Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This winter I started noticing and troubleshooting the same shimmy on my ‘18 JLUR. Only noticeable at speeds under highway, say under 50mph. Definitely not death wobble or bump steer. 37 Toyo MTs on 17” Icons., 2.5” MC Gamechanger with HD steering and updated stock stabilizer and aluminum steering box. Little to no problems with tracking straight. Recent overdue tire rotation eliminated slight pull to right but shimmy still there.

Having broken 20K miles I suspected OE ball joints but they check out okay. All adjustable arms and bars tight. Only thing that changed was cold temps and subsequent tire pressure drop from my standard 28 to as low as 25 when temps below 30 degrees.

Considering an adjustable stabilizer to get that shimmy out, I brought rig in for third free oil change. Told dealer not to rotate tire as just were done. Left dealer and noticed shimmy SEEMS to have disappeared. What changed? They filled tires up to 33 lbs. Now wondering if the D rated MTs could be flexing at lower speeds causing the shimmy. Dropped pressure to 30 and will continue to monitor. Could it be this simple?

6ABCEE17-1775-45DC-8F86-2EB551D43F85.jpeg
Don’t trust ball joint check test, especially after 20k and 35 or 37s. I’ve replaced to sets that were bad , and tested no movement. Just .02..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
This winter I started noticing and troubleshooting the same shimmy on my ‘18 JLUR. Only noticeable at speeds under highway, say under 50mph. Definitely not death wobble or bump steer. 37 Toyo MTs on 17” Icons., 2.5” MC Gamechanger with HD steering and updated stock stabilizer and aluminum steering box. Little to no problems with tracking straight. Recent overdue tire rotation eliminated slight pull to right but shimmy still there.

Having broken 20K miles I suspected OE ball joints but they check out okay. All adjustable arms and bars tight. Only thing that changed was cold temps and subsequent tire pressure drop from my standard 28 to as low as 25 when temps below 30 degrees.

Considering an adjustable stabilizer to get that shimmy out, I brought rig in for third free oil change. Told dealer not to rotate tire as just were done. Left dealer and noticed shimmy SEEMS to have disappeared. What changed? They filled tires up to 33 lbs. Now wondering if the D rated MTs could be flexing at lower speeds causing the shimmy. Dropped pressure to 30 and will continue to monitor. Could it be this simple?

6ABCEE17-1775-45DC-8F86-2EB551D43F85.jpeg
I had around 12k on my factory ball joints, I put 35’s on the Jeep when it had 98 miles on it. They tested fine, honestly I thought it was a long shot to fix my issue but I pulled it apart anyway. The stock joints flopped around like a rag doll when I pressed them out. The factory joints are crap and that’s probably giving them more credit then they deserve.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Seems like the more modified you are the more likely this is to happen. My stock 21 JLU hasn't ever done anything like this, it steers fine and takes bumps with no issues. But I can see as you lift and add bigger tires, etc any slight issue is likely to be magnified accordingly...

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Tire pressure definitely changes the feel in the steering wheel when hitting bumps. the only time I feel any real wiggle in the steering is when I’m running back to town at 60 with 12 psi. With that said, I’m not sure if 5psi either way would make a difference. I guess I’m lucky, 28k on a mopar lift with 35s, and now 2k with 37s and have not had any issues. I briefly thought about changing lifts, but all this has me holding off.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
I have zero regrets about my MC lift and HD steering upgrades. Very happy with its handling as a DD and when climbing New England rocky/muddy/wooded trails.

In my case, the shimmy came to light after upgrading to HD steering components at around 15K miles. This, in turn, brought light to the weak links - ball joints and/or steering box. And while my rig is "eligible" for the steel steering box swap, I hate the idea of my dealer doing ANY work on it.

Now I just need a source for Dynatrac ball joints that is not three months out.

mikep

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I think you may start chasing your tail with this. I have a similar setup as you (RK suspension and all Synergy steering, but haven't done the steering box upgrade yet) and I may get some slight bump steer every once in a blue moon, similar to you. It doesn't even bother me as it not's consistent issue, which would lead me to believe something was wrong.

I think what you're experiencing is bump steer and could just be a product of the Wrangler's steering/supension design and a solid front axle. About the only things you haven't changed out (from what you listed) are the ball joints and axle front upper control arm bushings. I have the Dana HD ball joints and Rock Jock upper control arm bushing kit to install in mine in a few weeks. After I get those in, I'll know if the steering "is what it is" or it can be improved upon. But overall, I am happy with how my JL steers and handles.
So did it improve? Wondering if I should invest in those upgrades

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Maybe because I have been driving old cars for too long but I haven't noticed any wobble, shudder, or anything to make me think something wasn't right with the steering. Even after 20 miles of washboard, although slower driving. Completely stock 2 door sport with C rated 265/70/17 K02s running at 36 psi on stock steel rims. Mine is a 2019 with late April build bought Jan 2020 so they had already done any recall work.
Yeah, I have absolutely no issues.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We have a definite shimmy now, but I'm sure it's ball joints. Pushing 40k miles on the stock ones with 20k+ of those on 37's. Has anyone tried the synergy HD JL ball joints? At half the price of dynatrac I'm definitely leaning that direction. At $300 for all 4 they are barely more expensive than the oem plastic lined garbage.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We have a definite shimmy now, but I'm sure it's ball joints. Pushing 40k miles on the stock ones with 20k+ of those on 37's. Has anyone tried the synergy HD JL ball joints? At half the price of dynatrac I'm definitely leaning that direction. At $300 for all 4 they are barely more expensive than the oem plastic lined garbage.
99.9 percent sure it’s ball joints, as you say. especially with the mileage on it.. Ask @Moto_21 about the synergy BJs ....

Sponsored