Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I’m just a pup at 56. It’s sad when I’m beginning to realize that some old people are the same age as me!

I have found though, that the key to youth is immaturity. I try to live by that the best I can. No one is getting any younger.
You don't stop playing with toys because you grow old.

You grow old because you stop playing with toys
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The only people I see driving Porsches around here are 60+ and still have parted haircuts and pleated khakis. They NEVER drive them fast. Doctors, accountants and that guy who bought a 20 year old used one with yellow faded headlights, because he couldn’t afford it in 1985, and still can’t afford to fix or maintain it. I’m sure in places like CA and FL that there are plenty of people driving then as they should be.

As for me, I’ll take a Jeep or pickup anyday. Even if someone dropped millions in my account. I’m just not the flashy car kinda guy. I would buy a hell of a boat though. But it would still be a center console fishing boat, not some flashy sandbar sound machine.
It's true that it seems most Porsche owners are older folks. I'm in my 30's though and love mine ('16 Boxster Spyder). It's a proper Pcar with the engine from the 911... one very special boxster. It's a hoot. Probably slightly faster to 60 than my new 392XR will be, but it only weighs 2900 lb and makes 450 horsepower (tuned/exhaust). I drive it like I stole it every time. Probably the best value for the money in Porsche world currently.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Funny all the 2dr guys tell me they don’t get tippy off road? That raw power of the pentastar has it lifting a tire on flat, dry pavement. I’m sure it behaves different on steep, off camber hills though?
no lol. You lift the front if you kick hard if you have a rear LSD or rear locker. I lift my front a lot, I have videos climbing rocky steep hills where I need momentum and it lifts the front almost always. That is why I am getting a front locker. The driver on this video probably engaged his rear locker or has an LSD to get the most rear traction, and that's why he lifts a tire.

But dude. Did you even see what this guy did on this video? I mean most 4 door owners would tell me if I did this with my 2 door i'd be rolling all over the road in a split second.... the instability of the 2 door JL is a myth and it is mostly in your head. The 2 door JL is the most stable 2 door ever built and can't be compared with the older Jeeps and the 4 door is even more stable. A 2 door will roll over before a 4 door does. that's just physics. But this fear shouldn't keep people from buying 2 doors, or blatantly saying that offroading a 2 door is way too unstable. Because it isn't, it is an extremely capable Jeep. I was involved in an accident at 65 mph while driving a 2 door sport, hit on the passenger front side. Everyone kept asking me if I rolled over, cause it was a 2 door. No, we didn't roll.

Know the limitations of your vehicle, and use a winch when necessary. Don't try to be the big guy.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I resemble that remark…. 60+, my hair isn’t parted and mostly wear jeans. But one nice thing about getting old, you don’t have to make a choice, you can do both!

46665226-FD8D-41C1-A665-56CF7CCAD542.jpeg
3FF9BEFA-C95C-4E11-8858-A5231B1EA826.jpeg

As long as they’re both grey…
#Me Too
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? 2009-08-27 Garage Reorg... 010
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? 20201207_150142

OP
OP
RubiRed

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
no lol. You lift the front if you kick hard if you have a rear LSD or rear locker. I lift my front a lot, I have videos climbing rocky steep hills where I need momentum and it lifts the front almost always. That is why I am getting a front locker. The driver on this video probably engaged his rear locker or has an LSD to get the most rear traction, and that's why he lifts a tire.

But dude. Did you even see what this guy did on this video? I mean most 4 door owners would tell me if I did this with my 2 door i'd be rolling all over the road in a split second.... the instability of the 2 door JL is a myth and it is mostly in your head. The 2 door JL is the most stable 2 door ever built and can't be compared with the older Jeeps and the 4 door is even more stable. A 2 door will roll over before a 4 door does. that's just physics. But this fear shouldn't keep people from buying 2 doors, or blatantly saying that offroading a 2 door is way too unstable. Because it isn't, it is an extremely capable Jeep. I was involved in an accident at 65 mph while driving a 2 door sport, hit on the passenger front side. Everyone kept asking me if I rolled over, cause it was a 2 door. No, we didn't roll.

Know the limitations of your vehicle, and use a winch when necessary. Don't try to be the big guy.
This is a Rubicon (so no LSD) and the lockers were not engaged. The front lifted with a proper launch - just a tiny bit of tire chirp but not excessive. I am rolling on 37s and 2" spacer lift. The higher COG probably helped the front tires lift.

