Can the math work out to justify a 4xe?

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Leather seats and body colored flares are not standard on the 4Xe. They are an additional cost. You do get a bunch of "stuff" standard on the 4Xe, but those two items are extra, at least according to the current version of the Jeep configurator. :)

Standard on the Sahara and High Altitude 4xe, which was what this decision point implied:

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the math work out to justify a 4xe? 1620774802867

i.e., "more of a this [Rubicon] vs. that [leather/body colored fenders]"

:rock:

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the math work out to justify a 4xe? 1620774922031
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This was specifically to this guy

Here's V2, now with some more options for all the people who feel the need to continually complain online that other people want to buy a car they don't want to buy. The free web app said I had used the max objects so I had to mspaint the last set I added (the very first part: are you interested in the 4xe powerplant/yes/no/why are you here)

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the math work out to justify a 4xe? 1620774922031

This whole thing is a fkin "HDDVD or Bluray" argument at high stakes, except one side is arguing that VHS is still the best option. We don't know the future, but we do know that petroleum based vehicles can't be the final solution. We may have picked the HD DVD option here, but at least we aren't collecting VHS tapes because we can still manually splice them.
Uh..............................ok. Just move to DFW from CA?

TexDevilDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xE
I didn't consider getting a 4xe since most of my drives are far beyond its 30-mile range. For example, in a week I'll head off to Grand Canyon's North Rim, a roughly 1,800-mile round trip with virtually no place one could recharge a vehicle conveniently. Even "around town" most of my drives are far in excess of 30 miles.

So I'm wondering about the economics of having a 4xe. From what I read, the list price for the 4xe is about $14,000 higher than the list price for my JL. I live in San Diego, the home of stratospheric gas prices, so let's say a gallon will cost me $4.00. That means I can buy 3,500 gallons with the $14,000. I'm getting about 24 mpg, so those 3,500 gallons translate into 84,000 road miles.

There simply is no way I could rack up 84,000 miles in 30-mile electrified chunks around town. (That would be 2,800 short trips, such as commutes.) Even if I could reach that many local trips, most of my miles still would be long-distance miles powered by gas. I might have to drive the better part of a million miles to recapture the $14,000 via the battery, and that's not even worth imagining.

So, for me, the 4xe seems to make no sense, given the large price differential. Have you, as a driver of a 4xe, calculated that your style of driving will allow you to recapture the $14,000?
I don't think you buy a Jeep to be economical, just my opinion. We bought the 4xE because it was my wife's dream vehicle. I was going to order the Rubicon with the diesel engine until we saw the 4xE was coming out. My wife works 9 miles from home so she gets to and from work on electric alone. On longer drives where the engine is being utilized, the MPG are as to be expected with a close to 6000lb box driving around. The price of a Rubicon with a diesel engine was very comparable to the 4xE with the options we added (same for both) - you have to compare apples to apples. If you were going to get a Sport, don't compare it to a 4xE Rubicon/Sahara. When you add in the $7,500 credit, it was actually less expensive than the Rubicon w/ disel engine.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Uh..............................ok. Just move to DFW from CA?
I'm not sure if this is a "why don't you just move to DFW from CA" or a "did you just move to dfw from ca?"

In either case, the answer is no, I've lived in DFW for over 20 years, most recently been here for the last 9 years.

Leather seats and body colored flares are not standard on the 4Xe. They are an additional cost. You do get a bunch of "stuff" standard on the 4Xe, but those two items are extra, at least according to the current version of the Jeep configurator. :)
Yea it's like the other guy said, it just depends on what options you want. If you compare rubicon to rubicon, the 4xe comes with some options standard that are upgrades to the regular rubicon (xfer case, audio+8.4 uconnect, LED lights) whereas the Sahara also has options that come standard on the 4xe but are upgrades on the regular sahara (body matched flares, leather seats, LED lights). I've never done the high sierra comparison myself because I wanted a rubicon but might've gone down to the sahara for the price difference.

If you have suggestions on a better way to format that, I'd be happy to make another version. I'm sure I'll have some downtime tomorrow.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Super economical for me. I have solar on the house already so free charging. 12 miles to work, with a free charger in the parking garage. I wanted a well equipped rubicon so really the price was cheaper after 7500 fed credit and 2500 state credit... and for my longer weekend trips to go wheel, sounds like a small price to pay in MPGs for 375 hp and 470 ft lb of torque. Math is very simple in my book

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I also didn't realize that the wheel/tire setup (non-Rubicon) on the 4xe isn't an option on the Sahara, or the next (non-Rubicon) model up, the Sahara Altitude, those both have 18x7.5 (in a few designs) with a 255/70, the 4xe Sahara and HA come with 20x8", with a 275/55 (like the $50K HA ICE ...)

Now, you may or may not want a 20" wheel, but it's clearly a more expensive setup, and the 275s look pretty awesome. Again, subjective, but that's also some additional "value" in the 4xe models. :)

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think the 392 and the 4xe may get very similar MPGs cruising on the highway. That makes sense as they are both operating on 4 cylinders and around the same weight.

