Sponsored

Can someone explain how the dual top works?

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Does anyone have pictures of the JL with the top down and all 4 doors off? Wondering what soft top door surround has to be removed in order for the doors to be off.
Sponsored

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
You don’t need to take any parts of the soft top off to remove the doors...

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
So I'm about to purchase the new 2018 JL Sahara and it arrived today at the dealer. I got the dual-top and I saw the huge box in the back seat. Are you telling me I have to fully assemble the soft-top???????? A 48k ride and there's still work to be done. wtf.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm about to purchase the new 2018 JL Sahara and it arrived today at the dealer. I got the dual-top and I saw the huge box in the back seat. Are you telling me I have to fully assemble the soft-top???????? A 48k ride and there's still work to be done. wtf.
How else would you like them to send both tops home with you?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’m guessing you bought a wrangler because you thought it’d be cool but did no research on what you were buying?

As stated above how else are they going to ship both a vehicle with interchangeable tops? As far as the soft top goes, there is nothing to assemble with the top, however you do need to install the door surrounds and attach the soft top frame to the rear sport bar.

If that’s too much to handle, then you should probably sell it for a Hyundai.

Sponsored

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
Some "Richards" in this group, I see. I was told by the dealer, who apparently was wrong, that the soft-top would be installed under the hard-top. Guess not.
Doesn't look too bad.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Some "Richards" in this group, I see. I was told by the dealer, who apparently was wrong, that the soft-top would be installed under the hard-top. Guess not.
Doesn't look too bad.

What would you expect when you come on a web forum whining about paying $48k for your Jeep and having to install the soft top... Besides, you need to have a thick skin to get along on forums.

That said it sounds like you were accidentally (I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt) provided inaccurate information about the top. The JK’s came from the factory with the soft tops installed under the hard top for shipping purposes. Good luck swapping tops, and if you can get help removing the hard top utilize it. While it’s possible to remove yourself it is a bit ungainly and having an extra set of hands is useful.

DJAL2015

First Name
DJAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SAHARA
Hardtop will be installed along with most of the soft top. The soft top will most likely be mounted to the roll cage and gathered at the back. In order to remove the soft top from the cargo area you will need to remove the hardtop, then either re-install the hardtop or finish the installation of the soft top. For the soft top, you'll need to do some assembly like mount the door frames and rear retainers, but nothing difficult.

This is covered in the owner's manual, page 87-89.

Do you happen to know how the soft top/hard top works???can I leave the soft top underneath and then place the hard top on top of it??

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The OP lives in Oregon so the dual top group would be a good option for them.

If they move to Florida though they’ll only need the soft top and most of the time not even that.

Easy choice, just move about 2,300 miles East South/East!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
yep I'm a newb who has never owned a jeep. Can someone explain how the dual top works? you take the hard top off
like i nall the videos I see, and then you have to "install" the soft top I assume? Is this hard to do? thks
This post was from a while back. The OP may have gotten an answer by now, but people reading this may have similar questions.

* The Dual Top is, as I understand it, only a 4 door JL Option.

* If you order the Dual Top option the (premium) soft top and all its components will come to you in an enormous box, inside your vehicle, that takes up pretty much the entire area behind the fronts seats, with the back seats down: barring some space above the box (that might block the rear view mirror if you fill it). Consider that if traveling distances to pick up your JL that might involve you taking luggage for overnight stay as you return home. People who said otherwise above, I think, are referring to how the Dual Top came to the owner in JK purchases.

* You don't "add" the (basic) soft top. And this thought is not splitting hairs. Your purchase by default comes with a basic soft top. If you upgrade to a premium soft top you "give back" the basic soft top to FCA (for them to outfit another JL with) to subsidize the cost of your premium soft top. If you get the Dual top the same "backsies" of the basic soft top to FCA happens, which subsidizes your hard top/premium soft top purchase.

* Anyone interested, as asked above, in seeing the vehicle with doors/top off can do so in the vehicle builder at the FCA website. As you build your Wrangler, a picture of it, with its features will appear half way down the screen on the right side. You can enlarge this picture and/or have it appear with the top and/or doors off, from multiple angles .

* Storage of the hard top has had many excellent posts on the forum. From carts with wheels to ceiling pulley systems to devices for removing the top and storing it, sometimes along with the doors, I recommend using the search feature for more information.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sponsored

JEFFREY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP MOAB 2016 BMW M4 CV
Orrrrrr, you can bite the bullet and go for the Sky Top which is way way easier.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Hardtop will be installed along with most of the soft top. The soft top will most likely be mounted to the roll cage and gathered at the back. In order to remove the soft top from the cargo area you will need to remove the hardtop, then either re-install the hardtop or finish the installation of the soft top. For the soft top, you'll need to do some assembly like mount the door frames and rear retainers, but nothing difficult.

This is covered in the owner's manual, page 87-89.
The soft top doesn't come installed at all on the JL. It comes in a giant box that fills up the entire back of the Jeep with the seat folded down, at least it did on my 4 door. I don't think you coulld fit the hard top on with even the frame of the soft top attached.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Taking my time and dicking around, I just installed the soft top in about 45 min. It really isn’t hard, hardest part is putting the soft top itself on the brackets and gettting it lined up. But even that only takes a couple minutes, just need to muscle it into place.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Orrrrrr, you can bite the bullet and go for the Sky Top which is way way easier.
Sure, but it looks ugly as can be with the doors and side windows out. And the sky top doesn't go all the way back.
Sponsored