Offroad I totally imagine a 4 door is more planted on steep climbs. On flat ground when driven properly the my JLR even with lift is very stable. I don't feel like I'm going to tip. Body roll or pitch and dive...sure. Part of the reason I take all my vehicles to these Driver Skills event is so you can discover the limits in a safe environment.

The Tazer let me experience what it's like without ABS. I'm in my 30s and this is my first time experiencing no ABS. It was fun discovering threshold braking. You'll see at [1:56] in the video where I missed and locked up and plowed right through a cone. It's all in good fun and gave the instructors the giggles. :giggle: A safe place to learn the limits is key.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
This is a Rubicon (so no LSD) and the lockers were not engaged. The front lifted with a proper launch - just a tiny bit of tire chirp but not excessive. I am rolling on 37s and 2" spacer lift. The higher COG probably helped the front tires lift.

Offroad I totally imagine a 4 door is more planted on steep climbs. On flat ground when driven properly the my JLR even with lift is very stable. I don't feel like I'm going to tip. Body roll or pitch and dive...sure. Part of the reason I take all my vehicles to these Driver Skills event is so you can discover the limits in a safe environment.

The Tazer let me experience what it's like without ABS. I'm in my 30s and this is my first time experiencing no ABS. It was fun discovering threshold braking. You'll see at [1:56] in the video where I missed and locked up and plowed right through a cone. It's all in good fun and gave the instructors the giggles. :giggle: A safe place to learn the limits is key.
I can lift the driver tire on my 2 door with the rear LSD if I floor it and slightly turn my wheel. And they're 33s lol.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

I was just giving the 2dr homies a hard time, although sub 300hp wheelies don’t scream stability?

OP
OP
RubiRed

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
I sold mine recently. No more track days for me since the Jeep certainly isn't stable enough for that. 911s are kind of like the Wranglers from holding their value. I owned it for 6 years and sold it for more than I bought it for.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? E7BF7AE1-3EC4-4D58-A1BD-5867A483B083

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I sold mine recently. No more track days for me since the Jeep certainly isn't stable enough for that. 911s are kind of like the Wranglers from holding their value. I owned it for 6 years and sold it for more than I bought it for.

E7BF7AE1-3EC4-4D58-A1BD-5867A483B083.png
Same here, made money selling mine.... that would make a 911 even better than a Jeep resale wise. And the market is such that the guy that bought it from me last spring, could turn around and make a 10% profit right now !!! But its true that Targa4s are popular.

OP
OP
RubiRed

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, made money selling mine.... that would make a 911 even better than a Jeep resale wise. And the market is such that the guy that bought it from me last spring, could turn around and make a 10% profit right now !!! But its true that Targa4s are popular.
Yes it's nuts! The Porsche market is hot.

My Jeep also went up in value. I bought my 2018 JLR 6% under invoice. I've owned it for 3.5 years and drove 20K miles. If I sell it today privately (or even dealer trade in) the value is higher than what I bought it for. So my Jeep is doing pretty darn good too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I just sold my '20 JLUR I had for 2 years and put 25K miles on for a few thousand more than I bought it brand new OTD including mods and all...

jgemdoc

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 997 c2s -- 2022 rubicon on order
HAHA, just ordered a 2022 rubicon. its gonna be my daily and let my 997 take break from daily driving. ill let you know how it keeps up after run the daily set of twisties that i normally get the 997 a bit loose on.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I work on Porsches like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? IMG_5808

On the other hand, there is another guy that races Porsches at the same PCA events and he restored this. Usually I bring my RV, so does he thus we park next to each other.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? IMG_5820

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Your post convinced me to put mine up on the market (2006 Cayman S with 5k original miles). If nothing else, I'll test the market and someone might get a really nice Porsche for a lot less than new. I'll post if it sells.

I could probably sell my MOAB for more than I paid for it, but I'm too hooked on it to consider selling. Prices are crazy right now, but it's equally insane buying brand new...
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? 004
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? Cayman S
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? 045
Jeep Wrangler JL Can the Jeep keep up with the Porsches? 046

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Your post convinced me to put mine up on the market (2006 Cayman S with 5k original miles). If nothing else, I'll test the market and someone might get a really nice Porsche for a lot less than new. I'll post if it sells.

I could probably sell my MOAB for more than I paid for it, but I'm too hooked on it to consider selling. Prices are crazy right now, but it's equally insane buying brand new...
Nice Cayman, with that mileage, it should sell real quick. Don’t give it away, market is hot.

E9B69261-7462-425B-9B9A-64E6772FAB86.jpeg
Sponsored