Sponsored

Can the JL be flat towed behind an RV ?

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can the new JL be towed behind an RV?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Number 8

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How did you deal with the battery disconnect (dual batteries)?

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I have seen an ocean blue JLUR towed behind the back of an RV in DC.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
How did you deal with the battery disconnect (dual batteries)?
What do you mean, dealing with the batteries?

The only connection I had to make to my battery was for a power connection for my AirForce One auxiliary brake system and that is simply a small power tap that can be taken directly off the battery or from the fuse box. Our brake system does not drain power and our lighting install uses a direct connection to the motorhome.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can the new JL be towed behind an RV?
Yes.

One Time:
  1. Add tow points to the Jeep.
  2. Install a tail and brake light package.
  3. Install an auxiliary brake system.

Before Each Tow:
  1. Connect tow bar.
  2. Connect safety cables/chains.
  3. Plug in connector for aux brakes.
  4. Connect aux brake break-away cable.
  5. Connect wiring harness for brake/tail lights.
  6. Put auto transmission in Park (manual trans in gear)
  7. Put transfer case in neutral.
  8. Ensure that the engine is off and park brake is disengaged.
  9. Check the brake/tail lights.
  10. Get in your motorhome and drive away.
Tow preparation, procedures, and precautions are listed in the Owner's Manual - read it.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Be aware when adding your towing hard points. If you plan to do some high ground clearance wheeling, be aware that the base plate goes under the stock bumper. The best alternative is to have a custom steel bumper fabricated with the tow bar hard points incorporated. I had Tomken in Buena Vista do one for our JK. When not towing the hard points were used for recovery rings.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I bought the Rockhard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot full size bumper and Blue OX points.
The base plates offered ar low and about $500. I will run a winch as well and the bumper will accommodate the VR10s Warn I'm installing.
I run a Brake Buddy Stealth system as I have another Toad.
I went the Sport S because I didn't want to drag the Rubicon weight around and I'll mostly trail and desert Cruz being in Southern California

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Number 8

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean, dealing with the batteries?

The only connection I had to make to my battery was for a power connection for my AirForce One auxiliary brake system and that is simply a small power tap that can be taken directly off the battery or from the fuse box. Our brake system does not drain power and our lighting install uses a direct connection to the motorhome.
My 2015 JK required disconnecting the battery prior to towing. I didn't need an auxiliary braking system and towed with a Roadmaster system.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I Just set my JLU Sahara up for towing, I considered bumper connections however after much research very few bumper manufactures actually authorize it. Considering the bumper attachment plate welds and gauge the over all consenses if you plan to do any significant towing install a towbar plate. I chose the Blue OX tow plate, it sits 1" below my bumper so you do not lose very much in the way of clearance. The Tow Plates attached to the side of the frame which is a stronger system. Installing a tow attachment actually made by the towbar manufactures provides me more peace of mind rather then a custom bumper from a small fabricator. Towing 5000lbs and $50K I want to know I have the safest system available.

I purchased the Ready Brute Elite towbar as it is rated for 8,000lbs (most are only 6,000lbs), however what I liked about the Ready brute it has a passive braking system built in, so as you brake on the motorhome it actuates a lever on the towbar that pulls on a cable attached you the brake pedal on the jeep. With this system you do not need any power from the jeep like most electronic system require, so battery drain is a non issue. This type of system is also easier on the brakes (wear and tear) than most of the electric brake systems. Additionally the brake and turn signals are thru wired from the motorhome so even the lights do not require power from the jeep. Total cost Tow Plate, Tow Bar, wiring kit (lights). $1700

Here is a great set of videos for the set-up with a older (2016) 2dr jJK, however it is basically the same (there are 4 part video for this).

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I too installed a Rockhard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot full-size bumper and Blue OX tow bar connection points. This system is designed for towing with the steel tow bar connection points bolted directly to the JLs frame. Though costly, this aluminum bumper is only 37 lb and includes a sunken winch plate and a skid plate below the bumper. It does not reduce your approach angle like the steel prongs of a traditional base plate. Though not related to towing our Jeep, this also allowed me to install a winch.

An added advantage of this installation is I was able to mount my tow-wire harness, auxiliary brake quick-connect air coupler, and our emergency breakaway braking unit all along the front face of the bumper. Kneeling on my bad knee is no longer required and connect or disconnect of the entire system takes less than 3 minutes. Large D-rings provide a super strong connection point for our safety cables.

For tow lighting, I chose to go with a CoolTech wire harness. A switch isolates the tow lights from the Jeep's electronics, using the Jeep's wiring and tail light bulbs to deliver illumination. Power for the lights is provided exclusively by the motorhome and the Jeep's brake lights now illuminate when our diesel coach's jake brake is activated for increased safety.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I first ordered the same Rockhard bumper however I shortly after canceled the order after talking to two of the larger RV dealers in the region who warned against bumper towing. My concern with the Rock hard and the LOD was the constant push and pull of the on the frame plate the tow attachment bolts to will put a lot of stress on that thin plate and welds where the bumper attaches. It also turns out that the Rockhard Patriot bumper sits lower than my tow plate. I did however buy the Barricade aluminum winch bumper which is a low profile and fit perfectly with the Blue OX tow plate and allowed me to install all brake and light attachments/wiring thru the face of the bumper.

There is a reason that MOST bumper manufactures/fabricators do not endorse or allow bumper towing with their bumpers, it is a huge liability and risk for them.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I Just set my JLU Sahara up for towing, I considered bumper connections however after much research very few bumper manufactures actually authorize it. Considering the bumper attachment plate welds and gauge the over all consenses if you plan to do any significant towing install a towbar plate. I chose the Blue OX tow plate, it sits 1" below my bumper so you do not lose very much in the way of clearance. The Tow Plates attached to the side of the frame which is a stronger system. Installing a tow attachment actually made by the towbar manufactures provides me more peace of mind rather then a custom bumper from a small fabricator. Towing 5000lbs and $50K I want to know I have the safest system available.

I purchased the Ready Brute Elite towbar as it is rated for 8,000lbs (most are only 6,000lbs), however what I liked about the Ready brute it has a passive braking system built in, so as you brake on the motorhome it actuates a lever on the towbar that pulls on a cable attached you the brake pedal on the jeep. With this system you do not need any power from the jeep like most electronic system require, so battery drain is a non issue. This type of system is also easier on the brakes (wear and tear) than most of the electric brake systems. Additionally the brake and turn signals are thru wired from the motorhome so even the lights do not require power from the jeep. Total cost Tow Plate, Tow Bar, wiring kit (lights). $1700

Here is a great set of videos for the set-up with a older (2016) 2dr jJK, however it is basically the same (there are 4 part video for this).

I have a question on your braking system. Do the brakes still work right without the Jeeps power assist since the jeep engine is not running?
Sponsored