WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
FC916339-A983-461E-B276-937B5EDB5769.jpeg

The nail is 1 1/8” in from the carcass edge.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My son works at Discount Tire and this is what he said about it:

Discount Tire would first dismount the tire from the wheel and see how close the hole is to the sidewall from the inside. Depending on the distance, it could be plugged and patched. A supervisor may have to authorize the repair if it's close to the sidewall. Discount Tire will do a free inspection and let you know if it can be repaired or not.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I plugged my tire in the same place and 2 years later it’s still holding, and I drive on it. If you plug it yourself the only thing you lose if it doesn’t work is the 15” spent doing it.

OP
OP
WagzDad

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thank You for the replies. My area has become a bit of a ghost town in the last few days. Hard to find a tire place open even on weekdays now.

Stay safe

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Thank You for the replies. My area has become a bit of a ghost town in the last few days. Hard to find a tire place open even on weekdays now.

Stay safe
Order a tire plug kit from Amazon or pick one up from a big box or auto parts store and do it yourself. It's a handy tool/skill to have at your disposal.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
not to be a creep, but, it's not in the sidewall.

turn that ruler 180 degrees, come down 2 inches.
THAT is a sidewall, and, that, is a no-no.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
not to be a creep, but, it's not in the sidewall.

turn that ruler 180 degrees, come down 2 inches.
THAT is a sidewall, and, that, is a no-no.
In CA they will not patch it if its within a certain amount of inches from side and claim state laws.. dunno nails seem to know and really aim for the edges

Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
In CA they will not patch it if its within a certain amount of inches from side and claim state laws.. dunno nails seem to know and really aim for the edges
had a chunk of 2b argillite punch between the belts on a Goodyear at once. in a parking lt. tire had about 500 miles on it.

I got really creative with tire plugs that day. (Goodyear told me that it basically sucked to be me)

TPadden

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Dunno ... some people should just pay $$$ for tire road hazard insurance; others can be happy with a simple 5 minute plug repair completed by the owner without even removing the wheel from the vehicle. The most difficult part is usually finding the puncture. :whew:

If I wanted to spend the big bucks I'd blow a whole $15 on the Amazon super fancy worm kit delivered in 3-5 days... WARNING WARNING WARNING ... it doesn't include needle nose pliers to pull the nail or compressor/ pump needed to complete the job. :like:

https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-5000...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VHBG00C7BYKC0100A6EX

Cheaper kits available at Walmart or almost anywhere auto supplies are sold. :)

49739053852_383db48c52_c.jpg

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Plug it. I've plugged probably 30 tires, and I have only had one leak. Re-plugged it and all is fine.
That’s a lot of flats! Do you drive around construction sites looking for nails to run over? Lol.
Sponsored