Sponsored

Can you use 33 tire as a spare, while driving on 35s?

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Trailhawk '14 , JURD'21, JL'23
Can you use 33 spate tire while having 3 other tires 35?
I suppose it can work temporarily while on trail, but would be risky driving on highway for extended period of time.
Yes/no/maybe?
Thanks
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
On the trail, if your 35s are aired down enough, you could get by with a fully inflated 33” spare. No way you could use it on any paved roads or highways. Just get a 35” matching spare.

OP
OP
DMT

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the trail, if your 35s are aired down enough, you could get by with a fully inflated 33” spare. No way you could use it on any paved roads or highways. Just get a 35” matching spare.
Well, you absolutely ruined my idea to save a buck 😆 🤣 😂
Thank you

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
short answer... no

Sponsored

OP
OP
DMT

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Use it like a donut but go slow and get your 35 fixed ASAP. Emergency use only. But get a 35 for your spare and do a 5 tire rotation.
I ain't got 35s yet. Wearing out 33s now.
Still have 33 new one spare. Was lazy to include it into rotation earlier .

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

As long as you don't have a locker or limited slip or using your electric lockers it should be fine short term.

If you have a limited slip in the rear swap a front tire to the rear And put the smaller on the front as the different tire size will burn up the clutches/cones in certain style limited slip differentials.

Regards,
Jim

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I ain't got 35s yet. Wearing out 33s now.
Still have 33 new one spare. Was lazy to include it into rotation earlier .
Is your goal to buy 4 x 35’s and save $300 keeping the spare 33? I would think the $300 is small potatoes considering the possibilities of what could go wrong having a wrong size spare tire…..

E14D8693-BDF6-4190-A90C-F4605800D663.jpeg

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Accurately measure your 33 inch (loaded) spare from center to the ground with 40 psi. Deflate the 35's till they match. Disregard any thought of the tire diameter. Your only concern is the loaded radius.
When the distance is equal, your loaded radius will be the same. Keep your speed down and replace that spare ASAP. "Not next week". Better yet, find a used 35 tire for a spare or a set of 5 used 35's if you budget won't allow 5 new ones.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DMT

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accurately measure your 33 inch (loaded) spare from center to the ground with 40 psi. Deflate the 35's till they match. Disregard any thought of the tire diameter. Your only concern is the loaded radius.
When the distance is equal, your loaded radius will be the same. Keep your speed down and replace that spare ASAP. "Not next week". Better yet, find a used 35 tire for a spare or a set of 5 used 35's if you budget won't allow 5 new ones.
Thank you. I was just assuming I could do it, but its not worth it. Will buy a set of 5 tires 35s when the time comes. Thank you

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
......, find a used 35 tire for a spare ....
I did this on one of my trucks years ago to save a few bucks. I had aggressive A/T tires on the truck but didn't want to use a spare that was too small. I also didn't really have an extra $300 to hang under the truck, so I bought a used all season tire of a similar size it stuck it under there. I got the tire for something like $100 and didn't have to worry about messing up the LSD with a smaller size or having to rotate a flat to the front before limping to the tire shop.

To the OP. The factory spare on a lot of 2500's is about an inch smaller than the other tires. Obviously 2" is a bit more impactful, but, (as someone already mentioned) treating it like a donut and not driving any more than you need to, can get it to safety without messing up the Jeep by putting it up front.

Reactions: DMT
OP
OP
DMT

DMT

First Name
Dimitriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanx everyone

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I wouldn't, I'd expect it to freak out the Jeep, the 33 would have a different wheel speed than any other wheel at any speed.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It'll be fine (short term) on the rear axle. It's essentially going to make your rear gears act as if you are always turning, thus creating unnecessary wear/load on the spider gears. If you keep your speeds down and get a proper sized tire ASAP, you won't do any damage (I've seen people drive 1000's of miles on an unmatched diameter donut spare with no negative effects, though I would not recommend it).

If you put it on the front and keep it in 2WD, you'll likely not notice anything at all. Maybe a slight tendency to track/pull due to the difference in height.
Sponsored