Sponsored

Can too short/long of sway bars links be the cause of my wheel shimmy?

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Have to temporarily drive with out sway bars because the bracket is Bent and have to figure out a way to bend it back.

Anyways I have noticed that I don't get as much wheel shimmy with them off, I noticed a bit before having the bracket Bent. I think I might get adjustable sway bar links.

So in saying that how would I determine that the ones I have are too short or long
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Your sway bar ends when connected should be above parallel approximately the same distance as your lift gain. If the ends of your swaybar (while connected) are parallel or pointing downward the sway bar could "roll under" on one side while offroading and cause a bunch of damage to your vehicle. I'm not sure how important it is with a spacer lift as you haven't really increased your articulation much if any unless you put on longer shocks with it. Personally I think your problem is somewhere else and you are just feeling a shimmy when the sway bar is connected as it now becomes somewhat of a tuning fork between the two sides of your axle, I've never heard of a swaybar causing shimmy. If you are going to replace your sway bar links you should get quick disconnect adjustable links, that way when you are offorading you can get full articulation out of your front axle by disconnecting the sway bars, although i'm not sure how much you will gain on spacers. Honestly, and yes I know people are on a budget, spacers are the least desirable way to lift and I think expectations of a decent ride and or offroading capabilities should be set pretty low. I'm not bagging on you, I just think you should consider budgeting a better lift or even a Rubicon take off suspension. But once again I don't think your sway bar or sway bar links are causing you shimmy, just making it more apparent to you when you drive it.
Sponsored