Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland?

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangle JLU Sport S 2.0, 03 VTX 1800 C
Right now I own a 2018 JLU Sport S 2.0 which I'm pretty sure it has BLD and LSD. At the moment I rent it out part time on Turo to help make the payments. Other than that should I really start investing money and time into it for an Overland build. I live on an island right now, and i am moving back to mainland soon so i can actually make some dope trips with my wife, been dreaming about overlanding the past few months just wondering if the sport is ready for me to get started or if i should wait and invest into something else.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Lots of people overland in Subarus / whatever, so you're starting from a much better place than many.

With a Sport you get to decide exactly how you want to build it. Full overlander or something between that and a rock crawler is up to you. Hopefully mine will eventually be a decent rocklander.

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of people overland in Subarus / whatever, so you're starting from a much better place than many.

With a Sport you get to decide exactly how you want to build it. Full overlander or something between that and a rock crawler is up to you. Hopefully mine will eventually be a decent rocklander.
your right i didnt really think about the plus of starting from a fairly basic model having all the customization options.

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All wranglers are very capable. Most vehicle performance is determined by tires. Get some proper rubber on your Jeep and go have fun.
just put on BFG ko2 so hopefully thats a god start lol

Sponsored

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I guess it's dependent on how difficult of trails you plan to hit. That said, the answer is an unequivocal YES. I run the same setup with rubi takeoffs and have done Fins'n'Things, Imogene Pass, and tons of trails throughout Colorado while maintaining great on-road manners.

Slopeside_Kingston.jpg

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You don't have to build anything. Put your camping stuff and a cooler in the back and start driving. It's really that easy.

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess it's dependent on how difficult of trails you plan to hit. That said, the answer is an unequivocal YES. I run the same setup with rubi takeoffs and have done Fins'n'Things, Imogene Pass, and tons of trails throughout Colorado while maintaining great on-road manners.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? Slopeside_Kingston
love it man, did you buy the take offs used i seen that a lot of people are reusing this option, is it because it cheaper?

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
love it man, did you buy the take offs used i seen that a lot of people are reusing this option, is it because it cheaper?
Yeah, in December 2018 I paid $1,200 for wheels/tires and rockrails off a Rubicon that upgraded at only 500 miles.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Ah, gotta answer that with another question. What do you have in mind when you say “overland”?

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, gotta answer that with another question. What do you have in mind when you say “overland”?
Dirt roads seem fun and all, but im definitely trying to go places not very many people have been, trails that might require spotters or require weeks of planning for the trip maybe needing an extra tank also. definitely still working on my skills but thats what i want to work up to one day.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Been overlanding my JLUsport s since the first week i bought it. took some time to get it upgraded but it been a beast. You dont need to have 20K in axles lockers and all that bs. just get out and have some fun. i started out ground tenting then moved to the roof rack and RTT. After a a years worth of trips i decided it was time to add a small lift and belly skids. Another year and a hald running like that and i recently when with 35's instead of the take off rubi wheels and tires i was running. last year I did a trip with my brother that encluded 13 days of wheeling and camping. Went from fire roads to powder sand to mud and rocks to high speed desert driving. all in a single trip. what a blast!
Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? IMG_2874.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? IMG_0902.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? IMG_6676.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? IMG_6712.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Can The 2018 Sport S Really Overland? IMG_3423.JPG

OP
OP
Donevan.Ausborn

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been overlanding my JLUsport s since the first week i bought it. took some time to get it upgraded but it been a beast. You dont need to have 20K in axles lockers and all that bs. just get out and have some fun. i started out ground tenting then moved to the roof rack and RTT. After a a years worth of trips i decided it was time to add a small lift and belly skids. Another year and a hald running like that and i recently when with 35's instead of the take off rubi wheels and tires i was running. last year I did a trip with my brother that encluded 13 days of wheeling and camping. Went from fire roads to powder sand to mud and rocks to high speed desert driving. all in a single trip. what a blast!

you are literally living my dream dude, i think im just overthinking it and way to excited, thanks for your input!!!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I doubt you will find many obstacles that will give you any trouble. A stock sport s is more capable than most buyers can handle.
Sponsored