Sponsored

Can we talk about PAC units added to Stereo?

desert.darlin.jl

First Name
Lindsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
In my last two Jeeps I have added to the OEM Alpine system with sub. The 1st one I added new dash speakers, Wakeboard style speakers, 2 JL Audio Amps and 2 jl audio subs. The system sounded great off the stock 8.4, the only thing that wasnt right was the wakeboard speakers which for some reason were only producing mids. Audio shop told me "need to install a PAC unit to get those right, and the rest of the speakers will sound better too" So I did.
Wakeboard speakers came to life as expected, sounded great. However, seemingly the PAC unit degraded the rest of the system.

On to my new one. Again an Alpine system with Sub OEM. Installed a Stinger Heigh10 headunit which comes with PAC as part of the kit. For the life of me, I cannot figure why once again interior speakers feel degraded.

No matter how I set EQ (which is far more advanced than oem), I cannot match the OEM sound. Was doing back to back testing with my other Jeep that has the same Alpine system with sub, same BT connection, same songs.
-Bass cannot be matched on lower volumes.
-sharpness in front speakers is too much or too little.
-way way too much bass tries to make it to the front speakers.
-max volume distorts sooner

I think in the Alpine/sub systems there is some built in crossover that gets bypassed when PAC installed. Im sure it can be dialed in better by a trained ear, but I dont think ill ever match the oem sound across the volume range. I can get it to my liking at any given volume, but then if you jump up the volume it needs a whole new setting.

What im saying make sense?
Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
It does make sense. You are correct in that the factory alpine amp does process the signal, and bypassing the amp basically sends raw full range sound to your speakers. Personally in my own experience, I would avoid going the PAC route and instead use a DSR1. However, since you have already purchased the PAC, you have the option of using a different DSP of your choosing. Whether that be the Dayton 408 for cost savings, or a higher end model for more features. Regardless, if you really want to dial that sound in and bring your system to life, you really need to go active via a dsp.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I agree with LSguy. A dsp would definitely allow you more flexibility to tune the speakers. What speakers do you have in the front and are they passive or active? From Stinger’s description the Height 10 has a limited, time alignment, dsp and eq built in. You might be able to use the built in features if you have enough channels.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I agree with LSguy. A dsp would definitely allow you more flexibility to tune the speakers. What speakers do you have in the front and are they passive or active? From Stinger’s description the Height 10 has a limited, time alignment, dsp and eq built in. You might be able to use the built in features if you have enough channels.
I believe when I checked the Stinger doesn't use a real dsp. Many manufacturers claim dsp on their head units, and while it is true that they digitally process the signal, it is not a full featured dsp. Standard head units will feature a graphic or somtimes a limited parametric eq and some time alignment abilities. The better head unit dsps will allow independent eq for front and rear channels. However I have yet to find one that will let you set custom crossovers and tune each speaker individually.
Sponsored