Can someone explain (Rhino)lining

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Ok, the last time I had a Jeep was almost 20 years ago. Rhino lining was just getting going for truck beds. Now I have seen people talking about doing an entire Jeep (inside and out).

What benefits does this give you other then looks? Is is rust protection? And if so can you line the undercarriage?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Lining the hardtop or the floor pan underneath the carpet can help immensely with sound deadening of both wind and road noise if such things matter to you.

OP
OP

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Lining the hardtop or the floor pan underneath the carpet can help immensely with sound deadening of both wind and road noise if such things matter to you.
So you would pull the carpet, spray the liner everywhere possible, then replace the carpet? Does it also act as an insulation barrier?

Anyone know which is better for noise, rhinolining or dynamat?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So you would pull the carpet, spray the liner everywhere possible, then replace the carpet? Does it also act as an insulation barrier?

Anyone know which is better for noise, rhinolining or dynamat?
Yes. You can also roll/brush it on. Yes, it has some insulation properties as well. As far as noise cancellation, dynamat or a similar product designed for sound dampening would be better because it’s designed specifically for that purpose. Bed liner products are primarily designed to protect the surface from corrosion and impact damage.

Tod13

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU with Dog
I'm actually looking at Line-X for my 2018 JLU.

One important thing is to distinguish between home-brew finishes of any brand, vendor spray on-only, and vendor correct prep and spray.

For the vendor install with correct prep for Line-X, the benefits (and drawbacks) I hear are:
  1. Easy clean up (different formula than bedliner, that cleans more easily)
  2. No dents, dings, or scrapes (but the finish is textured, which many people dislike)
  3. No fading and can match/mix any color (needs UV protection option)
  4. More sound insulation (but adds around 100 pounds, which isn't that big a deal)
  5. Rust resistance (but needs correct prep, which is not cheap, and you need a vendor who is used to doing this)
  6. Lasts forever (but lasts forever, choose wisely)
Only 2 and 4 is true for the other options, as far as I know.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
About 7 yrs ago it was really the thing to do. Everyone had been kelvaring their jeeps from bumper to bumper inside and out. but now its not as popular as it was. even star wood motors which used to do about 5 to 7 a week told me at a show in Dallas 2 weeks ago that they maybe do 3 a month. It now has been several years and people are finding out that it is starting to fad event though they were told it had UV in it to stop stop it from fading. and if you do get a small dent in the body of it or even a door ding which it will even though say it wont you still cant have those guys use those tools and pop the dents out You have to replace the whole panel and then have it sprayed again. I am just glad i didn't do it 5 yrs ago when i thought about doing it. it was about 5500 to inside and out. now you can get it done inside and out for 3000. thats how much it dropped in price because the demand for it not there anymore. If i was you i would wait but its your jeep but they are now seeing the Kevlar fading. nothing can sit out in the sun for years day after day in the Texas for sure and not fade. and it doesn't look good when it starts to fade in spots. thats my opioin and what i have personally seen before you jump on me for telling what i see everyday

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
I have a follow up question, has anyone lined the inside of their hardtops with a sound deadener/ceramic coating for insulation? Did it make any kind of a difference?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
That would have just more weight everything gets heavy when you start using Kevlar

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
I had my CJ interior done 17 years ago, but it was an under the table deal.... wish I would have never done it (there was no warranty and it was SUPER thin (like I have rubbed it off in places)). It has faded bad, but hell it was 17 years in TX, OK, and FL sun 90% of the time with no top. So the fading I was ok with.

However what I didn't find out till about 2 years ago was the prep was crap, so I now have rust holes in both driver and passenger floor boards. I will end up stripping it all out and putting Raptor (do it yourself) in at some point (once I get my JLU, and the CJ is no longer my DD). I will admit it looked really nice, and there was SOME sound dampening, but in an old CJ meh. Personally I would rather do it myself, because then I know A. It was done right and the thickness I want, and B. if something goes wrong well I can just chalk it up to a new experience. Personally I HATE letting someone else (who usually doesn't care) touch my jeep.
Sponsored