Can This Be Right

JLChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I recently relocated. Living in a multistory apartment. Even if I was mechanically inclined I don't have the space to do installations. I bought my jeep in March 2018. I could not wait any longer to start my build. I have had bad experiences in the past so I went by a local shop to talk about installing the Rock Slide Engineering Steps. I wanted to meet the guys first. The shop came highly recommended. I had contemplated a slow build. Getting nice shocks and keeping my 33s for a while, (I have a Rubicon) adding bumpers maybe some armor and then a lift and 35s down the road, next year. While at the shop discussing sliders I got comfortable, concluded they knew what they were doing and deecided on moving ahead with some King OME replacement shocks that fit from 0 lift (which is what I have now) and 2.5 (which is where I anticipate landing). Well, when I picked up the jeep they had installed bump stop extensions. I guess they came with the shocks. Since I had also ordered, and they installed, king bump stops which extend 4 inches, I have no clue why they would install about 2 inch bump stop extensions. In fact, they had the bump stops crammed up as high as they could get them. You could barely see light between the bump stops and the bump stop extensions. When I questioned this, they lowered the bump stop to sit flush on extension. He said the bump stop would act as a "pre shock" that way. He said I would only notice if the wheels dropped and came back up. I rode around town cringing when I saw bumps. Is there any reason AT All to install the extensions here with NO LIFT? As some my have guessed, it did not ride well. After some words were exchanged, they removed the extensions. I have today seen where this same shop installed what appears to be a very sophisticated coil over setup on a truck. Is there any theory for doing what they did to my jeep by installing the bump stop extensions right on the bump stops and tell me it was because the extensions "came with the kit so they had to install them" and the problem will "correct itself" when I lift? I have what appears to be appropriate spacing now and it drives great. But I have no confidence that they adjusted the bump stops correctly to avoid rubbing. I have lost faith in that shop. Is my loss of confidence justified?

IMG_4838.jpeg
Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no expert, but I always thought you added bump stops to limit up travel when adding larger tires. If that shock can be used in stock suspension configurations and you didn't increase your tire size then I, like you, see no need for a bump stop extension. Unless, the compressed length of that shock is too long without a lift and the shocks bottom out. But if they are meant for a 0" to 2.5" lift why limit travel with a bump stop?

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Sounds like they didn't tune the air bump stops properly but let's face it air bumps at stock is way over kill and there is not much space there to properly set them up.

The idea for air bumps is to slow down upward travel of the suspension and tire before bad contact happens. Basically merges the job of a progressive rate spring and rubber bump stops but does a better job and in turn allows you to run a softer spring. Because you run stock springs which are rated to run without air bumps it will ride like dog shit and much stiffer.

By putting the bump stop extension in and adjust the air bumps to ride on them it was the shops attempt to make it more road worthy so you don't hear or feel the bump stops contacting and compressing with ever pot hole. Where they went wrong was not warning you that it would ride like dog shit, taking you money, and maybe not adjusting the pressure in the air bump.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Bump stops have 2 functions.
1. Prevent your tire from hitting your fender
2. Prevent your shock from bottoming out at full compression.
Air bumps are designed to absorb sudden impacts at high speed and came from the desert racing market. They do that job well but are overkill for pretty much anything else. King shocks come from that kind of market as well.
All of that said, you probably paid really good money for a product that will perform very well...but will likely exceed your actual needs or demands from the Jeep.
You can decide how all of that fits into what you paid for it. Letting a Jeep leave the shop with bumpstops riding bottomed our is just bad for reputation but can sometimes be an oversight between sales and the mechanics.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
seems like you bought the most expensive stuff without doing your homework first. lol

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
There's several GOOD shops around Nashville, plenty to choose from if you have lost faith in this shop. What I would guess happened is that they simply installed everything that came with the shocks and air bumps. What should happen is the lower extensions should be removed and the vehicle flexed to make sure that the air bump is fully compressed and stopping uptravel before the shock is fully compressed and before tire impacts the fender. Keep in mind that the average shop doesn't often play with air bumps as they're more advanced than the average user needs.

If you'd like some shop recommendations, feel free to PM. I (personally) used to live in the area and still stay in very close contact with some shops there.
Sponsored