Can you afford what you want?

How's your wallet doing?

• Total voters

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Full pricing details are starting to roll in, and even though they're around what I expected, it's still too much to pull the trigger. I'm out
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in between skipping a few options, or just saving a lot of money and getting into another JK that's fully loaded. I never had any major complaints about the JK(Other than the manual transmission.) The aftermarket is already well established for the JK, which is important for me b/c I can't seem to leave anything close to stock. I just have a feeling once I get into & drive a JL I will be regretting my choice. I sold my 2016 JK more than six months ago(In anticipation of the JL) and I am really hurting to get back into another Jeep. It would just be nice if it wasn't close to $50k optioned the way I want it.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I may be in a fifth category: able, but unwilling, to pay the price. I'm mostly OK with FCA charging an extra $3k to produce a vehicle that's up to par by contemporary standards. But if they add an upcharge for what should be a slip-in replacement turbo, I might look elsewhere. Getting ripped off kinda ruins the fun factor. We'll see how this plays out.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I'm still on the fence right now. I still have a long time before I buy one, so I could change my mind several times before then. I love Wranglers but the price is quickly going into the area of some pretty interesting, well equipped vehicles. A Sport will be almost $40k with just the Turbo 4, automatic and a hardtop. Since this would be my grocery getter I may not be able to justify that kind of money for such little content. I really think FCA is overpricing this thing. It seems like $2 grand for an auto is a little much and all the options are $100 more than the JK.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Yeah I have been debating with myself back and forth the last few days. Iā€™m looking at either a Sahara (then needing a lift, spacers, fenders, and wheels vs a Rubi with wheels once the 33ā€™s wear out. I can afford it but I canā€™t rationalize spending over $50K on a vehicle. That being said any full size truck will roughly cost about the same so what do I do? I will prolly end up getting the Jeep cuz itā€™s what I want but still in the back of my mind itā€™s an unwise decision, especially as I have never off-roaded before and not sure of anywhere to go around here

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have been saving for 6 years and not buying anything I didn't need except some home repairs. That coupled with my trade in helps me get what I want otherwise forget it.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Everybody should look at what weā€™re getting compared to the JK. At minimum you would need to get a proper 2.5ā€ JK lift which still doesnā€™t set up the JK near the JL Rubiconā€™s OEM level and spend nearly $3k. Yes you could buy a budget 2.5 pushing the front differential 2ā€ out of alignment with the rear differential.

Then thereā€™s that wonderful JK manual tranny, donā€™t need to elaborate about that mess. The Pentastar has been upgraded, better outward interior visibility, better soft top, lighter freedom panels on the 3 piece hardtop, significantly better on road handling. Shall I continue? Better bumpers, read about the multitude of magazine journalists who ALL claim this is the best Wrangler ever.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I agree with this but the extra upgrades you referenced are upcharges

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Iā€™ll definitley get what I want, but only if the price is right. Just bought a 2018 Raptor, so as long as it holds itā€™s value for 18-24 months quite well, Iā€™ll be in a good position to hopefully trade straight up for a moderately optioned Rubicon Unlimited. I also hope thereā€™s interesting colors avaikable at that point in time.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I agree with this but the extra upgrades you referenced are upcharges
I only referenced 1 upgrade; the 3 piece hardtop. Everything else I mentioned is standard non-optional.

Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
After all the base pricings came out, I started to look into other 4wd/awd SUV options with several of the options Iā€™d want and they all ran about $4-5k less than the Wrangler Sahara Iā€™d get. The big difference for me though is that they all donā€™t have that ā€œItā€ factor that make them stand out from the competition and none of them have removable roof/doors/window....

tilleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
2018 jk Willy's looking pretty good right now and I can get the options and color I want.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I sincerely hope that Ford comes to market with a viable Wrangler-competing Bronco, and undercuts the Wranglerā€™s price. And if it looks half as good as those old renderings, I might take a look at it.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I sincerely hope that Ford comes to market with a viable Wrangler-competing Bronco, and undercuts the Wranglerā€™s price. And if it looks half as good as those old renderings, I might take a look at it.
I'm not a brand snob by any means, I just love the Wrangler bc it is the best at what it does. If ford releases a bronco that looks like the renderings and is as capable as the Wrangler for less $ then I am out.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a brand snob by any means, I just love the Wrangler bc it is the best at what it does. If ford releases a bronco that looks like the renderings and is as capable as the Wrangler for less $ then I am out.
I come from a Ford family but I canā€™t wait until 2020 for a SUV. Plus the Bronco will definitely have kinks it has to work out since itā€™s a brand new model compared to the Wrangler ā€œrefreshā€. Last time I checked the Bronco was on its third concept design because thereā€™s so many opinions on what it should be like.
Sponsored