Sponsored

Can plastic splash guard on standard JL bumper be replaced?

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
Does anyone know if the plastic splash guard on the standard JL bumper can be replaced, without drilling, with the steel skid that comes with the optional mopar steel bumper? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know for sure.

But if you're looking to add a steel skid for your plastic front bumper, take a look at the M.O.R.E. steel skid plate. I just put this skid plate on mine. It took me longer to take the POS stock plastic and thin metal skid off than to install the MORE unit. Took a total of 30 min from start to finish. Plus, the MORE skid is thicker than the MOPAR steel bumper skid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can plastic splash guard on standard JL bumper be replaced? IMG_0246

OP
OP

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
I don't know for sure.

But if you're looking to add a steel skid for your plastic front bumper, take a look at the M.O.R.E. steel skid plate. I just put this skid plate on mine. It took me longer to take the POS stock plastic and thin metal skid off than to install the MORE unit. Took a total of 30 min from start to finish. Plus, the MORE skid is thicker than the MOPAR steel bumper skid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can plastic splash guard on standard JL bumper be replaced? IMG_0246
Nice looking. Does it protect the steering rod as well as the electronic sway bar disconnect?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking. Does it protect the steering rod as well as the electronic sway bar disconnect?
Here's a better look from the front. It's designed to protect the electronic sway bar disconnect. But because I'm still stock height, it does cover the area directly in front of drag link. If I was lifted, this area would be more exposed. Nothing is really going to protect the tie rod/drag link. If you're worried about that, you'd need to get some HD steering (like Synergy, Steersmart, etc).

Jeep Wrangler JL Can plastic splash guard on standard JL bumper be replaced? IMG_0243

OP
OP

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
Here's a better look from the front. It's designed to protect the electronic sway bar disconnect. But because I'm still stock height, it does cover the area directly in front of drag link. If I was lifted, this area would be more exposed. Nothing is really going to protect the tie rod/drag link. If you're worried about that, you'd need to get some HD steering (like Synergy, Steersmart, etc).

Jeep Wrangler JL Can plastic splash guard on standard JL bumper be replaced? IMG_0243

I currently have the optional steel bumper on my Rubi and the steel skid that comes with it protects only the sway bar disconnect. What do you think of this skid---

http://www.asfir.com/Jeep-Wrangler JL/547449

Looks like it would protect the steering rod, what do you think?

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I put the mopar steel skid on mine and then regretted it. I decided I wanted to additional tow brackets underneath that can hold shackles, and where they mount on the frame I would need to cut slots in the skid to fit them. If I had it to do over I would look for a skid that was narrower so I could mount the brackets with no cutting.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have the optional steel bumper on my Rubi and the steel skid that comes with it protects only the sway bar disconnect. What do you think of this skid---

http://www.asfir.com/Jeep-Wrangler JL/547449

Looks like it would protect the steering rod, what do you think?
From what I've read on this forum, everyone likes the Asfir products. This does not look like it extends far enough downward or rearward from the frame horns to really provide any protection to the steering linkage. I don't know of any bumper skid (or anything else on the market) that provides protection for the linkage.

IMO, any skid that would protect the linkage is going to restrict airflow coming up into the engine bay and could possibly affect cooling.
Sponsored