guess those would technically be reasons not to get the matched spare, but get it if you can.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Sure, just don’t think it will be for more than getting off a trail or to a tire repair fir the affected 35.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Just find an old used 35 on your local tire/jeep chat for a spare.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Just find an old used 35 on your local tire/jeep chat for a spare.
Or CL or facebook marketplace. I just scored 4 nice wheels and 37's of FB marketplace. I'll keep the 31 spare mounted and have 4 full size replacements once I get home.

Last edited:

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Donut spares do not come on solid axle vehicles.
Huh? There is no difference in how the axles and differential work between a solid axle and IFS vehicle in regards to running a donut spare.

Reactions: J0E

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
On the trail, if your 35s are aired down enough, you could get by with a fully inflated 33” spare. No way you could use it on any paved roads or highways. Just get a 35” matching spare.
And that's why I plan on buying a set of 5 wheels, instead of 4. When shit hits the fan on larger tires, you're SOL if you only have the stock "full size" spare in tow.

Pay now or pay later.... Your call...
Sponsored