Reactions: VNT

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I think the 392 and the 4xe may get very similar MPGs cruising on the highway. That makes sense as they are both operating on 4 cylinders and around the same weight.
392 requires premium and the in town mileage makes the big difference. Did they put cylinder deactivation in the 392?

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Did they put cylinder deactivation in the 392?
It has it, I think that's pretty much SOP for the 5.7 and 6.4L Hemi motors (regardless of the application). At least in our DD/RT there was a hard switch on the center stack to disable it quickly.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Yes, there is talk on the 392 section of the 4 cylinder light on the highway. What's good MGP for them is bad for us, lol. It might even do better on the highway but I don't think there is much data yet.

Sponsored

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, Cherokee
Super economical for me. I have solar on the house already so free charging. 12 miles to work, with a free charger in the parking garage. I wanted a well equipped rubicon so really the price was cheaper after 7500 fed credit and 2500 state credit... and for my longer weekend trips to go wheel, sounds like a small price to pay in MPGs for 375 hp and 470 ft lb of torque. Math is very simple in my book
We just signed up for solar to be added to our house to make a plug-in make more sense as well as reduce our brutal monthly electricity bill. Probably could have bought a lot of gas with that chunk of change, but long-term (particularly with federal and state incentives) it will make our electricity much cheaper. The house A/C blast of cold air feels great in the summer, but it feels like a punch to the gut with a bunch of dollars flying out the window.

Jeep's inability to squeeze some extra electric-only miles to hit the 25 mile floor eliminates the $1500 Massachusetts rebate incentive. The $50K+ price tag invalidates the incentive as well. If Jeeps makes the Gladiator 4xe, hopefully it can go at least 25 miles and have a configuration under $50K.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
We just signed up for solar to be added to our house to make a plug-in make more sense as well as reduce our brutal monthly electricity bill. Probably could have bought a lot of gas with that chunk of change, but long-term (particularly with federal and state incentives) it will make our electricity much cheaper. The house A/C blast of cold air feels great in the summer, but it feels like a punch to the gut with a bunch of dollars flying out the window.

Jeep's inability to squeeze some extra electric-only miles to hit the 25 mile floor eliminates the $1500 Massachusetts rebate incentive. The $50K+ price tag invalidates the incentive as well. If Jeeps makes the Gladiator 4xe, hopefully it can go at least 25 miles and have a configuration under $50K.
i will say, we did our solar to be a 105% system to use, ended up being a 98% system but we aren’t energy savers at all. The math from the salesman was about 5 years to break even, my actual math after 1.5 years shows it will be about 7.5 years. That said, the system should last 25+ years (replacing an inverter for 3k) and we plan to be here the next 15 at least.Very steep up front investment, but will certainly pay off if you stay in your house. We also are considering a Tesla if the tax credits come back from uncle Joe, a 6-8 panel addition should produce enough for our needs of both vehicles.
I sure love a summer electric bill going from $300 to $0 😁

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
i will say, we did our solar to be a 105% system to use, ended up being a 98% system but we aren’t energy savers at all. The math from the salesman was about 5 years to break even, my actual math after 1.5 years shows it will be about 7.5 years. That said, the system should last 25+ years (replacing an inverter for 3k) and we plan to be here the next 15 at least. Very steep up front investment, but will certainly pay off if you stay in your house. We also are considering a Tesla if the tax credits come back from uncle Joe, a 6-8 panel addition should produce enough for our needs of both vehicles.
I've been considering solar for a while but I've had to put too much into the house in general to pull that trigger just yet. Maybe in the next 5 years, but it will be very nice to cut those nasty summer power bills down to nothing. The other thing stopping me is that I might literally lose my mind if we have a week long power outage from a hurricane and I CANT USE THE POWER FROM MY SOLAR PANELS BECAUSE THEY ARE TIED TO THE POWER GRID AND AUTO SHUT DOWN DURING A BLACKOUT. How fucked is that? I should be able to disconnect during an outage and at least have a small battery for power storage. My options shouldn't be just tied in and no power during an outage, or totally off-grid which is a lot more expensive.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Most of us get 28+ miles. I don't know what's up with that EPA result of 21. I don't think I could get it to deplete that fast if I tried. Even Jeeps original 25 was low.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
i will say, we did our solar to be a 105% system to use, ended up being a 98% system but we aren’t energy savers at all. The math from the salesman was about 5 years to break even, my actual math after 1.5 years shows it will be about 7.5 years. That said, the system should last 25+ years (replacing an inverter for 3k) and we plan to be here the next 15 at least.Very steep up front investment, but will certainly pay off if you stay in your house. We also are considering a Tesla if the tax credits come back from uncle Joe, a 6-8 panel addition should produce enough for our needs of both vehicles.
You are living my dream. In Colorado and off the gird!
Sponsored