Sponsored

Can you feel the 2.0T working through the steering wheel?

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
Might be odd question, I have a new 4xe, it's smooth as butter when running off the battery, like most electric vehicles, but when the 2.0T kicks in, occasionally, I noticed I feel the steering wheel vibrate a bit more than I've experienced in other vehicles. I don't notice it while maintaining speed on the interstate 55-75mph. But when accelerating from lower speeds or stop signs trying to get up to speed, I notice the steering wheel with a slight buzzy vibration. I've only noticed this when the 2.0T is running mostly under load. I've read the negatives of course on the 2.0T and people said it's buzzy ect, but I test drove one and never noticed it in the steering wheel. Only was a bit loud at times, which I figued was what the "buzzy" part was referring to. But it was a smooth engine I thought. Is this a characteristic some 2.0 owners have noticed? If not, I suppose I'll have it looked at by Jeep.
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I've noticed it and it's no more, or less, than what I've felt with other vehicles. Engines vibrate. That's normal.

Excessive vibration, though, isn't good. In my experience, excessive vibration from the engine manifests itself as being felt throughout the cabin, not just the steering wheel.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Can’t say I’ve noticed anything in the wheel. I will say the 2.0 is unrefined in the NVH department.

But I guess unrefined probably has a picture of a Jeep next to it in the dictionary.

OP
OP
dougywarren

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
Can’t say I’ve noticed anything in the wheel. I will say the 2.0 is unrefined in the NVH department.

But I guess unrefined probably has a picture of a Jeep next to it in the dictionary.
haha right. That’s why I’m trying to figure out if I’m making it worse than it actually is, or if it’s worth the headache of taking it to Jeep to see if there’s anything going on. I can live with it for sure, I have a couple long road trips coming up and it’s perfectly fine on the interstate. But it’s just enough excessive vibration through the steering wheel at times to be an annoyance, a couple times I had to take my hand off the wheel because it felt like it was going numb from it. Almost like an electric razor kind of vibration, but it’s rare and only under load at times when the battery is depleted

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)

This.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
haha right. That’s why I’m trying to figure out if I’m making it worse than it actually is, or if it’s worth the headache of taking it to Jeep to see if there’s anything going on. I can live with it for sure, I have a couple long road trips coming up and it’s perfectly fine on the interstate. But it’s just enough excessive vibration through the steering wheel at times to be an annoyance, a couple times I had to take my hand off the wheel because it felt like it was going numb from it. Almost like an electric razor kind of vibration, but it’s rare and only under load at times when the battery is depleted
Just my opinion, but by your description above I think there is a problem in yours. I’ve never experienced anything like you describe. In recent days I’ve paid particular attention to look for steering wheel vibes and found nothing.
Sponsored