Sponsored

Can someone explain how the dual top works?

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
yep I'm a newb who has never owned a jeep. Can someone explain how the dual top works? you take the hard top off
like i nall the videos I see, and then you have to "install" the soft top I assume? Is this hard to do? thks
Sponsored

dlobell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara
yep I'm a newb who has never owned a jeep. Can someone explain how the dual top works? you take the hard top off
like i nall the videos I see, and then you have to "install" the soft top I assume? Is this hard to do? thks
Yes and no it isnt hard

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Hardtop will be installed along with most of the soft top. The soft top will most likely be mounted to the roll cage and gathered at the back. In order to remove the soft top from the cargo area you will need to remove the hardtop, then either re-install the hardtop or finish the installation of the soft top. For the soft top, you'll need to do some assembly like mount the door frames and rear retainers, but nothing difficult.

This is covered in the owner's manual, page 87-89.

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Hardtop will be installed along with most of the soft top. The soft top will most likely be mounted to the roll cage and gathered at the back. In order to remove the soft top from the cargo area you will need to remove the hardtop, then either re-install the hardtop or finish the installation of the soft top. For the soft top, you'll need to do some assembly like mount the door frames and rear retainers, but nothing difficult.

This is covered in the owner's manual, page 87-89.
ok. is this also possible to add in later? or are there special brackets etc involved that would really want it done in factory?

Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I would say you want the hard top factory so they run the wiring and tubing for wiper/washer.
I think OP is referring to adding soft top after delivery to hard top only.

If that’s the case, OP, check prices. MOPAR/ OEM soft top and door surrounds (rear retainers are part of the body) and soft top frame is muy dinero!

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I think OP is referring to adding soft top
If that’s the case, OP, check prices. MOPAR/ OEM soft top and door surrounds (rear retainers are part of the body) and soft top frame is muy dinero!
If OP is patient there will be complete soft top systems popping up on CL sooner or later just like the JK.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
You’ll want to figure out where you’ll put the hard top when it’s not on if you’re short on space. If you put blankets over and under it to prevent scratching, it fits neatly on its side in the back corner of a garage. That way you can drive right “into” it and park.
I tried a block and tackle pulley for a while, but that ended poorly one day. :(

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Dual top or hardtop is better if you want to save money in the long run. It's way cheaper to add the soft top than add the hardtop. The wiper stalk w/rear wiper/washer and wiring needs to be added to make the hardtop fully functional. Plus getting a factory hardtop later will be expensive plus high shipping cost. I would wait until Bestop is done making soft top options before committing to the dual top. I prefer the look of the Trektop vs the factory tops.

If you did get the dual tops they recommend taking the soft top out of the vehicle to prevent damage??? It's mounted under the hard top. You do have to take off the whole hardtop and remove the factory soft top assembly. Pain in the arse. If you have any desire for the hardtop get it with the vehicle from the factory. Also make sure if you get dual tops you get all the windows and parts. Mine was missing the frames for the doors and I had a hell of a time getting them later from the dealer

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
ok. is this also possible to add in later? or are there special brackets etc involved that would really want it done in factory?
You'll be able to add a complete soft top later. I would figure at least $1,500 for a complete set up whether Mopar or Aftermarket maybe cheaper or find one from a fellow JL owner.

Remember with the dual top, you get an upgraded Premium soft top for $2,195.

Freedom top is $1,095 so for an additional $1,100 you also get a Premium soft top.

Sponsored

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
You'll be able to add a complete soft top later. I would figure at least $1,500 for a complete set up whether Mopar or Aftermarket maybe cheaper or find one from a fellow JL owner.

Remember with the dual top, you get an upgraded Premium soft top for $2,195.

Freedom top is $1,095 so for an additional $1,100 you also get a Premium soft top.
If your leasing it makes sense to get duel because it minimal in payment

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
yep I'm a newb who has never owned a jeep.
Can someone explain how the dual top works? you take the hard top off
The Dual Top purchase involves you getting a hard top, a premium soft top, and essentially in its pricing model, giving back to FCA the base soft top that comes standard.

For some trim levels, like I believe the Sahara and Rubicon, options exist to have this hard top match the color of your vehicle, for additional monies, and even get the tan soft top (which only comes as a premium, not a base soft top.)

(Disclaimer: I got the Dual Top with hard and soft top in black. What works for me might not work for others.)

If you go with the dual top it's my understanding that the soft top comes in a humongous box that requires the back seats of the vehicle to be down. For those of us picking up our Wranglers at dealers distant from our home, consider this fact in not packing for the trip much beyond what fits in the front seat.

You can always buy the soft top later, either from FCA or what I am sure will be an assortment of aftermarket producers who will have products within about a year I'd guess, that fit that JL, and if history is any indication, will offer comparable quality to FCA (who doesn't make their own tops) for less money, or more quality for the same money. This is not to trash FCA's designs or improvements that need to be noted on all tops in the JL over the JK. The hard top is lighter than the JKs and easier to remove, and the soft top is easier to remove, including partial removal of the side windows.

I hear that if you don't get the hard top now, while buying it later is fine, that you may need to also buy the parts for the back washer fluid and electricals as well, where this comes standard in Dual Top orders.

I'm not sure that the soft top comes already installed as some posters have said--true though in JK orders.

The correct factors to use in whether to get the Dual Top, or just the Soft/Hard top now deal with your access to funds, your patience to wait for the aftermarket, and you desire to spend these monies in other areas, be it on your Wrangler or in other areas of life. Pay careful attention to not be lured into the Dual Top by only minimal increases to monthly payments to own or lease your rig, as these small increases per month, occur for many months.

The hard top's difficulty to remove is in part based on whether you get the 2 of 4 door Wrangler, but I would suggest it is at minimum a job for two people without too much height limits. Some tall and strong people take the 4 door hard top off by themselves (see Youtube.) An assorted of options are available or can be made by you at lessor cost to facilitate the top's removal, including by one person, based on whether you have overhead access to a garage to hoist the top off with, or need to do it outside a garage, or how you plan to store the top. I suggest you search posts here for such items. Some people make part or all of top removal equipment from scratch or basic components in the market, like engine cranes.

I should also point out, because you're new to this, the hard top, 4 or 2 door models comes in 3 pieces. Two freedom panels over the front seat, and the back of the hard top. It is this back of the hard top I am referring to when it comes to removal. Taking off and installing the Freedom panels is well within a single person's abilities and for some, (not this poster) the justification for not needing a soft top.

Last edited:

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

Only if you are crazy enough order direct from the dealer (not as a factory option). Mind you I haven't actually looked, but I'm sure Bestop has their soft top options out for the JL, if they don't they will soon.

If OP is patient there will be complete soft top systems popping up on CL sooner or later just like the JK.
Bingo! In due time there will be new JL owners who got the dual top option and will be offloading the soft top. My wife scored a brand new take off soft top for my first JK off or Craigslist The only thing I had to buy were the 4 screws that attached the actual soft top brackets to the sport bar which I got away with for buck or two at Ace Hardware.

Last edited:

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only if you are crazy enough order direct from the dealer. Mind you I haven't actually looked, but I'm sure Bestop has their soft top options out for the JL, if they don't they will soon.

If I am leasing it’s about 10-15 more per month is it worth getting soft top included in leese

Bingo! In due time there will be new JL owners who got the dual top option and will be offloading the soft top. My wife scored a brand new take off soft top for my first JK off or Craigslist The only thing I had to buy were the 4 screws that attached the actual soft top brackets to the sport bar which I got away with for buck or two at Ace Hardware.
The

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

What application is turbo a better options and wheee is v6 better
Sponsored