Sponsored

Can we please get a hard top convertible...?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
This may sound like a crazy thing to even consider, but I live in the mountains and you can go from 75 degrees to 50 degrees in nothing flat and I don't like having to keep taking off my top and then putting it right back on the same day. If they can figure out a hard top convertible for a sports car that folds into the trunk, surely they can figure out how to make one for the Jeep... I've gotten pretty quick at removing it and putting it back on using a ceiling mounted hoist, but it's a pain to drive through the mountains and be 2 hours from home and have to try to beat the rain/cold home to put it back on.

Sky Top is not an option for me, I prefer the whole thing to come off, but I like the quiet interior of the hard top. I'm really contemplating a soft top, but I don't care for the road noise.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?
Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Given the shape and size of the Wrangler and it’s hardtop, I don’t see how this could be done while maintaining the utility of the vehicle.

That having been said, the regular hard top could be made easier to handle by having modular side panels, like the sky top and a removable rear window. That would make removal of the hartop possible without a hoist or 2 people. And it could be used in various combinations.

Sponsored

Beachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Bestop had a option, but it's like a sunroof for the front panels - about 800 though!
I'm debating it since i don't have storage to take the hardtop off & don't like the extra softtop noise like you mentioned

Jeep Wrangler JL Can we please get a hard top convertible...? Screenshot_20201223-171707_Firefox

Deleted member 53226

This may sound like a crazy thing to even consider, but I live in the mountains and you can go from 75 degrees to 50 degrees in nothing flat and I don't like having to keep taking off my top and then putting it right back on the same day. If they can figure out a hard top convertible for a sports car that folds into the trunk, surely they can figure out how to make one for the Jeep... I've gotten pretty quick at removing it and putting it back on using a ceiling mounted hoist, but it's a pain to drive through the mountains and be 2 hours from home and have to try to beat the rain/cold home to put it back on.

Sky Top is not an option for me, I prefer the whole thing to come off, but I like the quiet interior of the hard top. I'm really contemplating a soft top, but I don't care for the road noise.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Can we please get a hard top convertible...? 1608777411591

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Bestop had a option, but it's like a sunroof for the front panels - about 800 though!
I'm debating it since i don't have storage to take the hardtop off & don't like the extra softtop noise like you mentioned

Jeep Wrangler JL Can we please get a hard top convertible...? 1608777411591
I have one of these, love it. It is slightly noisier than the freedom panels but not by much.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Not only would a convertible hardtop for the Wrangler be incredibly problematic, but it would also be really ugly and cost about half of what the Wrangler itself costs. There's a reason there are so few hardtop convertibles out there - they are all problematic and mega-expensive.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Not only would a convertible hardtop for the Wrangler be incredibly problematic, but it would also be really ugly and cost about half of what the Wrangler itself costs. There's a reason there are so few hardtop convertibles out there - they are all problematic and mega-expensive.
Agreed! Also it would be super heavy! I think it would add up to 400 pounds.. Between motors sensors, wire harness and control modules and what not..

I have the hard top and i took it off twice here in Arizona and it was a hassle.. So i might just sell it and get the OEM premium soft top and call it a day.. I dont mind the noise!

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Yeah, I've seen those, but it's still a soft top with the soft top noise issues... (maybe not quite as bad as the OEM soft top though)
Have you been in one? My @myTop is quieter than the hardtop I had. These tops are triple insulated and much warmer than my previous hardtop.

It's ridiculously convenient and easy to use. Also depending on how much you sell your factory top for, the end cost can be less than 2k for maximum freedom with minimal effort.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you been in one? My @myTop is quieter than the hardtop I had. These tops are triple insulated and much warmer than my previous hardtop.

It's ridiculously convenient and easy to use. Also depending on how much you sell your factory top for, the end cost can be less than 2k for maximum freedom with minimal effort.
We test drove a soft top when we were looking at our jeeps and we much prefer the hard top over the soft top.

how good is that top at keeping the water out when you go through an automatic car wash or heavy rain?

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Given the shape and size of the Wrangler and it’s hardtop, I don’t see how this could be done while maintaining the utility of the vehicle.

That having been said, the regular hard top could be made easier to handle by having modular side panels, like the sky top and a removable rear window. That would make removal of the hartop possible without a hoist or 2 people. And it could be used in various combinations.
I would be all over this. No reason it can’t be done.
Sponsored