Sponsored

Can someone please explain why the rubicon sits higher?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Is a 2 inch lifted Sahara the same exact height as a 2 inch lifted Rubicon?

Looking at getting 37x13.50s on my Sahara.

has a 2 inch mopar lift and 35s right now. looks like Id have the room to turn full lock with 37s.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

has a 2 inch mopar lift and 35s right now. looks like Id have the room to turn full lock with 37s.
Most lift companies base there height on Rubi . So a 2” lift gives Rubi 2”, and sport Sahara will get 3,5 ish out of it.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
There are 2 important differences when trying to fit bigger tires on a sahara compared to the Rubi.

- As mentioned the Rubi fenders are an inch higher
- the Rubi axles are wider

As Word302 noted the final height of all wranglers will be the same from a lift, but the Rubi will have more room for the bigger tires due to my notes above.

The real question is what do you want to do with it once you put 37s on. If it will simply be a daily driver, and you get the correct wheel back spacing, you should be fine.

if you want to do serious trails, i would expect you will need to do some trimming / replacement on the fender liners, possibly need higher fenders. This will be tough to say for sure without seeing how much flex you get out of the lifted rig, and the 37s with wheels.

Final thought - this might just be me, but i have a sahara as well. While i love it, i would be worried about doing serious trails with 37s and the front axle. I am sure others have better experience to correct / corroborate my concerns.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Would love to run 37s on my sport but my gears say NO! And the wife would say No to new gears, so 35s it is! :( :(

Maybe some Rubicon 44s will end up in my driveway someday but until they do I can only imagine what 37s would look like on my rig.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Would love to run 37s on my sport but my gears say NO! And the wife would say No to new gears, so 35s it is! :( :(

Maybe some Rubicon 44s will end up in my driveway someday but until they do I can only imagine what 37s would look like on my rig.
Ive never understood why we'd have to regear. But Im not big into going off roading so I can only assume with 37s youd have a high likelyhood of breaking stuff on the trail?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Ive never understood why we'd have to regear. But Im not big into going off roading so I can only assume with 37s youd have a high likelyhood of breaking stuff on the trail?
So gearing would be an issue. Your gears provide the leverage to translate the output driveshaft in to something other than a 1:1 ratio. The bigger and heavier the tire, the more leverage is required to turn the tire.

So the gearing is only a part of why I would worry about serious off-roading with my Sahara front axle. (both gear ratio as well as the strength of the gears themselves) The other issue is the strength of the axle shafts.

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer

Also remember the rubicon has different fenders. Which will effect clearance and travel.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Just going by the title,. Is this like when the customer in front of you in line at the deli asks "Why is this sandwich so big?"
Sponsored