First Name
Tez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gobi Rubicon
Occupation
Administrative Assistant
Eddie Oh, WAY A Life youtube channel, got a basic Jeep just to go offroading with. True, it's better with some additions like tires, a lift, and some lockers, but his point was that anyone can go offroad in a base wrangler and still have fun.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Right now I own a 2018 JLU Sport S 2.0 which I'm pretty sure it has BLD and LSD. At the moment I rent it out part time on Turo to help make the payments. Other than that should I really start investing money and time into it for an Overland build. I live on an island right now, and i am moving back to mainland soon so i can actually make some dope trips with my wife, been dreaming about overlanding the past few months just wondering if the sport is ready for me to get started or if i should wait and invest into something else.
Depending on what state you plan to land, dope may or may not be illegal, especially depending on the quantities. Might re-think your plan.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

you are literally living my dream dude, i think im just overthinking it and way to excited, thanks for your input!!!
I did the same thing in the beginning. I was on the forums reading about people buying 60K rubicons and then pulling the axles and swapping them with 1 ton's. Putting 20-30K into these expensive jeeps for no reason other then resell value. With my thought process even if i where to swap to make a rock crawler and drop that kind of money for the gear it takes to run 40" or bigger tires atleast i didnt spend 60K at the start. take your time and learn what you need when taking trips and then start doing your improvements.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I think youā€™re underestimating your Jeep, the wrangler in stock form is still one of the most capable vehicles that rolls of the showroom floor in any trim level. Just make sure you have appropriate tires for the terrain and youā€™ll be all good, no need to spend 20k on it. But of course there is always a difference between needs and wants.

Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
your right i didnt really think about the plus of starting from a fairly basic model having all the customization options.
I asked a couple Jeep dealers what the most popular Jeep Wrangler models are sold. They all said it was the Sport model simply because most dedicated off-roaders by these because they will install better tires, axles, lockers, suspensions, bumpers, accessories. Buying a Rubicon for them doesn't make sense since they are replacing most components with better systems anyway. The Rubicon is great for those wanting the most "capable" factory Wrangler off the show room floor.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to add a degree of confidence and comfort to your overlanding, get a $199 pair of swaybar quick disconnects. You will be amazed how much nicer your Jeep drives over ruts and rocks.

This is a fairly easy-to-do mod that works very well, and one that you cannot do to 99% of other vehicles out there.

Enjoy!
Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 28E74E7C-89E8-42B6-8CAF-8B06DE0A602B

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 20B20666-14F3-45DC-AE51-7A37CA11D3CB

eveg33

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys
If you want to add a degree of confidence and comfort to your overlanding, get a $199 pair of swaybar quick disconnects. You will be amazed how much nicer your Jeep drives over ruts and rocks.

This is a fairly easy-to-do mod that works very well, and one that you cannot do to 99% of other vehicles out there.

Enjoy!
Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 20B20666-14F3-45DC-AE51-7A37CA11D3CB

Iā€™m interested and glad you mentioned thisā€¦can you please elaborate on this? How does this work exactly? Also do you have a link for the product?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m interested and glad you mentioned thisā€¦can you please elaborate on this? How does this work exactly? Also do you have a link for the product?
You replace the fixed, bolted-on OE swaybar links with a pair of adjustable units that use tapered stainless pegs and a quick release pin.

When you want to ā€œdisconnect,ā€ you need to get under the front of the Jeep, release the pin on each side, rotate the links 180 degrees, and secure them against the peg at the top of the strut. If the Jeep is parked on a level surface, the entire procedure takes less than 5 minutes.

When you want to reconnect, make sure to stop on a level surface and reverse the operation. Again, it is key that the Jeep is on level surface. It makes all the difference between an easy 5-minute reconnect, or a frustrating half an hour.

I went with JKS Manufacturing; I really like them. But there are other brands out there.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/jks-man...8j8-82geBOKa_6iGHKiecgVmZVGLI30RoCzWwQAvD_BwE

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s a how-to video. Keep in mind they come in different lengths, for Jeeps with stock suspension and for those with a lift.

Sponsored

eveg33

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys
You replace the fixed, bolted-on OE swaybar links with a pair of adjustable units that use tapered stainless pegs and a quick release pin.

When you want to ā€œdisconnect,ā€ you need to get under the front of the Jeep, release the pin on each side, rotate the links 180 degrees, and secure them against the peg at the top of the strut. If the Jeep is parked on a level surface, the entire procedure takes less than 5 minutes.

When you want to reconnect, make sure to stop on a level surface and reverse the operation. Again, it is key that the Jeep is on level surface. It makes all the difference between an easy 5-minute reconnect, or a frustrating half an hour.

I went with JKS Manufacturing; I really like them. But there are other brands out there.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/jks-man...8j8-82geBOKa_6iGHKiecgVmZVGLI30RoCzWwQAvD_BwE
Thatā€™s awesome. Thank you for the info! Will be considering this myself. Great thread by the way OP.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thatā€™s awesome. Thank you for the info! Will be considering this myself. Great thread by the way OP.
Just keep in the back of your mind that the weather conditions might not be perfect when you're wanting to get off of the trail. You'll either have to wait out the hail / thunderstorm / whatever, climb under your Jeep in those conditions, or continue driving really slowly.

I'm having flashbacks to a horrible hail storm / flash flood that hit at the end of a run last summer. People were almost crying as the entire group was trying to get off of the mountain while we watched the trail getting washed away. Driving like that without sway bars?? No thanks.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You have the tool you needšŸ‘. Your stock JL is more capable than 99+% of the rigs folks used to use to go everywhere. Believe it or not folks actually used Jeeps to do what is now called ā€œoverlandingā€ for many decades before the first ā€œRubiconā€ rolled off the production linešŸ˜. These were FAR less capable vehicles than what you already have. Get some decent off road rubber (KO2ā€™s or similar) throw your junk in it and go. If youā€™re going alone, throw an entrenching tool, snatch strap and a come along in as well. With those and your spare you can self rescue almost anywhere IF you should get stuck. Iā€™ve been fooling around with this stuff for 50 years. For the last twenty years I run a winch on the front just ā€˜cause Iā€™m old and lazy. Iā€™ve been in a LOT of places most folks wonā€™t ever go, only got hung up a couple time and then was able to extricate myself. I love to hunt and fish way beyond where they pavement end. My Jeeps (And before them, my IH Scouts) have never let me down. I guarantee you your stock rig is far more capable than you are. The most important tool for off road is the one between your ears-if you fail to use that, then youā€™ll need extra ā€œmodsā€ to save you.

Last edited:

eveg33

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys
Just keep in the back of your mind that the weather conditions might not be perfect when you're wanting to get off of the trail. You'll either have to wait out the hail / thunderstorm / whatever, climb under your Jeep in those conditions, or continue driving really slowly.

I'm having flashbacks to a horrible hail storm / flash flood that hit at the end of a run last summer. People were almost crying as the entire group was trying to get off of the mountain while we watched the trail getting washed away. Driving like that without sway bars?? No thanks.
Didnā€™t have that in mind. Good insight too, thanks John.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
People overland with Subaru Outbacks with just AT tires slapped on. A wrangler Any Wrangler is an insanely more capable rig and we have had the good fortune of taking it to some of the remotest places in our area reliably.
We dont go rock crawling, and intentionally take the safest line when possible. The idea is to get to the destination and back safely and have fun with the family.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 1653498546963
Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 1653498613378

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 1653498670831
Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? 1653498693379
Sponsored