Sponsored

Can the sky one touch be converted to manual open and close if it were to suddenly stop working in the future?

Jeeper1941

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Hi y’all. Thinking about ordering a Jeep JL with a Sky one touch top. For those of you with it, or those of you who might have had another vehicle with a similar convertible top, do you think it be possible to convert it to a manual open and close if I’m the future the top would giving you problems? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Hi y’all. Thinking about ordering a Jeep JL with a Sky one touch top. For those of you with it, or those of you who might have had another vehicle with a similar convertible top, do you think it be possible to convert it to a manual open and close if I’m the future the top would giving you problems? Thanks in advance.
Good question. Sorry, I don’t have an answer but would also be interested to know.

I’ve had my SkyOne touch for a few weeks now and love it. It still feels like a naked soft top to me and the convenience factor is awesome! One thing I’ve noticed is that if I open it fully the bass in my Alpine sub goes to half power for some crazy reason. I just close it a couple inches and the bass comes back to life.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
If you get it and it stops working for whatever reason years later and don’t want to fix it or can’t find parts, you could always swap it out to a regular hard or soft top.

JakeLamb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I was told that you cannot. Why? I'm not sure. Some of the parts (around the windshield etc.) may be different.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I was told that you cannot. Why? I'm not sure. Some of the parts (around the windshield etc.) may be different.
that is correct, some of the trim pieces are different, but you can get those pieces.

Plenty of people have posted that they’ve gone from sky one touch to regular top, or regular top to sky one touch.

a lot of info here. Obviously this guy is doing the opposite, but should be good info none the less.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
There is no manual crank option with SOT, other sun roofs have had a small crank in the glovebox to manually operate it. SOT has two motors in the back that run the top.

Yes there is definitely an audio change from open to close, Jeep has some algorithms that adjust the audio for when the top is open or closed. 🤷‍♂️

Yes you can remove the SOT, I took mine off and put the softtop back on for the cooler weather.
Gregj

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Good question. Sorry, I don’t have an answer but would also be interested to know.

I’ve had my SkyOne touch for a few weeks now and love it. It still feels like a naked soft top to me and the convenience factor is awesome! One thing I’ve noticed is that if I open it fully the bass in my Alpine sub goes to half power for some crazy reason. I just close it a couple inches and the bass comes back to life.
After reading your post I was curious if mine cut the bass to half as well in the full back position, and sure enough it did. Thanks for the heads up, as I’m not sure I would have figured this out on my own.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a “top present” wire in the plug. The SOT interacts with it. The change is there when you remove the hardtop too.
Gregj

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
There is a “top present” wire in the plug. The SOT interacts with it. The change is there when you remove the hardtop too.
Gregj
Do you know if there is any way to bypass this so that the bass is full when top is removed/open? Or at least do you know where I could find the interaction point(s)?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the wire diagram that shows it, it is in the hardtop plug at the left rear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the sky one touch be converted to manual open and close if it were to suddenly stop working in the future? A272663F-C083-4F34-89EE-61CA3EEAD68D

Link to the wire diagram. This was a common hack on the JK’s, we talked about it in another thread, I can’t remember where, it looks like you just ground the wire but someone tried it and it didn’t work 🤷‍♂️
My hearing sucks and I have constant ringing in my ears so high end stereo is lost on me.
Gregj

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Here is the wire diagram that shows it, it is in the hardtop plug at the left rear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the sky one touch be converted to manual open and close if it were to suddenly stop working in the future? A272663F-C083-4F34-89EE-61CA3EEAD68D

Link to the wire diagram. This was a common hack on the JK’s, we talked about it in another thread, I can’t remember where, it looks like you just ground the wire but someone tried it and it didn’t work 🤷‍♂️
My hearing sucks and I have constant ringing in my ears so high end stereo is lost on me.
Gregj
Thanks! I was thinking that grounding it somewhere would work (most likely somewhere on the roof contacts). I’ll be definitely looking into this.
Sponsored