Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yeah, I really haven't dealt with this. It's the seemingly random shutoff when it's been idling for random amounts of time (sometimes a minute, sometimes a few, and most times it doesn't shut off at all). I don't know what the "fail" rate is but it's probably about 10-20% of the times I push the brakes in. There's no consistency I can find.
Take the vehicle in to have the remote start system checked. The brake safety feature should not be random. If your system indeed has it, it should work 100% of the time any time remote start is enabled and you depress the brake pedal before pressing the start/stop button. Again, this is all speculation depending on what remote start system you have in your Jeep. As mentioned above, the oem/factory system simply requires the start/stop button to be pressed within 15 minutes or it shuts the vehicle off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Thanks. I'll have them take a look when I get my oil change. Appreciate the feedback!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I wouldnā€™t touch the taillights until you get the remote start fixed. What happens when youā€™re in traffic, you let off the brakes to move, you canā€™t... and the impatient driver behind canā€™t see your taillights? :facepalm:

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
I wouldnā€™t touch the taillights until you get the remote start fixed. What happens when youā€™re in traffic, you let off the brakes to move, you canā€™t... and the impatient driver behind canā€™t see your taillights? :facepalm:
See, I've never had a problem with AS/S. It shuts off and comes back in without fail. It's only the very first brake depress that ever plays roulette with me.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Factory/OEM remote start runs for 15 minutes and then shuts off if the ignition start/stop button is not pressed. The vehicle will not idle until empty.
Thatā€™s what I said, I used the word ā€˜in caseā€™. In case you didnā€™t catch that.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thatā€™s what I said, I used the word ā€˜in caseā€™. In case you didnā€™t catch that.
You said the vehicle "would just idle until empty", meaning it would run out of gas. That is incorrect. It would run for 15 minutes and then shut off, unless the start/stop button was pushed.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@davidafuller for the 2nd question,

This is likely your issue ( I can replicate it on my ā€˜18 with the remote start from the factory):

If you remote start your Wrangler, you have to push the start button in order to drive the vehicle. Donā€™t touch the brake until after you push the start/stop button. If your foot is on the brake when you push it, the Jeep thinks that you want to turn the engine off.

Conduct this experiment: remote start the Jeep and then push the button with your foot on the brake (it should cut the engine off) and then try it without touching the brake.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you remote start your Wrangler, you have to push the start button in order to drive the vehicle. Donā€™t touch the brake until after you push the start/stop button. If your foot is on the brake when you push it, the Jeep thinks that you want to turn the engine off.
My 2020 doesn't do this. I have a habit of always depressing the brake pedal when I get in my vehicle. Doing so does not turn the engine off if remote start is active. It didn't on my 2015 JKU didn't either.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 doesn't do this. I have a habit of always depressing the brake pedal when I get in my vehicle. Doing so does not turn the engine off if remote start is active. It didn't on my 2015 JKU didn't either.
I have that habit too, because on a normal startup, it wonā€™t crank unless you have your foot on the brake while pushing the start/stop button.

But my ā€˜18 JL cuts the engine off if I hop in after a remote start and push the start button with the brake depressed. It did catch me by surprise the first few times that I used remote start because I was used to jumping in, depressing the brake, and then pushing the start button. But it will cut the engine every time I do it after remote start. The sequence that I have to do is: remote start, unlock the door, push start button, and then sheā€™s ready to drive.
Thatā€™s surprising to me that others have different results but thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
@davidafuller for the 2nd question,

This is likely your issue ( I can replicate it on my ā€˜18 with the remote start from the factory):

Conduct this experiment: remote start the Jeep and then push the button with your foot on the brake (it should cut the engine off) and then try it without touching the brake.
I just noticed one thing you said: "If you remote start your Wrangler, you have to push the start button in order to drive the vehicle." That is not true for whatever remote start was installed in my '19 JLUS. I've never once had to push start to drive.

That said, I started it remotely today at lunch, and when I got in, I hit the start button (expecting it to shut off), and as I suspected, it shut off.

I'm guessing the dealer cheaped out and did not install the OEM/factory remote start. I guess I'll just have them take a look when they change the oil. Thanks guys.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That is not true for whatever remote start was installed in my '19 JLUS. I've never once had to push start to drive.
Definitely not OEM/factory. You definitely have something weird going on.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
1. I have the same configuration.

2. Can someone tell me why, after I remote start my 2019 JLUS (dealer installed after I bought but as part of the sale negotiation) and push in the brake for the first time, every once in a while the car just shuts off?

Fuel levels impact this.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can someone tell me why, after I remote start my 2019 JLUS (dealer installed after I bought but as part of the sale negotiation) and push in the brake for the first time, every once in a while the car just shuts off?
This was explained above. Your dealer likely installed an aftermarket remote start system. It's a safety feature with aftermarket remote start systems. In vehicles with this type of system, stepping on the brake without either turning the ignition key to run or pressing the start/stop button will shut the vehicle off because it is not ready to drive. It prevents anyone getting in without the key from driving off with the vehicle. If this feature isn't working 100% of the time, then there's likely an issue. Again, I'm referring to aftermarket remote start systems.
Sponsored